Tyneside electrics

• 11 months later...
6 hours ago, North Eastern said:

I've come across this website which has 3D printed bodies of the NER & LNER Tyneside electric units -

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com/3D-printing/passenger-stock-lner/3d_printed_tyneside-railcars.htm

.... the proprietor of which is a member here, and has kept us informed of his productions.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 2

• 1 year later...
On 26/07/2021 at 20:02, cctransuk said:

Interesting to see the full BRITISH RAILWAYS on an EMU.

John Isherwood.

And equally interesting, four years after the war ended, to see the driver's side window still with the anti-blast plating in place. It would suggest that it was only ever operated at the same end of the train, coupled with a normal electric unit, rather than on  its own.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Arpster said:

Did it run ok at the weekend, John?

It took a bit of persuasion to get going but given that it had never run before and the limitations of Duncans' test track I was happy with it.  I'll stick it on the rolling road for a couple of hours at some point.

It ran well enough that, before I left, I bought the turnouts and track that I need for the Newcastle Quayside layout I've been planning :)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Arpster said:

Sounds like you might be needing to borrow Duncan's J72 as well (or my dad's J71!).

I will as the ES1 only went as far as the yard and not out on to the Quayside itself.  An 03 would also be useful depending on what year I decide to base the layout on.  Still debating what colour to paint it - the green loves very nice but I'm a bit worried about the lining so I might bottle it and go for the black scheme...

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hello everyone!

I am currently in the process of researching the N.E.R. Tyneside clerestory electrics so that I may build a rake of them (either 3D printed or brass etched), but I am having some great difficulties locating any reference material.

Because I am in the States, it's difficult for me to schedule visits to archives, so that limits my scope of research. The internet does not have many photos or drawings of them, and a lot of the pictures and links posted here no longer work. If anyone has references they are able to share (i.e. diagrams, component drawings, photos, even videos if possible!), please feel free to add them to the thread. 

Cheers, 
Julien.

• Friendly/supportive 1

See if you can get a copy of "North Eastern electrics: The History of the Tyneside electric passenger services 1904-1967 by Ken Hoole by Oakwood Press. It will be out of print but if you can obtain a copy it's a good start. Don't pay the silly Amazon price £80!?!? There are book sellers with it at sensible prices.

Edited by Trestrol
  • Agree 4