Dave F more photos added 21 June from 1947 to 1955ish

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I presumed that's how it would have got there - though I did have to check the closure date for London Road Low Level. What I meant was that I had never before seen any pictures of GN/LNW Joint line trains with LMS/ex-LMS engines in Victoria.

There is a LMS 2F on a goods at Nottingham Victoria in post #310 on page 14 of this thread and I think there may be some more ex LMS locos at Victoria (besides Class5s which were not uncommon).

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I am beginning to have a slight concern over this thread! When you eventually run out of photos I am going to suffer severe withdrawal symptoms. Perhaps you could start putting the first batches on again, in an effort to fool us into thinking the supply goes on for ever!

I think I may have a slight correction for you on Vol3177, the "J1" at Victoria. I am not sure what it is (Could be a J3,4 or 5) but I am pretty sure it isn't a "1" which had a raised running plate like the J2 and the J6.

Many thanks once again. I know how long it takes scanning and fiddling about with photos and I (and many others, I am sure) really appreciate you making the effort to share this treasure with us.

Tony

• Like 1

There is a LMS 2F on a goods at Nottingham Victoria in post #310 on page 14 of this thread and I think there may be some more ex LMS locos at Victoria (besides Class5s which were not uncommon).

David

Thanks - I'd missed that. I'm not too surprised with an ex-LMS engine on a goods - trip workings took them to all sorts of places (though the caption on that one says it's a train from Northampton). I guess I always assumed that Joint line trains ran into Nottingham Midland once London Road Low Level closed.

About Class 5s at Victoria - were they common there before the takeover by the London Midland region?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

About Class 5s at Victoria - were they common there before the takeover by the London Midland region?

As the thread continues I think you will see some more, so they weren't that rare.

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I am beginning to have a slight concern over this thread! When you eventually run out of photos I am going to suffer severe withdrawal symptoms. Perhaps you could start putting the first batches on again, in an effort to fool us into thinking the supply goes on for ever!

I think I may have a slight correction for you on Vol3177, the "J1" at Victoria. I am not sure what it is (Could be a J3,4 or 5) but I am pretty sure it isn't a "1" which had a raised running plate like the J2 and the J6.

Many thanks once again. I know how long it takes scanning and fiddling about with photos and I (and many others, I am sure) really appreciate you making the effort to share this treasure with us.

Tony

Eventually I expect I'll come to the end of these, but there are always my own black and whites from 1965-9 and many thousands of colour ones of mine and Dad's, mainly diesels and electrics but some steam as well ranging from a few in the 50s to the present day - so far there are around 9,000 on my flickr site.

As for the J1 many thanks, I know rather more about LMSR  and GCR engines than GNR ones.

David

• Like 2

attachicon.gifBagthorpe Junction starter and distant Basford and Bulwell carriage sidings on left JVol3200.jpg

Bagthorpe Junction starter and distant Basford and Bulwell carriage sidings on left JVol3200

David

All the photo's have been absolutely fantastic. Just to pick on the one above the detail is superb!. The safety chains on the slot are clearly visible etc. I'm guessing from what i can see the distant was an inner distant and there was an outer under the home? Edited by LNERGE
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

All the photo's have been absolutely fantastic. Just to pick on the one above the detail is superb!. The safety chains on the slot are clearly visible etc. I'm guessing from what i can see the distant was an inner distant and there was an outer under the home?

I might try and answer that if I find a photo of the relevant signal!

David

• RMweb Gold

I am waiting to see if there are any photos of the up (advanced ?) starters at Nottingham Victoria and how they may have been slotted with the up distants for Weekday Cross Jct.

That would have been photographed against the light which he didn't often do, but there are another 4 and a bit albums to scan so you never know.

David

I might try and answer that if I find a photo of the relevant signal!

David

My next 'modelling' project contains a couple of slots. I'll have to include the safety chains! The detail elsewhere is outstanding. Super photo's!
  • Like 1

Sobering to think the GCR 4-6-0's of various kinds had only recently been withdrawn when the Nottingham Vic pictures were taken circa 1951, but there was enough still around to warm the soul such as the GCR clerestory 'Dido' coaches and the corridor coach in the background of Class A5 69817.

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

Picture 3198 is a K2 rather than a K3. I think it could be on the Lincoln-Nottingham line.

Passed over that bit of line a couple of hours ago, the photo was taken from, I reckon, where the front of EMT's Eastcroft depot now stands.

The large brick building in the background is still standing, just! The 'office block' is derelict but reasonably intact. The 'warehouse' to the right is nothing more than the outer walls held together with tons of scaffolding. Even large sections of the walls are missing. As far as I know they are listed but not, obviously, being maintained in any way. Most of the other structures in view are long gone, including the gas holder.

The C12 in 3201 is almost certainly 67363, there are some clearer pictures and history here;

http://bigkris21.tripod.com/id8.html

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Once again Dad's use of lustre paper has caused scanning problems to which I still don't have a solution and life is too short to clone out every reflective highlight caused by the paper.

David

Hi Dave

Do you have the original negatives?

If so you could scan them if you want better pictures.

(The software for the scanner I have can do prints, slides and negatives, maybe yours doesn't?)

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

Do you have the original negatives?

If so you could scan them if you want better pictures.

(The software for the scanner I have can do prints, slides and negatives, maybe yours doesn't?)

Keith

I don't think David has the original negs anymore.

Most of the negatives were lost in one of my parents' house moves a very long time ago.  I have negs for about 20 of the images!

One day, when I have more time I'l have another go at the more difficult ones, I may even try photographing them but as most of them causing me problems are not all that sharp it's not a very high priority.

By the way, the negatives I do have  of the period (most are not railway ones) are showing deterioration, both fading and silvering.

• RMweb Premium

Most of the negatives were lost in one of my parents' house moves a very long time ago.

That's unfortunate.

The pictures are still excellent as they are. One of the best topics I've seen on RMWeb, each batch has something new.

Keith

EDIT at least you have the pictures.

My very first roll of film, taken in the early-mid fifties at King's Cross was lost before it even got developed!

I never did see what I had photographed.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

at least you have the pictures.

My very first roll of film, taken in the early-mid fifties at King's Cross was lost before it even got developed!

I never did see what I had photographed.

Now that really is annoying.  I never lost a film but I did once have a problem with a memory card - but fortunately the photos I lost were quite local so I was able to re take them.

I remember that Dad once told me about some of the problems he had - he sometimes photographed weddings and more than once problems arose when developing the film and they had to be taken again - fortunately he used to take a batch, leave, develop the film and then he could get back to the reception if a problem arose.

David

JVol 3222 - hard to tell with the light, but I think the BCK still has the large wartime '1' in the window to the left of the door in the first class compartments.

JVol 3223 - has the leading wagon been cut down, or is the top plank missing from the door?  Full of wheels, too, by the look of it - you'd get told that was unprototypical if you did it on a model.

• Like 1