First ever efforts in Black & White

It was about 1972, I hadn't caught a fish all year so I hung up my rod, put my worm back where I found it, and that was when my late wife said "Right, I'm not having you under my feet all day, here's a copy of a trainset magzine ( The RM ) outside is a shed ( Old Pig Stye ) here's an empty Cornflakes packet, go and build your son a trainset - but whatever you do, do something!"

So a few months later, here's  what I came up,  and my son never even looked at it - he had found something far more interesting - a bottle of my after shave and the girl next door! - I had found a whole new way of life oh, and a happy wife!

Allan.

post-18579-0-01296900-1363115678_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-19872400-1363115558.jpgpost-18579-0-40873500-1363115424.jpgpost-18579-0-36819800-1363115253_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-02902600-1363115149.jpgpost-18579-0-83281500-1363115001.jpgpost-18579-0-72336500-1363114834.jpgpost-18579-0-38890900-1363114634.jpgpost-18579-0-18331100-1363114341.jpgpost-18579-0-09342600-1363114243.jpgpost-18579-0-29396600-1363114041.jpgpost-18579-0-90302600-1363113909.jpg

Love the broken roof on that barn, it makes laying individual tiles worthwhile for that result.

What I see in these pictures is what I have recently realised, we often just build a single building and plonk it on a layout in isolation, its the grouping of several buildings into a believable scene that makes a layout really stand out.

• RMweb Gold

I thought I had patience but blimey. Those Tudor style buildings are awesome.

Actually, Larry, for some of us you and Allan were among the standard-setters of our late-youth. Allan will enrich this forum just as you do.

• RMweb Premium

Oh yes, this is fantastic!  It must have been only a few years after '72 that I picked up RM for the first time and saw your build of a local pub; the backstory and description was so funny I spent most of the time in hysterics never mind trying to follow the modelling - nothing's changed I see...!

More please!

David

Hi Allan,

Welcome to the fold and thanks for all the inspiration you gave me all those years ago! I still enjoy scratch building model buildings as my favourite aspect of our hobby.

Alan.

Another guitarist, eh, there's quite a few of us lurking about on here!

I play bass guitar (Fender Jazz) in a middle-aged rock and blues covers band mostly around the pubs of Oxford and thereabouts.

Cheers,

Alan.

Love the broken roof on that barn, it makes laying individual tiles worthwhile for that result.

What I see in these pictures is what I have recently realised, we often just build a single building and plonk it on a layout in isolation, its the grouping of several buildings into a believable scene that makes a layout really stand out.

Further to my own post, I was going through some old magazines yesterday evening as I am having a clear out, and keeping all articles and plans of interest but binning (re-cycling) the adverts, and in the January 1979 RM there is the article by Allan on making the Barn that I refer to above.

Talk about coincidence....

Further to my own post, I was going through some old magazines yesterday evening as I am having a clear out, and keeping all articles and plans of interest but binning (re-cycling) the adverts, and in the January 1979 RM there is the article by Allan on making the Barn that I refer to above.

Talk about coincidence....

Hi Campaman.

I suppose it was my usual drivel - everything but how the model was built!

Regards. Allan

Takes me back to Railway Modeller in the seventies and being open mouthed as a ten year old at what some people could achieve.

It must still be as good, because it's 2013 and i am sitting here open mouthed. 

I'm not 10 though.

Hi Campaman.

I suppose it was my usual drivel - everything but how the model was built!

Regards. Allan

Actually there is a nice drawing of the basic frame structure of the barn with a cutaway of how the outer layers are then applied, so it has been filed away for future reference, not sure if thats what you call your usual drivel :no:

But useful all the same... :-)

Hi BOB.

Next time you're out that way, can you pop in and give Mike McDonald, the owner, my best regards.

Thanks.

Allan.

With the greatest of pleasure, Allan !    I spoke to him at great length last Summer and got the impression that the rest of the layout had to come up to the standard of the buildings  :whistle:

I'm about 24 miles SSW just below Spilsby although my Mate, Steve, lives in Mablethorpe and he assisted with the SM3s, using the actual contacts thereon; you know, the ones we are supposed not to trust......

Mine's a 1990 Strat XII, modded with an HSS setup - luckily we live in a detached bungalow .  Shads fan of course, must be my age  :jester:

Happy days !

Hi Bob.

Sunburst Strat, Boss mixer amp combined - p-h-e-n-o-m-i-n-a-l - ALESIS QUADERVERB TWO -every echo unit ever manufactured PROGRAMMED IN plus EVERY STUDIO sound setting for EVERY Shads number recorded -(Apache, absolutely unbelievable!!!) and the late Jet Harris' Nobels peddle board - I don't just sound like Hank, I'm even starting to kook like him!!!!

Hallan.

Archived