Lincoln Holmes Yard

lincoln40a

• 2 weeks later...

Well after 3 months of concentrating on building's , this last week I've had a change and started on the trackwork for the GC warehouse , this will will form part of the release crossover nearest the warehouse a righthand point will be added onto the right end to allow a link to the loco facilties as in the prototype.

Graham

post-18643-0-59553700-1426457406_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Afternoon everyone not much done this week as work and grandad duties have took priority. The only thing I have done is lay some charcoal colour card to represent the concrete floor of the shed. I will soon be removing the warehouse / turntable board to the workshop so l can start on the ground scenics and wiring. So one last shot of that end.for a while plus a shot of the West Holmes end in its current state.

Graham

post-18643-0-18018000-1428841790_thumb.jpg

post-18643-0-57744700-1428843013_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well summer is nearly apon us and modeling time has just about fizzled out as the gardening season builds up , i have been experimenting with ash ballast, this is the ash from our cast iron stove its mostly coal with a bit of wood ash and as we burn coal briquettes a large percentage of cement !My method is to spray diluted pva over the selected area and then the ash is applied using a normal kitchen sieve the area is then sprayed again untill thoroughly wetted, after 24 hrs it seams to be fixed.

Graham

post-18643-0-95239500-1433361468_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...

Well 8 month's have past since l last posted and unfortunately no progress to report. The gardening season came and went but swmbo decided it was time to renovate the living and dining room .so back in July we started hacking off the wall plaster in both room's this spare time work took till October ! Next came the task of installing a tanking membrane to the walls, this entailed driling a total of 900, 8mm holes ,100 mm deep and attaching the membrane with plastic plugs hammered in, by December the original electrics were severed and made safe and a new ring main installed. The week before Christmas our plasterer came ,boarded and skimmed both rooms.Today the electrician has moved all the feeds across to a new consumer unit,

Over Christmas ive sealed and emulsioned the new plaster 3 times , fitted new radiators and im now in the process of piping these up. Thankfully we have a stove and its been a mild winter so far. Next job is a new wooden floor !

For those of you still with me , ive been given permission to post this photo that was on ebay it shows a J6 against the south side of the mess /offices built in the 1950s.

hopefully l can get going on the layout again later in the yaer.

Graham

post-18643-0-20176500-1452544227.jpeg

• 8 months later...

Very sorry to report that 50% of the layout was destroyed by fire yesterday . We were woken by a passing motorist at 7 am yesterday morning as our main outbuilding was going up in flames , a fire had started during the night in an aluminium container belonging to our neighbours that was sited in the gap between ours and their outbuilding, the sections lost are GCR Warehouse section , the West Holmes junction end and the BR goods shed section , the model buildings and turntable well were lookily in the house,

along with the layout , 6 vintage stationary petrol engines 1 MF 35 tractor and 45 yrs of accumulated tooling were lost.

l very much doubt this layout now will ever come to fruition l think a down size is the way forward, but if anyone is interested in taking over the project i'm open to offers, if not l will salvidge the track for a smaller project.

one 27ft x 13ft ,a 8x6 shed and 1/3 of our 60 ft x 13ft outbuilding were completely destroyed !!

I can't go into too much detail about how it started, but there had been a heavy load on our neighbours electrics and a strange smell in the air , our neighbours, outbuilding was also lost along with 4 cars and a JCB , 4 fire engines were in attendance for much of the day

all this followed 3 males being aprehended outside early Saturday evening.

Graham

Very sorry to report that 50% of the layout was destroyed by fire yesterday . We were woken by a passing motorist at 7 am yesterday morning as our main outbuilding was going up in flames , a fire had started during the night in an aluminium container belonging to our neighbours that was sited in the gap between ours and their outbuilding, the sections lost are GCR Warehouse section , the West Holmes junction end and the BR goods shed section , the model buildings and turntable well were lookily in the house,

along with the layout , 6 vintage stationary petrol engines 1 MF 35 tractor and 45 yrs of accumulated tooling were lost.

l very much doubt this layout now will ever come to fruition l think a down size is the way forward, but if anyone is interested in taking over the project i'm open to offers, if not l will salvidge the track for a smaller project.

one 27ft x 13ft ,a 8x6 shed and 1/3 of our 60 ft x 13ft outbuilding were completely destroyed !!

I can't go into too much detail about how it started, but there had been a heavy load on our neighbours electrics and a strange smell in the air , our neighbours, outbuilding was also lost along with 4 cars and a JCB , 4 fire engines were in attendance for much of the day

all this followed 3 males being aprehended outside early Saturday evening.

Graham

Graham, Very sorry to hear that your layout has been badly damaged.  This was one of my favourite subjects on RmWeb-I lived in Lincoln for many years, and I followed your posts assiduously.  I have been researching the railways of Lincolnshire for many years, and your project brought back many memories of what Holmes Yard was like when I first lived in the city.  Apart from that, as an engineer, I can appreciate the loss of equipment and tools as a severe blow.

I trust that you will get over this-I would certainly consider taking over the project; living in Australia mitigates against this.  

My sympathies, and Best Wishes. 

• RMweb Premium

Very sorry to hear about this catastrophe & all your work on this unique project being lost. I worked across the road from the GC Warehouse & always was interested in the progress.

Sounds like some exotic cultivation may have been occurring next door....?

Dava

Many thanks for all you're friendjy support,

the loss adjuster seems to think i am under insured for what we've lost .

Its just over half the value of our contents cover, but should be ok with the rebuilding of the structures.

Insurance fire investigator coming tomorrow.

Graham

• RMweb Premium

A  bit of a lesson for us all here. Lofts, sheds, outbuildings containing model railways and other stuff of course; is the Insurance up to it or even valid in some cases (like my loft for example)?

What a horrible time for you and yours. All the very best for the future.

Phil

Archived