For the use of SWAG modular layout contributors

Stubby47's 2013 Corner Module

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

I've decided to re-use the outdoor garden module from last year as the base for this year's corner module.

Two of the main structures have been started and are well on their way to being completed.

The next major structure, a key-piece and hopefully the signature item, will be started this weekend, unless of course some other major disaster happens at home - last night was the garage personel door wouldn't open...

No, no photos, you've got to come and see it !

• RMweb Gold

yeah, yeah, yeah, at least it didn't cause low-slung locos to ground inside an inaccessble tunnel...

No, this is the 'good' one, the one that almost took the top off your new loco !!

• RMweb Gold

Second structure 90% built, just needs a couple of ladders and then painting.

First structure walls are done, some windows fitted, needs putting together & a roof adding.

Third structure planned, need to ensure dimensions are correct for site on module.

Might have space for a fourth structure, depends on how the base scenics goes...

• RMweb Gold

First structure now built, needs the roof completing and detailing.

Second structure still needs painting.

Third structure complete, fits perfectly, just needs the basic scenery work doing first before final placement.

Fourth structure has been thought about.

Fifth structure decided upon this evening, hope to get this much overlooked building done this week.

One more major item needs adding, then the rest should just be scenery.

If it all goes well, I might be able to build the Second Module as well, as there's about 5 weeks to go.

• RMweb Gold

Fifth structure (a disused signal box) mostly built this lunchtime.

Further info :

Structure 1 - A pair of houses

Structure 2 - A water feature

Structure 3 - A bridge

Structure 4 - A factory

Structure 5 - A disused signal box

• RMweb Gold

Bristol Temple Meads, in a 4ft long module.... that's a big challenge, but not sure it has the necessary water features I want to include.

So, apart from this week's minor catastrophies (SWMBO's car battery needing replacing, No 2 Son spraining his ankle) good progress has been made.

The old corner unit scenics have all been removed and the start of the major groundworks from left to centre have been started.

The all ready built structures have been tested fitted and found to be correct in size & aestheticness.

The one or two other planned structures may be reconsidered, and the outline of another two necessary builds have been researched.

Happy that this year I will be finished well in time ! ( barring, of course, any more friggin' disasters on the domestic front !)

• RMweb Premium

Good well structured thread Stubby. I'll try to get along to see it! When and where?  

We had the plumber in today to fix you know what. Thought you might be interested like.

• RMweb Gold

Sasquatch,

This module, along with several others, will be on display at Staplegrove Hall, near Taunton, on April 29th 2013, as part of the SWAG Members Day, as organised by the good Captain himself.

If you want to make a trip especially to visit you will be made more than welcome and offfered pasties and other such local scrumptious fare.

Stu

P.S. Glad you've got your plumbing sorted ! It seems to be a bit of a common problem at the moment.

• RMweb Premium

Oh no, too soon! We planning to come over this year. I want to visit Dunster (bit late for a field trip but I can't let my only railway chum better me on that score) and SWMBO wants to visit Port Isaac (Doc Martin fan)!

The Rouge Valley Model Railway Group (Southern Oregon) organised a big modular affair with the Bay Area Crowd (SanFransisco). Huge event. Just a shame no one thought to mention whether or not it was DCC or DC!

Shaun

• RMweb Gold

Done quite a bit on the module this weekend. I spent a very enjoyable few hours today adding pieces of paper towel dipped in pva/water to the basic ground framework. As this is a messy process, it was done in my shirtsleves, in the garden!

Yes, it has been a balmy day down in sunny Cornwall.

Part of the groundworks has included provision for an additional structure, which has improved the balance of the left side.

Does any want any photos ?

• RMweb Gold

Done quite a bit on the module this weekend. I spent a very enjoyable few hours today adding pieces of paper towel dipped in pva/water to the basic ground framework. As this is a messy process, it was done in my shirtsleves, in the garden!

Yes, it has been a balmy day down in sunny Cornwall.

Part of the groundworks has included provision for an additional structure, which has improved the balance of the left side.

Does any want any photos ?

You're lucky Stu - after an hour or so in the garden struggling with chicken wire and the front hedge I decided I was sufficiently acclimatised to get going out in 'the room' on the modulification but after 40 minutes of foamboard and Modroc slicing and contour-rearranging I was quite cold enough to retire indoors.  However most of the 'haircut' phase is now done, although one big removal job to do so that Station Cat can get on with her bit of scenic modification work.

• RMweb Gold

Structure 1 - A pair of houses

post-7025-0-01070900-1364663058_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-17259700-1364663072_thumb.jpg

Structure 2 - A water feature

post-7025-0-08113600-1364663114_thumb.jpg

Structure 3 - A bridge

post-7025-0-11461000-1364663044_thumb.jpg

Structure 4 - A factory

Not started yet...

Structure 5 - A disused signal box

post-7025-0-00074900-1364663107_thumb.jpg

And the overall module...

post-7025-0-64670000-1364663081_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-86394100-1364663088_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-07388000-1364663097_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

From the left...

The ballast is still a bit wild, plus I need to paint the track rails as well as the sleepers (this can be done indoors !!). The first coat of ground paint is on, there is a subtle shade difference between the main ground and the embankment for the old line - this will be a footpath, with an old bridge re-furbished to suit. The rock sides to the cutting need to be improved too.

The apparent hole in the ground, to the right of the tunnel mouth, is for a curving retaining wall.

The middle section has the canal in place, this will be empty of water with mud / sludge in the bottom, possibly an old Cortina as well...  To the rears of the track will sit the two cottages, facing onto the canal.

The right side of the module will have a the signal box placed in front of the tracks., the rest of the ground in this area will just be remnants of buildings. Towards the rear will be a low-relief factory, and an over bridge will cover the exit. 

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Stu, some really nice structures there. I like the style of that tank, sturdy and functional and full of character.

Is the signal box based on any particular prototype?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mikkel.

All the items are based on ones found on another, slightly larger, layout, which is based in the Midlands somewhere, so I guess the 'box is typical of that area...

Similarly the tank is a smaller version of a recent 'Damian Hurst' tribute, elsewhere in this parish...

Archived