Tyneside electrics

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Arthur. Good to hear from you again so thanks for posting  those. I think the ES1s had been withdrawn by the time the above pics were taken?

P

I have the date down as 1962 for the J72. The others at Heaton I have as October 1963 but with these early shots I could be wrong.

ArthurK

• Like 1

Thanks Arthur. Good to hear from you again so thanks for posting  those. I think the ES1s had been withdrawn by the time the above pics were taken?

I seem to remember in a previous discussion about the J72 that it was beside the Co-op mills? If so where were they then in relation to the lower tunnel? Were they out the gate and east? 

P

Well East.

East of the Ouseburn. The rails crossed the Ouseburn on a bridge.

It was Spillers mill. Rails were still in. Don't know if they still are as the mill was recenttly reduced to landfill.

You can still see the canopy the J72 is next to in this view oblique view; http://binged.it/141BEcW

That bing page is due an update soon so it may well change. The aerial view shows the mill being demolished. 

The rails served a few more wharves east of spillers.

Not sure of the provenance of these views so I'll pull them if anyone complains.

post-508-0-61547000-1363399415.jpg

post-508-0-67635200-1363399431.jpg

Incidentally, I've been told that Type 37 engines were refurbished at British Engines that was situated behind the warehouse in the second photograph. Can anyone confirmthat?

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

I really did think the entrance was more in line with the west gable end of the church, which would put it closer to the turning circle. If the end of the wall still visible is the same as in the picture above, then the building the chimney is attached to must be longer than I've thought or something, nevermind.

No no. You are spot on. Well... I'll settle for the East gable of the church having just checked on old maps.  For some reason I'd marked the old entrance to Ann Street (well thats my excuse) on the Aerial view I'd marked up for Mallard. So disregard my earlier bull.

P

EDIT: Post #77 now corrected with updated location image following a nudge in the right direction...

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

The tyneside epb. Would you be able to make one of them from the replica half brake suburban which has a larger brake section, by filling in the unneeded guards door and window and adding a driving cab? You would also need to make one of the twin doors inward opening.

The tyneside epb. Would you be able to make one of them from the replica half brake suburban which has a larger brake section, by filling in the unneeded guards door and window and adding a driving cab? You would also need to make one of the twin doors inward opening.

You could use Replica cabs too which are available as a separate item - I have been known to have use the odd one these at times! :declare: 

XF

• RMweb Premium

I travelled on the North Tyneside electrics many, many times on trips to the coast. I you timed it right you could get a change of scenery by taking the riverside line. That was mainly for the workmen in the shipyards that used to stretch all along the north bank of the Tyne. Often the queues were all the way from the platform ends, back out of the portico and 200 yards beyond but. trains were frequent and it didn't take too long to reach the front! Those were the days!

Those wrap-around seats were great. One thing that I have not heard mentioned is the sliding doors. They were frequently left open. No automatic doors then. Health & Safety would have had a field day had they existed. I can just remember the change over from red/cream to blue/cream. I don't recall any trips on the older stock we never went for days out to South Shields.

ArthurK

• Like 1

When the Electrics were withdrawn and replaced by DMU's the redundant sets were stored along the Ponteland branch. I can remember stored units at Callerton and on the stub of the Darras Hall branch at Ponteland. Unfortunately I didn't have a camera at the time!

Ernie

• Like 1

Any one had a look up there lately, just in case...  :scratchhead:

I think they were there for a few months maybe even a year or two; on reflection I walked past the Darras Hall branch ones often enough. Now if I had just acquired a bit each time I passed I could have rebuilt one eventually! Thinking back if I remember right the ES1 that was scrapped was cut up at Willoughby's at Choppington and the late Paul Humphries son of the owners had a section of the cabside with the number on it. Dave F can you remember if this is right?

Ernie

• Like 1

I think they were there for a few months maybe even a year or two; on reflection I walked past the Darras Hall branch ones often enough. Now if I had just acquired a bit each time I passed I could have rebuilt one eventually! Thinking back if I remember right the ES1 that was scrapped was cut up at Willoughby's at Choppington and the late Paul Humphries son of the owners had a section of the cabside with the number on it. Dave F can you remember if this is right?

Ernie

Mr Gallon to take the glory for reporting this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...d-tyne-21742168

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69282-ner-es1-panels-found-in-garden/&do=findComment&comment=976718

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Gold

Ernie

I'm sure that's right Ernie.  I think I remember Paul telling me about it once, not long after I moved up here.

David

It was Spillers mill. Rails were still in. Don't know if they still are as the mill was recenttly reduced to landfill.

The rails were still there when I cycled along the Quayside before Christmas. I can't see them taking them out for a while, although there are plans afoot to redevelop that area of the quay next. Off topic, I know, but it's amazing how long rails hang around in roads long after the railway has gone. The rails along the south pier at South Shields are still in situ, but the strangest ones I ever found were left, still surrounded by their stone setts, in the level crossing where the old Wallridge Mineral Railway crossed the 'Limestone Road' west of Ponteland here: http://binged.it/YmAbqs

Or in Streetview: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=ponteland&sll=54.577211,-1.211843&sspn=0.017138,0.055747&g=Middlesbrough,+United+Kingdom&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Ponteland,+Newcastle+Upon+Tyne,+Tyne+And+Wear,+United+Kingdom&ll=55.048446,-1.788969&spn=0.008421,0.027874&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=55.048415,-1.789186&panoid=9R7VtnXqu_NCI_ptKN15_Q&cbp=12,82.61,,0,18.49

Arp

Edited by Arpster
  • Like 2

just going back to this page again http://www.railways.whblakey.co.uk/index.php?page=tyneside-electrics

whats interesting is the housing in the background at South Gosford, in later shots high rise flats have sprung up, looking on google earth now it appears that the flats and houses in these shots have gone?

I'm trying to work out where that photo might have been taken. I know it is captioned as being Gosforth East Jnc, but I live not a mile from there and I am struggling to think where those flats might have been. They are very much in keeping with other flats built in the 1960s by T Dan Smith's mate Mr Coulson at Shieldfield, Elswick, Walker etc but I can't recall seeing any over Longbenton way. Perhaps they have been demolished in the intervening years but the ones at Cruddas Park of that design were probably in the worst state of repair and they were only demolished this year. The low-rise houses, however, are in keeping with the estate to the north of the line at Longbenton.

Arp

• RMweb Gold

Hi Arp, I've been looking at Google maps and could the photos have been taken from one of the houses on Ridgewood Crescent? just south of the junction. There's a washing line post by the greenhouse in the pics, so could easily be a garden and on the satellite view there is what looks like a fairly recent housing estate on the north side of the railway that could have replaced the high rise.

• Like 1

I'm trying to work out where that photo might have been taken. I know it is captioned as being Gosforth East Jnc, but I live not a mile from there and I am struggling to think where those flats might have been. They are very much in keeping with other flats built in the 1960s by T Dan Smith's mate Mr Coulson at Shieldfield, Elswick, Walker etc but I can't recall seeing any over Longbenton way. Perhaps they have been demolished in the intervening years but the ones at Cruddas Park of that design were probably in the worst state of repair and they were only demolished this year. The low-rise houses, however, are in keeping with the estate to the north of the line at Longbenton.

Arp

I think the caption is about cock on. West Farm Avenue. I think the westerly Block of flats was called Trafalgar Court. It's about were Bevan Drive is now. Amazing were you used to end up after a Friday night at Julies down on the Quayside. Even Julies has closed now.

The view from the thirteenth floor was pretty good. (I can't really remember the floor but it felt like the thirteenth)

The low rise flats on the left are still there, see:

http://fields.eca.ac.uk/gis/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/nc-30.jpg

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2