Dave F more photos added 21 June from 1947 to 1955ish

• RMweb Gold

Gold dust for me David that picture, thanks very much for posting. Although slightly after my timeframe, the mix of hopper wagons interests me greatly as there are so few pictures of these trains in my era (which pre-dates the much more well-known iron-ore tippler wagons (that looked liked 16T mineral wagons) which dominated the BR era). :good: Interesting to see the loco tender first as well, I wonder if the picture taken during the time when the Grantham turntable was out of action (where the locos on the iron ore workings were turned, there being no turntable at High Dyke), prior to the triangle being installed?

I can't remember offhand when the triangle was built, the date on the photo is approximate as Dad only dated some of his b/w photos so I have to work from when I knew he was making visits to places.  I certainly have a lot more photos around Grantham as he went there quite often.

There is a photo of an 04 on a rake of ironstone hoppers in LNER days at grantham on page 43 of "LNER Steam at Grantham", Rev A C Cawston Wild Swan, pub1987 ISBN 0 906867 45 2

I may have some more iron ore train photos on the ECML as I still have about six and a half albums to scan!

David

Edited by DaveF

Grantham triangle was commissioned sometime in 1951, after the turntable centre pivot foundations collapsed in 1950. The 'table was temporarily back in use but apparently they couldn't make the ground stable so the triangle was installed instead (information from 'GNR Engine Sheds' [Griffiths & Hooper]). Therefore, there must have been a prolonged period 1950-1951 when turning was only spasmodically available at Grantham, hence my 'theory'! (Home locos were sent to be turned on the Barkston triangle during that time apparently)

Yes, I have the Cawston book and am familiar with the picture you quote. Unlike your Dad's picture, the rake of wagons in the Cawston book are extremely uniform. With Jonathan Weallean's help, we have identified the legend on the side as being 'STANTON'. But there is @20 years difference between the two pictures and things changed dramatically in the steel industry over that time. It seems as if more 'chaotic' collections of wagons were used in the run up to, during and after the war as every available wagon was pressed into service to try and keep up with the demand for steel!

Will keep a look out for your thread for more of the Grantham photos then, as and when ;)  Thanks once again for taking the time and trouble to scan and post.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Further to the livery on D3 62000 at Grantham (photo in post #1 and various later comments).

Having done some  more research - in other words I spent an enjoyable hour or so looking though books I found the following, again in "LNER Steam at Grantham" by Rev Arthur C Cawston, Wild Swan.

"In 1944 D3 4075 was given a new chimney and large cab by Thompson  for use on Directors' specials.  She was painted in lined out green livery, with the LNER crest on the tender.  She was renumbered 2000"  

Apparently for a short time she carried the number 1.

In photos showing the front three quarters view the LNER crest has the same general shape as the early BR crest, so I am confident that the photo at Nottingham Victoria shows the LNER crest, so I think it really was taken in 1948, which fits in with some other photos in Dad's albums.

David

PS 4479 - Many thanks for the date of the Grantham triangle - I once lent someone my GNR sheds Vol1, and I never got it back!

David

Edited by DaveF

Gold dust for me David that picture, thanks very much for posting. Although slightly after my timeframe, the mix of hopper wagons interests me greatly as there are so few pictures of these trains in my era (which pre-dates the much more well-known iron-ore tippler wagons (that looked liked 16T mineral wagons) which dominated the BR era). :good: Interesting to see the loco tender first as well, I wonder if the picture taken during the time when the Grantham turntable was out of action (where the locos on the iron ore workings were turned, there being no turntable at High Dyke), prior to the triangle being installed?

It looks like the loco has come on the train at Grantham all coaled up ready for its next working from Highdyke. Useful pictures these, nice to see the camera trained at something other than trains with pacifics on..... :devil:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Another batch for 15th March.

post-5613-0-92602200-1363368353_thumb.jpg

Cambridge F6 7236 ecs 1948 JVol1219

post-5613-0-24445500-1363368358_thumb.jpg

Cambridge South K2 E1753 up goods 1948 JVol1208

post-5613-0-91568400-1363368362_thumb.jpg

Radford Junction Jubilee 45694 Bellerophon up XP Leeds to St Pancras c1951 JVol1187

post-5613-0-29425600-1363368366_thumb.jpg

Trumpington G2a 8951 up goods Cambridge to Bletchley c1948 JVol1255

David

• Like 19

The coach in post #31 is flush sided, carried full mock teak livery and white roof. The roof isnt unusual but the third class markings (abolished 1940) on the doors is very intriguing for post-war. Smashing sets of pictures right from the beginning.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

These are outstanding photos Dave, thanks very much for posting. The picture of 1188 in post 32 is exceptional! He had a great eye for a shot your Dad. Thanks again,

Best wishes,

Alastair M

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The coach in post #31 is flush sided, carried full mock teak livery and white roof. The roof isnt unusual but the third class markings (abolished 1940) on the doors is very intriguing for post-war. Smashing sets of pictures right from the beginning.

Hi Larry

It looks like it is a diagram 265 non vestibule lavatory third.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One here for LNER 4479.

It's a very poor image but once again shows a late 40s ironstone train with an assortment of wagons.

post-5613-0-65910400-1363609165_thumb.jpg

Grantham Barrowby Road Junction O2 up iron ore c1949 JVol1168

David

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn't worry too much about the quality, it's the content that's the interest.

Keith

Absolutely right. What's more plenty of shots in books appear to have been deliberately printed with the soot-and-whitewash method as "atmospheric", while we know you have little choice!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

"Nottingham Midland LMS 3F 0-6-0T up goods c1949 JVol1347" looks suspiciously like the north end of Rugby Midland!

Yes it does come to think of it - funnily enough Dad's caption is Rugby too - I must remember to check what I type before I press "Post".

Many thanks,

David

• RMweb Gold

A few more for this evening.

post-5613-0-59316000-1363808060_thumb.jpg

Nottingham Victoria J39 4749 and A5 c1948 JVol1161

post-5613-0-61573600-1363808064_thumb.jpg

Nottingham Victoria V2 ex pass Manchester to Marylebone and D2 Nottingham to Grantham  pass c1948 JVol1162

post-5613-0-86613700-1363808067_thumb.jpg

Sutton on Sea area LNER C12 Pass Mablethorpe to Boston c1948 JVol1129

Nice old coaches

post-5613-0-11391400-1363808072_thumb.jpg

Trowell Junction 3F 43778 up goods JVol1098

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 18

A few more for this evening.

attachicon.gifSutton-on Sea area LNER C12 Pass Mablethorpe to Boston c1948 JVol1129.jpg

Sutton on Sea area LNER C12 Pass Mablethorpe to Boston c1948 JVol1129

Nice old coaches

David

You're not kidding! This is one of (the?) ex-GN articulated Louth set(s). Almost certainly the following (or one just like it):

post-16151-0-01954000-1363854651_thumb.jpg

There was a good deal of parsimonious 're-cycling' of old GNR 6-wheel and 8-wheel stock to form articulated rakes in the pre-war era and I'm hoping to put together such a rake for my project.

Thanks ever so much once again for taking the time to post.

(Love the glimpse of the D2 at Nottm Vic as well!)

• Like 11

...and the gorgeous Howlden 45ft composite coach that goes with it!

Have you 'clocked' that the rake depicted above is articulated, Coach? The 6-wheeled gear has been dispensed with and the 4 bodies are sharing five 8 foot Fox bogies. The end brake vehicles may formerly have been 8-wheel rigid stock (according to what I have been able to research thus far), but further details gratefully received for those more 'in the know'. There was a bewildering variety of 2, 3, 4 and 5 vehicle GNR articulated sets formed up in this way. Others, I believe, were built as articulated rakes from the outset (and we're not talking about the more famous Quad or Quint-Arts which were quite separate things). All very confusing but fascinating!

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 3

There was a bewildering variety of 2, 3, 4 and 5 vehicle GNR articulated sets formed up in this way.

Have you got hold of any of Dan Pinnock's kits fo rthese, 4479?  IIRC there are quite detailed notes about the different sets and what they were used for.

• Like 1