Warflat Liveries

Peter Bedding

1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

I think what you're looking for is the 'Parrot', soon to be available from Bachmann. This is the WW1 build; the Warflat is the WW2 one.

The Parrot was a WW2 era wagon with a well deck and girder truss sides built for the conveyance of cased aeroplanes. As far as I am aware, the Warflat (and Warwell) are WW2 era wagons. Their WW1 era equivalents were the Rectank and various heavy flat wagons - the GWR modified a group of Macaw B bogie bolsters to 30 and 40 ton flat wagons for the carriage of tanks and other heavy equipment, these being coded by them as Macaws D & E respectively.

Jim

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, jim.snowdon said:

The Parrot was a WW2 era wagon with a well deck and girder truss sides built for the conveyance of cased aeroplanes. As far as I am aware, the Warflat (and Warwell) are WW2 era wagons. Their WW1 era equivalents were the Rectank and various heavy flat wagons - the GWR modified a group of Macaw B bogie bolsters to 30 and 40 ton flat wagons for the carriage of tanks and other heavy equipment, these being coded by them as Macaws D & E respectively.

Jim

That's what I'd always thought, Jim, but then Bachmann announced they were bringing out a WW1-era, tank carrier (complete with sheeted tank) code-named 'Parrot'. It looks very similar to the WW2 Warflat.

Received 'Khaki Drab' Bachmann Warflat today. The correct terminology for the colour is actually 'Olive Drab' (British Olive Drab S.C.C. No.15 was created to match US Olive Drab, so that Lend-Lease vehicles didn't have to be repainted) introduced mid-April 1944. Compared to a swatch of the actual colour, Bachmann have got it absolutely spot on. I note Bachmann are also producing Warflats in Postwar 'WD Bronze Green' (actually deep Bronze Green), for 1955 onwards, so, given that Warflat liveries appear to have adhered to British Army colour schemes, would it be safe to assume that those produced in 1943 would have been painted S.C.C. No. 2 (brown), and those produced pre-1942 in Khaki Green G3?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 19 October 2019 at 18:42, Fat Controller said:

That's what I'd always thought, Jim, but then Bachmann announced they were bringing out a WW1-era, tank carrier (complete with sheeted tank) code-named 'Parrot'. It looks very similar to the WW2 Warflat.

It turns out that an apology is due. I looked in my copy of LNWR Wagons, Volume 2, yesterday and discovered that the design of what we know as the Warflat does indeed go back to the final stages of WW1, going under the code name of Parrot. Clearly the WW2 version, in the shape of the crated aeroplane wagons, was a re-use of the code name, and the one that gets remembered first.

Jim 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 years later...
16 hours ago, markw said:

They had 4 bolsters added and became W160000-254, later many were converted to various coil wagons.

Some were not fitted with bolsters, or coil cradles, but retained a clear floor. These were used to carry ingot moulds from BSC Landore, alongside Flat WLLs, until the early 1980s. Sadly, my note-book of wagon details was lost many years ago.

• Like 1

Found some more Info.

W160000-254  Bogies bolster B

W161000-59     Flat WC

W161500-34     Trestle EH

Looking at photos some wagons are WW1 (Parrot) type upgraded to 50T

• Like 1