Tyneside electrics

Is that Team Valley industrial estate in the background? would be heading north if it is.

It certainly seems to be, albeit in a smaller form to nowadays. I think the hedgerow/ embankment running just in front of the buildings was the original rail line that served the site; in latter days, there was simply a connection off the Low Fell- Norwood Junction line which served the Greenmarket and the BRS depot, but previously, there had been a few rail-served factories. I'd say the photo had been taken about where the bridge that people used to photograph Tyne Yard from is now. The vehicle's one of the LNER-built 'Perambulator' vans, isn't it?

I think you're right, Brian. The sidings for the Team Valley Trading Estate would have been on the other side of the slow lines (and are visible in some of that contributor's other photos on that site - sadly it's not the easiest website to navigate or link to, but there are loads of other gems in that area on there with some fantastic freights behind Claytons, EE Type 3s with brake tenders and even EE Type 1s!).

It does look to be a 'Perambulator' van, yes. How often did the Tyneside electrics make it off their patch onto the mainline? I guess most of their repairs and maintenance were done at Gosforth?

Arp

Percy Mane's Railway Trivia fact no. 1347.

Just so happens the chimney from 60034 Lord Farringdon, lived in a back garden that backed on to the ECML about 100 yards beyond the PW cabin on the right hand side of the picture from 1968 to 1972.  :)

I wonder how many folk saw it when passing by in a train?

Porcy

• RMweb Premium

Certainly the Teams estate in the background. Photo taken from the bridge linking the Teams with Low Fell, one of my favourite photo spots. The Tyne Yard bridge is to the south of this one. Dunston is in the hollow in the middle background whilst the more distant hillside is Newcastle west.

Branch though Bensham to Dunston and Blaydon stll there. Compare this with one I took in the sixties.

Many more photos taken at this spot can be found in the first link of my signature.

ArthurK

post-6751-0-94910200-1406640816.jpg

Edited by ArthurK
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Looks like it may be a summer weekend, with all those folks off to the beach, perhaps;or returning from?

All those daring Tynesiders. I can piture it now, deck chair set up and its off with the flat cap and on with knotted hankie. :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

The vehicle's one of the LNER-built 'Perambulator' vans, isn't it?

No, it's a Motor Parcels Van, one of two built in 1937. There were two 1937 stock Perambulator vans converted in 1951 from 'Luggage Motor Third Double Driving' cars (bit of a mouthful!), The luggage compartment doors were widened and 12 bucket seats were replaced with seats running along the sides.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys i am new to this ive been reading through all of the posts ! thank you for the fantastic photos. Quick quesiton, Has anyone got any photo's of the avenue branch line/junction at monkseaton ? From what i have gathered according to disused stations the avenue branch was put out of service in 1964 and the track bed was ripped up. i cant find any photos showing the actual junction at monkseaton station. also any photo's of the avenue you branch you guys have would be great there are limited photos on disused station and i have also struggled to find any on google ! thanks :) 

Hi guys i am new to this ive been reading through all of the posts ! thank you for the fantastic photos. Quick quesiton, Has anyone got any photo's of the avenue branch line/junction at monkseaton ? From what i have gathered according to disused stations the avenue branch was put out of service in 1964 and the track bed was ripped up. i cant find any photos showing the actual junction at monkseaton station. also any photo's of the avenue you branch you guys have would be great there are limited photos on disused station and i have also struggled to find any on google ! thanks :)

The junction was in the cutting just beyond the road bridge at the north-east end of the station. The trackbed still exists and is a footpath/cycle-track. Although it ought to have been easy enough to take photos of the junction, because it wasn't actually within the station boundary, it probably wasn't regarded as particularly exciting.

In searching its worth remembering that the present station [and junction] isn't the original, which was literally across the road on a site now occupied by a health centre. There is at least one decent photo floating about showing this station taken from the level crossing on what's now Marine Avenue. Both station and crossing are long gone, but ironically the photographer would have been standing with his back to the original junction.

The junction was in the cutting just beyond the road bridge at the north-east end of the station. The trackbed still exists and is a footpath/cycle-track. Although it ought to have been easy enough to take photos of the junction, because it wasn't actually within the station boundary, it probably wasn't regarded as particularly exciting.

In searching its worth remembering that the present station [and junction] isn't the original, which was literally across the road on a site now occupied by a health centre. There is at least one decent photo floating about showing this station taken from the level crossing on what's now Marine Avenue. Both station and crossing are long gone, but ironically the photographer would have been standing with his back to the original junction.

its a shame there is not more footage of it, ive found only a few photos of the avenue branch but there all from the avenue station.,  i live locally there in whitley bay and have walked many of times up and down that wagon way. i was astonished when i found out it used to be a railway going up toward blyth. if you find any decent photo's please post them thanks !

• 3 years later...

All those daring Tynesiders. I can piture it now, deck chair set up and its off with the flat cap and on with knotted hankie. :sungum:

There used to be queues in the East End of the Central Station on summer weekends for the trains to the coast on some days drowned rats would get off the inbound one, only to be replaced by dry ones travelling out in anticipation of a good time!

Mark Saunders

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Just found this resurrected thread after seeing E3109's post yesterday and I also spent an hour or so having a catch-up. I notice there is a link to one of my pics (on the Rail Photo Archive site) and there was a bit of discussion about it.  Here it is again:

post-24907-0-98331900-1537875524_thumb.jpg

Although I hadn't made a note of the identities at the time of the picture, taken on 17th June 1967, we are now pretty certain the Clayton is D8594 and the parcels van is E29467E. The consensus is that the unit was in use just as a parcels van, although I had never heard of that occurrence before and the only other photo I have seen of such a working was of the same combination at Newcastle Central later that day, although going round the platform avoiding lines. 

The location of my picture was what we knew at the time as 'Chowdene Bridge'. This connected the south end of the Team Valley Trading Estate (on the left) with the Low Fell area of Gateshead (to my right) via a steep road called Chowdene Bank.

Here's the view the other way, as D278 heads north shortly after passing Tyne Yard in the background. The bridge carried the NCB line which took coal from Ravensworth Park Drift Mine (away to the right) up the steep cable-worked incline and connected with the rest of the NCB system.

post-24907-0-16550900-1537876379_thumb.jpg

D278 near Lamesley (Tyne Yard) August 1968

A few posts later ArthurK uploaded a super shot of an A2 with a northbound train - this was taken from the bridge a mile or so north of Chowdene Bridge which we knew as 'Low Fell Bridge'. This was the site of Low Fell station which had closed in the 1950s and where I spent my formative 'spotting years' in the mid sixties, although sadly I did not see any A2s there, apart from 60532 light engine on its way to Darlington Works in 1965/66.

I have several shots of Tyneside electrics which I can upload later, as this post is dragging on a bit! The original thread also touched on the NCB Harton electric locos and I have a couple of those as well.

Cheers

Trevor

Edited by Trev52A
  • Like 10

Here is a shot of a couple of Tyneside Electrics in the old platforms 1&2 at Newcastle Central on 6th may 1967. Interestingly, the DMU in platform 3 shows the destination 'Alnwick'. I didn't make a note of any numbers at the time but the unit on the right shows as E29164E

.post-24907-0-10542700-1537974919_thumb.jpg

Newcastle 6th May 1967

As a comparison, here's a modern view at exactly the same spot!

post-24907-0-66025500-1537975178_thumb.jpg

The site of platforms 1 to 3 in 2016

Trevor

• Like 11

I was on the 'last run' of the North Tyneside electrics on 17th June 1967 (the same day I photographed the Clayton and baggage car at Chowdene bridge).

post-24907-0-15692300-1538049677_thumb.jpg

post-24907-0-83095400-1538049733_thumb.jpg

Climbing aboard at Newcastle - other photographers identify this unit as E29311E

The chap off-centre left with the railway hat was the notorious(!) John Arnott-Brown

post-24907-0-39460500-1538050111_thumb.jpg

The driver at Whitley Bay

post-24907-0-65217600-1538050198_thumb.jpg

Looking back along the train at Backworth station, with the NCB line crossing on a bridge over the platforms

post-24907-0-53521400-1538050503_thumb.jpg

Ditto at Longbenton

post-24907-0-01091900-1538050559_thumb.jpg

After arrival back at Newcastle, with E29144E which was on the rear

Trevor

• Like 9