First ever efforts in Black & White

That'll be the gap between the knees that we all developed, the crouching position and the specs !  Funny how these things return in later life......  I have an ASR DKA-1210 DSP  digital mixing amp these days and the Strat actually lives on a proper hook on the wall.

Back in 1962, of course, the band plus equipment fitted into a Ford Zephyr taxi  :sungum: 

That'll be the gap between the knees that we all developed, the crouching position and the specs !  Funny how these things return in later life......  I have an ASR DKA-1210 DSP  digital mixing amp these days and the Strat actually lives on a proper hook on the wall.

Back in 1962, of course, the band plus equipment fitted into a Ford Zephyr taxi  :sungum: 

Or a Transit Van with an eternaly flat battery...

Hi Bob.

Sunburst Strat, Boss mixer amp combined - p-h-e-n-o-m-i-n-a-l - ALESIS QUADERVERB TWO -every echo unit ever manufactured PROGRAMMED IN plus EVERY STUDIO sound setting for EVERY Shads number recorded -(Apache, absolutely unbelievable!!!) and the late Jet Harris' Nobels peddle board - I don't just sound like Hank, I'm even starting to kook like him!!!!

Hallan.

Hi Bob.

Sunburst Strat, Boss mixer amp combined - p-h-e-n-o-m-i-n-a-l - ALESIS QUADERVERB TWO -every echo unit ever manufactured PROGRAMMED IN plus EVERY STUDIO sound setting for EVERY Shads number recorded -(Apache, absolutely unbelievable!!!) and the late Jet Harris' Nobels peddle board - I don't just sound like Hank, I'm even starting to kook like him!!!!

Hallan.

Perhaps I should get my old gretsch kit out of it's cases and we can form a RMWeb Garage band!

Seriously, your work has been an inspiration to me over the years, some of those buildings in photos look like old friends.  Slightly strange to send an email to their creator after all this time as a follower.

Keep posting; this has given what was already a good forum some new energy.

Regards

Andrew

Perhaps I should get my old gretsch kit out of it's cases and we can form a RMWeb Garage band!

Seriously, your work has been an inspiration to me over the years, some of those buildings in photos look like old friends.  Slightly strange to send an email to their creator after all this time as a follower.

Keep posting; this has given what was already a good forum some new energy.

Regards

Andrew

I reckon there's more guitarists on this Forum than there are modellers!!

It works both ways Andrew, it's given me inspiration after meeting a great bunch of Guys who actully remember that I even existed - I mean, even my own wife forgets who I am at times!

Best regards.

Allan

Aha! Finally caught up with you Mr Downes. You have a lot to answer for. Corrupting 15 year-old lads!

Those cottages and your method of individual tiling - I believed it all. Nearly sent me barmy picking and laying the slates.  :crazy:

And then I had to go searching for a tin of Colron Peruvian Mahogany Wood Dye to colour the roof! 

I was so stressed after doing the roof I just threw sand on the side of my cottage - I couldn't be bothered with anything else.

Seriously Allan, those early articles were wonderful inspiration. I still have my cottage after all those years. 

Nice to see you here still inspiring us :)

post-954-0-43091300-1363366687.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hi Allan,

You know, every new generation of modelers think that they are upping the bar on the last lot, but your work proves that a complete nonsense.  We really do only stand on the shoulders of giants and what makes this even more magnificent is the materials available back then were far more basic than what we have at hand today.  There really is nothing new under the sun and I can't wait to start seeing future posts from you on how it should be done.  

Mike

Ah Mr Downes, I do believe that model of the bottle kiln was constructed from individual clay bricks?

Or was I hallucinating on eating too much Yorkie Bar (just introduced) and glugging Corona Lemonade as I read and re-read the Railway Modeller as a  12 year old?

That would have been the Windmill scene - pyruma bricks baked in the oven!

Anyway, I do appreciate your following my work for all those years - great for the ego!!

All my best wishes.

Allan.

Hi Bob.

Hallan.

Back in 1964,I had a 1964 Strat,i remember it was £179, bought from Berrys in EdmontonN.London,I also had a Vox AC30 Top Boost.Like all things,it eventually had to go,having discovered cars & girls,perhaps it`s just as well,the Strat would have been worth a small fortune today & there was always the chance of it being stolen if it was taken anywhere.However,what goes around comes around & i now have a Mexican 1950`s reissue Sunburst Strat & a Line 6 Spider jam amp.I`ve lost most of the limited playing skills that i had in the sixties but with Youtube,it`s fun relearning.

Back to the models,i remember you using cat litter for mud!!!

Ray.

Brilliant stuff, Allan, I might be wrong here but I seem to remember a series of pretty ornate city buildings that were destined for (I think) a guy with an Italian sounding name, if I'm right and I'm not saying I am do you have any pictures of these?

Cheers, Mark.

Brilliant stuff, Allan, I might be wrong here but I seem to remember a series of pretty ornate city buildings that were destined for (I think) a guy with an Italian sounding name, if I'm right and I'm not saying I am do you have any pictures of these?

Cheers, Mark.

Hi Mark.

You would be refering to the large layout tagged as  "City Splendour"  that appeared in the RM many years ago now and the layout was never finished - it was in 4 mil, and the Italian gentleman you refer to changed his mind within a few months of completion to go O gauge!

However Mark, I have no pictures now but I'll see what I can do anyway as I know people that have - but I do have a picture of said gentleman, myself and Tony Wright posing  in front of his O gauge layout, 'Elizabeth Street' and this was sometime in the 80s and I can put it up later if you would be interested.

Best regards.

Allan

Hi Mark.

You would be refering to the large layout tagged as  "City Splendour"  that appeared in the RM many years ago now and the layout was never finished - it was in 4 mil, and the Italian gentleman you refer to changed his mind within a few months of completion to go O gauge!

However Mark, I have no pictures now but I'll see what I can do anyway as I know people that have - but I do have a picture of said gentleman, myself and Tony Wright posing  in front of his O gauge layout, 'Elizabeth Street' and this was sometime in the 80s and I can put it up later if you would be interested.

Best regards.

Allan

That'd be fantastic if you could Allan, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

More sycophantic ego-massaging coming 'Downes' your way Alan,

Great to be able to engage with one of the 'greats' of our wonderful hobby. I am yet another who used to read all about and marvel at your wonderful creations, as so often depicted in the pages of RM and others. Above all I loved the humour in the articles that made them so readable. Dare I admit that I might even have kept one or two articles in my modelling folders as continued inspiration?

Keep posting and entertaining us. :derisive:

More sycophantic ego-massaging coming 'Downes' your way Alan,

Great to be able to engage with one of the 'greats' of our wonderful hobby. I am yet another who used to read all about and marvel at your wonderful creations, as so often depicted in the pages of RM and others. Above all I loved the humour in the articles that made them so readable. Dare I admit that I might even have kept one or two articles in my modelling folders as continued inspiration?

Keep posting and entertaining us. :derisive:

Thank you kind Sir for your uplifting comments, but I wouldn't believe in everything I wrote, it's not good for your health !

Best regards.

Allan.

• 2 weeks later...

It was about 1972, I hadn't caught a fish all year so I hung up my rod, put my worm back where I found it, and that was when my late wife said "Right, I'm not having you under my feet all day, here's a copy of a trainset magzine ( The RM ) outside is a shed ( Old Pig Stye ) here's an empty Cornflakes packet, go and build your son a trainset - but whatever you do, do something!"

So a few months later, here's  what I came up,  and my son never even looked at it - he had found something far more interesting - a bottle of my after shave and the girl next door! - I had found a whole new way of life oh, and a happy wife!

Allan.

attachicon.gif

Hi Dad,

I've joined!  Thank you Andy for allowing me.

Right, a bone or two to pick with you old man (Dad not Andy)!  After 41 years the first I have learned that 'Piper's Mead' belonged to me!  That is good news! 

Secondly, I loved that layout and remember every little detail particularly the back gardens with their vegetable patches and washing hanging on the line and I'll never forget the marching band in the street.  Magical times for a 5 year old, I was lucky.  You also seem to forget Dad that I made a Lego signal box which you placed on the track for me just as Mum and I were off somewhere, it was gone when we returned!

So anyway, I've got some serious playtime to make up, 41 years to be precise so where's MY Piper's Mead?

Shane

www.miniaturesbyshane.blogspot.co.uk

Archived