Farish progress on 2013/2014 models - link to pictures

oreamnos

Agreed, I very much doubt we will see any new electrics, were it anything rather than an 87 or 90 surely an 85 would suit a wider range modellers?

Heck, in electric blue with white roof ends and the twin pantographs even I would be tempted by an early AL5 but look at the giveaway prices of the more "normal" 00 ones at places like Hattons - £78 against list price of £112. Sadly I think this says it all...

Roy

an n gauge 85 is likely to see the light of day over a new 87 or 90.

i firmly believe electric sales (as the 00 class 85 has been brought in here) are always going to be pegged back by dint of there being being only the one really nice up to date model out there. my train of thought errs towards thinking that more 85s would be sold if folk had other electrics in their fleet of comparable detail to warrant a decent electric based scene or layout.

its the perennial argument though,almost becoming an rm web institution and these things often go round in circles.

i wonder then if more new electrics are best catered for in short limited runs or does that have its own negatives too?

i firmly believe electric sales (as the 00 class 85 has been brought in here) are always going to be pegged back by dint of there being being only the one really nice up to date model out there. my train of thought errs towards thinking that more 85s would be sold if folk had other electrics in their fleet of comparable detail to warrant a decent electric based scene or layout.

I am not entirely convinced by this argument. If that were true, would Dapol have brought out their N gauge Hall since the only other GWR locos to run with it were the dated Farish offerings? There is a nice thread here showing how the Farish 90 can be improved on if the problems with the basic model are too annoying.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/74222-farish-class-90-upgrade-with-ph-designs-detail-parts/

I have to say, if there really was a pent-up demand for more electrics, I think that people would buy more of what is available and make the best of it. True there are some people who want a decent range of prototypes to a good standard before they will model a particular era/location but there are others who will make do and get by with what is out there.

I know that NTrains (who recently introduced the kit for the class 313-315 EMUs) are looking at modular kits for the Mk3 EMU family. I think that the plan is a generic 3 or 4-car shell to which are added the appropriate underframe details and front ends. The liveries and windows would be handled with vinyls. Obviously not RTR but I think it is a promising start for those modelling the electric scene. Whilst the main loco classes and coaching stock used on electrified routes since the 80s are available, suburban stock is thin on the ground.

You could always convert a couple of Farish class 150's into a 317 or 321, with 3D printed ends for the latter, however this could become quite expensive and quite a lot of work involved in making the modifications.

Lets hope for a class 85 at least, it would be a good start! And I would buy one even though I model the Cornish scene, the 00 class 85 was a nice model.

Think we may be moving slightly off the thread topic on this one. Maybe we should start an N gauge AC electrics thread here.

• RMweb Gold

I know that NTrains (who recently introduced the kit for the class 313-315 EMUs) are looking at modular kits for the Mk3 EMU family. I think that the plan is a generic 3 or 4-car shell to which are added the appropriate underframe details and front ends. The liveries and windows would be handled with vinyls. Obviously not RTR but I think it is a promising start for those modelling the electric scene. Whilst the main loco classes and coaching stock used on electrified routes since the 80s are available, suburban stock is thin on the ground.

The Class 325 should be out in a couple of months (hopefully in time for TINGS). I'm hoping that the 319 will be almost simultaneous, as there are many common components below platform-level.

The Class 325 should be out in a couple of months (hopefully in time for TINGS). I'm hoping that the 319 will be almost simultaneous, as there are many common components below platform-level.

Oooo a 319 in NSE livery. :locomotive: That makes sense as I bleive the 325s were basically 319s with a networker cab on the front.

Do you know if the print will be for the 319/0/2/4 or 319/1/3? The latter units had an extra moulded skirt below the cab.

• RMweb Gold

You could always convert a couple of Farish class 150's into a 317 or 321, with 3D printed ends for the latter, however this could become quite expensive and quite a lot of work involved in making the modifications.

Think we may be moving slightly off the thread topic on this one. Maybe we should start an N gauge AC electrics thread here.

Agreed we are going OT. 

Ultima models does white metal ends for a 317/1 and 317/2.  The issue is lack of intermediate coaches.

Cheers, Mike

I am not entirely convinced by this argument. If that were true, would Dapol have brought out their N gauge Hall since the only other GWR locos to run with it were the dated Farish offerings? .

yes but thats not looking at it from the customers pov. its a nice concept particularly if you consider that thats one manufacturer looking to improve on a competitors existing model.id like nothing more than to see somebody launch a new electric inspite of older offerings.

are you sure youve understood yourself? lol :)

I think you misunderstood my point. You were saying that sales of the 85 were being held back by the lack of other locos of similar quality to run with it.

I was pointing out that Dapol's new Hall sold well despite the fact that most of the other GWR locos on the market at the time were old Farish-Poole ones.

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of the liveried samples are blatantly photoshopped rather than real (the 4Fs definitely, the LMS Scot definitely and the MNs). But it's good to see some of the toolings are complete and samples have been produced.

Cheers,

Alan

Archived