Reddish Depot circa 1981 (Image Heavy)

Poggy1165

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks  for  the  memories,  I used to  live in  Levenshulme (about 3 miles away)  as a child  and  we  often  used to cycle  across to Reddish to  do a bit  of  train spotting, and also to  watch  the Midland Pullman arrive  back in the evening  after it's  run up from London.

My wife  lived  approx. 1 mile  from  the  site! She  lived in the  housing  estate visible in one of  the  photos!!

Edited by Stevelewis
  • Like 1

• 8 years later...

I remember those days so well, and yet many of my visits were 45 years ago now. 

Only needing 76011 for the set, I went there one Saturday afternoon just to ask the duty foreman if that particular loco was somewhere on the depot. His reply was "dunno", to which I must have looked suitably crestfallen because he added "but if you want to wander around and see if you can find it, then feel free - just let me know when you leave". 

It wasn't there, but I had a great time just looking for it. 

(I saw 76011 a few days later at Guide Bridge). 

• Like 3

Someone mentioned that after Reddish closed the 506 EMUs were dead hauled to Longsight to have their maintenance done. But as the remains of the Woodhead stub was rewired to 25kV AC roughly 18 months after Reddish was closed, so why didn't BR just keep Reddish open in the short term? Surely it would have been easier to keep some skeleton staff just to maintain the 506s rather than the palaver of dragging them to and from Longsight every night?

• 2 weeks later...

Which begs another thought, that's not so long come to mind; the route was electrified chiefly to make working the freight cheaper (fewer drivers, etc.) and a bit more bearable for the drivers in the tunnels. If the LNER hadn't brought forward the scheme, and BR followed it through, would the rump to Glossop/Hadfield be electrified today, for what is a fairly quiet line?

Philosophical thought; feel free to add yours.

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/07/2021 at 19:44, montyburns56 said:

Someone mentioned that after Reddish closed the 506 EMUs were dead hauled to Longsight to have their maintenance done. But as the remains of the Woodhead stub was rewired to 25kV AC roughly 18 months after Reddish was closed, so why didn't BR just keep Reddish open in the short term? Surely it would have been easier to keep some skeleton staff just to maintain the 506s rather than the palaver of dragging them to and from Longsight every night?

I wondered this at the time. The hassle of taking the 506s to and from Longsight while Reddish was still standing seemed ridiculous to me.  They also had to convert an AC electric to use as a transformer at Longsight to provide 1500v DC for the units... And the Woodhead closure was supposed to be about saving money...

• Like 1