Dave F more photos added 21 June from 1947 to 1955ish

• RMweb Gold

This evening while sorting out images for tomorrow I came across a colour print.  As it happens I also have a scan of the slide from which the print was taken.  I'm posting them just to show the difference. The slide was taken in 1952, the print was done in the early 60s.

Stanton Gate Jubilee up Thames Clyde 1952.

post-5613-0-77367700-1365619640_thumb.jpg post-5613-0-01259100-1365619646_thumb.jpg

slide J004                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   print JVol2156

The print was scanned at a relatively (much) higher resolution than the slide.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 18

Hi David -- thank you so much for the daily treat of these fantastic photos.     Can somebody identify the coach behind 45206 and the first coach behind the Ivatt class 2s in the post above (#206)?

Best regards,

Bill

The coach behind the two Ivatt Class 4's is an ex-LNWR corridor third. Interesting inward bow of the bodyside between the toplight windows.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

More lovely stuff! In #206, the 1954 Manchester pics appear to show OLE on both sides of the incoming ECS. Can someone tell me what the arrangement of electric traction was. Presumably electric-hauled trains from the Oxford Road side crossed over before going round to the east?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As far as I recall there was never a connection between to two systems at London Road. The MSJ&A was electrified in 1931, and the 1500v DC was cut back to Oxford Road in 1960 when the Styal Line trains went over to 25KV a.c. The system was fully converted to 25KV in 1971

• Like 2

attachicon.gifSt Pancras Jubilee down ex pass BR Class 4 2-6-4T and Fairbairn 42685 pass St Albans to St Pancras c1954 JVol2142.jpg

St Pancras Jubilee down ex pass BR Class 3 2-6-4T and Fairbairn 42685 pass St Albans to St Pancras c1954 JVol2142

Are you certain it's 42685 - I read it as 42686. (... or is there a written record)?

Regards,

John Isherwood,

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Are you certain it's 42685 - I read it as 42686. (... or is there a written record)?

Regards,

John Isherwood,

It is 42686, I just hit the wrong key, Dad's notes said 42686.

David

The A5 is hauling a GCR non-corridor coach (I built one for Greenfield), probably heading for Marple. I've travelled on the modern looking EMU's to Glossop as well as the ancient looking EMU's from Oxford Road in 1958. In those days both carried EMU green, which was a kind of malachite shade.

Shame the sounds cannot be replicated. Like the zinging sound of coach wheels (seemed to affect Gresley bogies) as they passed through check rails on points (I think)....And the bark and ear pearcing whistle of GCR engines and clanking coupling rods.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic stuff Dave and at last I can add a bit of information.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69274-dave-f-more-photos-added-10-april-from-1947-to-1955ish/?p=1010694

In this post you have one labelled "Chester" - this is taken from the city walls looking out to Wales, the location is Crane Street with the Roodee viaduct just behind the signal box (Crane Street).

• Like 1

The A5 is hauling a GCR non-corridor coach (I built one for Greenfield), probably heading for Marple. I've travelled on the modern looking EMU's to Glossop as well as the ancient looking EMU's from Oxford Road in 1958. In those days both carried EMU green, which was a kind of malachite shade.

Shame the sounds cannot be replicated. Like the zinging sound of coach wheels (seemed to affect Gresley bogies) as they passed through check rails on points (I think)....And the bark and ear pearcing whistle of GCR engines and clanking coupling rods.

Larry,

Can you please help ?   The GC coach behind the A5.   Do you know the Dia No and also, do you know of a source for kits and builders ?

Stuart

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I don't think the first shot is Rugby Dave (with the 2-6-4t), it's a Midland signal

Many thanks, I wondered why I had one captioned as Rugby in a set of (mainly) Nottingham ones.  Until anyone says different I think it's probably somewhere around Trent.

David

• Like 1

Absolutely enthralling photos Dave.........really is incredibly generous of you to share these fantastic images with us all.

What superb memories they bring back for many of us on here I'm sure.

Bob.

• Like 2

Dave, these photos just get better and better. 

As as Rugby resident I was particularly interested in those photos. Your father took a lot of shots where the direct and Northampton lines start to diverge. There is a multi-arched bridge in quite a few of the photos - it no longer exists - but would appear (from old maps) to have just carried a track/path across the railway. Do you know if your father took any shots from this bridge towards Rugby station as I think it would have shown the Peterborough line flyover quite well.

Graham       

• Like 1

Larry,

Can you please help ?   The GC coach behind the A5.   Do you know the Dia No and also, do you know of a source for kits and builders ?

Stuart

John Fozard at North Eastern Design does an etched brass kit for this and a number of GCR matchboard non-corridors.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's not 'my' area, region, or era (if you get what I mean), but these are fascinating photos and I'm really grateful that you've shared them.

Thank you very much.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Dave, these photos just get better and better. 

As as Rugby resident I was particularly interested in those photos. Your father took a lot of shots where the direct and Northampton lines start to diverge. There is a multi-arched bridge in quite a few of the photos - it no longer exists - but would appear (from old maps) to have just carried a track/path across the railway. Do you know if your father took any shots from this bridge towards Rugby station as I think it would have shown the Peterborough line flyover quite well.

Graham       

I haven't come across any yet but if I do find any they will be published on here and flickr - there are still 5 more albums to scan.

David

MR 2P 4-4-0 40407 has cabside number in LMS yellow transfers. Also this loco and the Trent Jubilee in the last picture have had a coat of 'tar' paint brushed onto the smokebox on shed, hence the shine....Not something I have ever seen modelled.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1