Tyneside electrics

And although I lived in Liverpool at the time, I was sent to South Shields for my College time as an Engineer cadet... Different company to Neil though...

Mark

Moi aussi! When were you there?

Do I spy a Donkey jacket I wonder if it has N.C.B on the back!! They were a niffty shade of day-glo orange if I recall :no:

Only after about 1976-77.

NCB on Black plastic prior to that or just even NCB printed directly onto the cloth. There was the "much Sought after" 1967 blue plastic shoulder protection but that was ultra rare.

I've still got a NCB orange one stashed away somwhere but for the time being here's a pic of another from my collection.

post-508-0-30312600-1370788487.jpg

And for anybody modelling a coal mine, or the Harton Electric system, the Bachmann coal miners are only suitable for after, about 1978-9. It was about that time the NCB orange overall scheme was introduced. Prior to that miners generally wore old home clothes with dress jacket and waistcoat. (I kid you not) Those wearing overalls were generally craftsmen and senior officials.

Porcy (Curator of the Donkey Jacket Museum) ;)  and with further apologies for drifting off topic.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 6

Ha way lad you forgot the cap!!.My Grandpa was shaftsman (great job title ) at the Dolly shaft hence my love of Philadelphia.I was never botherd about the three pits in my home town of Seaham but if I could get into Phili yard I was like a pig in the proverbial

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Femme! Do you mean Femmer?

A great North Eastern word to all who know and love it.

Sod Cockney rhyming slang, Geordie and it's derivatives, with its mix of old English and Scandinavian takes some beating.

Ye canna whack it man.

Mike

Pronoonced femmer, yes, kidda.  As it is scawegian the 'e' is pronoonced 'er', yer knaa.

Annits still canny smaal for that current, but it sortainly lukks like it's a tracshun fuse, man.

NHN, child of Sooth Sheelds man. :jester:

• Like 2

Pronoonced femmer, yes, kidda.  As it is scawegian the 'e' is pronoonced 'er', yer knaa.

Annits still canny smaal for that current, but it sortainly lukks like it's a tracshun fuse, man.

NHN, child of Sooth Sheelds man. :jester:

Is there much sand to dance on in the Isle of Man?

Mike

(Who approaching 50, still expects a clip round the ear from his nana for "talking common". )

• Like 1

Owt's warmer than Seaham beach!! beieve me.

Having been submerged to the chest on Whitley Bay beach on New Years Day 1995 as a result of an alcohol fuelled experiment (at high tide, is it possible to run from one set of stairs to the next between waves? No :)) I can well believe it :D.

• RMweb Premium

Having been submerged to the chest on Whitley Bay beach on New Years Day 1995 as a result of an alcohol fuelled experiment (at high tide, is it possible to run from one set of stairs to the next between waves? No :)) I can well believe it :D.

Ah Whitley Bay where my mate locked himself out of his car so i went to a dry cleaners and asked if they had a spare coat hanger, the girl asked what I wanted it for so I replied "To screw a car down by the beach" so she handed me two coat hangers.   What a place.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

Whitley Bay - with the Royal Hotel,( AKA the Boiler Shop), on the seafront, opposite the Rex Hotel...  A little more upmarket than the Jungle :jester:

What a place indeed :O

But we digress :triniti:

Mark

• RMweb Premium

That brings back a few memories, although it is hardly recognisable now.  I was 7 when that was taken!

The clerestory coach was there until the 70's, I presume it was some form of mess van, it decayed where it stood after just about everything else in that photo went.  Access to Tyne Dock Metro station is still up that ramp!  That's Wright's biscuit (later dog biscuit!) factory on the left.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The box steps are visible just to the left of the WD tender - IIRC it's 'Harton Junction' not Tyne Dock - I spent a lot of time in there in later years when a (late - RIP, 'Plum') friend from our railway club was the bobby there!  It was just MetCam's by then, plus the colliery traffic. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, there's definitely nothing at all left on the quayside now, had a look about when I was out on the bike yesterday afternoon.

Depends how hard you search.......there are one or two bits of 'groundwork/walling/topographical' stuff, but zero railway of course. I had a good butchers around there on foot about four or five years ago. Much more to recognise up at what was Trafalgar Yard.

Cheers, P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

That picture is so 'atmospheric' - thanks for posting it, Michael. Unless someone beats me to it, if I remember, next time I'm on leave & find myself up in 'Sheels' I'll try & get a photo from that spot of how it all looks today...

Mark

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good find, Porcy. What a lovely pic that is. Pity the OP couldn't spell "Westoe", but there we go...

Mark

Edited to remove the trypink errerr kindly pointed oot by Wor Porcy...

Edited by MarkC