Bachmann GWR Shunters Truck

gwrrob

They all look good....both the Hornby and Bachmann versions.  How can they be incorporated into an LMS layout ? :no:  Do you think there is any chance of an LMS shunting truck ?

Edited by brian777999

Guest stuartp

There's a photo of an ex-LMS one (or at least, one converted from an ex-LMS wagon) in one of Larkin's books. I'll dig out the details for you tonight Brian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The 41736 example which is shown in the catalogue and is one of my photos I took, is an original built in 1913 to diagram M3 and now owned by the 813 Fund on the Severn Valley Railway. From what it says on the 813 Website, 47136 was originally allocated to Canons Marsh Bristol and was moved from Bristol around 1973 so it is quite certain that it is a shunter truck that was originally allocated to that area.

At the beginning of my trainspotting days perhaps in 1969 I remember a shunter's truck in use at Bristol Temple Meads goods depot. It was still labelled Canons Marsh, even though Cannons Marsh depot had closed in 1965. I should think there's a good chance this is the truck I remember.

• Like 1

At the beginning of my trainspotting days perhaps in 1969 I remember a shunter's truck in use at Bristol Temple Meads goods depot. It was still labelled Canons Marsh, even though Cannons Marsh depot had closed in 1965. I should think there's a good chance this is the truck I remember.

I did ask this question to Paddy Goss, the owner of the 813 Fund a while back and he did confirm for me that 41736 was one of the original Canon's Marsh Shunter trucks. With him saying this, does this mean there was more than one at Canon's Marsh?

Guest stuartp

I'll dig out the details for you tonight Brian.

"Pre-Nationalisation Freight Wagons on British Railways" by David Larkin.

"Birkenhead had shunting runners similar to this one but M164005 is coded 'Upperby Runner'. It has been converted from a normal wagon of unspecified type." Photographed at Carlisle, 1960.

It's a 9' wb wagon on a steel chassis - 1 plank bodywork with fixed ends, independant brakes (i.e. double V-hangers on each side), RCH buffers, axleboxes and W-irons, and spoked wheels. Full length handrails on top of the sides (lower than the GWR ones), full length footboards, no w-iron guards. Livery - 'dark' is as accurate as I can get !

The photo below it is DW110616, photographed at Burry port in 1971, attached to (or at least next to) an 03.

Edited by stuartp
  • Like 1

There are photos of a couple of LMS and Midland Railway shunters 'runners' on page 191 of LMS Wagons by R.J. Essery.

Also three photos of a Midland one in Vol 1 of Essery's Midland Wagons (Plates 27-29, page 34) The author suggests the basis for these was the D305 low goods wagon, which ought to make for a reasonably easy conversion from the Slaters plastic kit...

It's basically the 3-plank wagon without the dropsides, and the addition of:

• a  toolbox in the middle, 
  • handrails along the sides- 3 levels, at about 1-plank, 3-plank and around 5/6-plank height with a gap midway along the wagon side for access, and the top rail continuing across the end, supported at the corners from the original 3-plank wagon ends,
  • a curved handrail rising out of the top of the toolbox, (imagine a capital D laid on it's back) with an additional vertical support in the middle
  • full-length stepboards, 
  • an additional step below the gap in the side handrails 
Edited by Invicta
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

According to Hattons these will be with us in July/August which is good when they were only announced last month.I think Hornby might miss the boat here.

http://www.ehattons.com/60993/Bachmann_Branchline_38_676_GWR_Shunters_Truck_GWR_Grey_Newton_Abbott_/StockDetail.aspx

Dec/Jan according to the Bachmann 00 product page as of June 13.

Hornby has a shot at being first yet. It will be interesting to watch what happens.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

Having seen the engineering shots in April I thought they [Bachmann] were close to release.

Presumably they have to pass the "livery sample" gate and then get a production slot. The Earls are already at that point and have been pushed back to year end as well.

I did ask this question to Paddy Goss, the owner of the 813 Fund a while back and he did confirm for me that 41736 was one of the original Canon's Marsh Shunter trucks. With him saying this, does this mean there was more than one at Canon's Marsh?

Some Bristol allocated shunters trucks.

Dia - Number - Allox

M3 - 41736 - Bristol Canons Marsh - 1944

M4 - 41762 - Bristol West Depot - 1944

M2 - 41765 - Bristol East Depot (Relief) -1944

M1 - 41862 - Bristol Canons Marsh - 1944

M1 - 41863 - Bristol East Depot - 1944

M1 - 41867 - Bristol East Depot - 1944

M1 - 41868 - Bristol East Depot - 1944

M4 - 94953 - Bristol West Depot - 1944

M4 - 94973 - Bristol - 1944

M3 - 94983 - Bristol

Brian R

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Painted examples of the GWR 'Canons Marsh, Bristol' and GWR 'Newton Abbot' have now been released. the GWR 'Old Oak Common', BR Black 'Loco Dept.' and BR Black 'Margam Jn' Weathered are also available to be viewed in the products section of the Bachmann website. Certainly look very promising. Going to be interesting comparing them to the Hornby release.

38-675.jpg

38-675 in GWR Grey livery 'Canons Marsh, Bristol'

38-676.jpg

38-676 in GWR Grey livery 'Newton Abbot'

Garethp8873.

Edited by Garethp8873
  • Like 3

Goodness, that must be quite a job threading all those handrails through their supports. I doubt that it is done by a machine.  Imagine doing that all day !

Were the running boards left as unpainted timber ? Why would they do that when the rest of the truck was the usual dark gey ?

Edited by brian777999

Goodness, that must be quite a job threading all those handrails through their supports. I doubt that it is done by a machine.  Imagine doing that all day !

Were the running boards left as unpainted timber ? Why would they do that when the rest of the truck was the usual dark gey ?

I should imagine the paint on the running boards would have been worn off pretty quickly with the shunters hopping on and off in the their hob-nail boots. The ones on brake vans didn't seem to have much paint on them, either, as I recall- a very quick look at Paul Bartlett's site confirms my recollections.

• Like 1

Well they have seemingly got the BR versions into black so that's a good thing but I notice the 'Margam Junc. one is lettered  'M&E' whereas I would have thought (albeit without any sort of checking) that it should be 'OD'?

Mike,

You mentioned the BR Shunters Truck being black.

Back in the fifties I remember seeing one in the sidings at Railway St Cardiff from time to time and a remember it as a flat brown colour.

I thought this was my memory playing up until recently when I came across a DVD with a shunters truck at I think Pontypool Road and low and behold there was that dirty brown colour again!

Would these be badly faded and dirty trucks or were some painted a brown colour please?

Many thanks,

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Having seen the Hornby offering I think I will hang on for one of these with the Newton Abbot markings to replace a battered Cambrian kit currently being dragged around by a Pannier tank engine on my layout.

Hornby rather than Bachmann Bob? - Or as well as?

Took me by surprise when I saw one in Paignton Model Shop this evening. If he had been open I would have bought a couple. Nice to see a quality wagon from Hornby.

Mike Wiltshire

Glad you like the Hornby one, Mike, but ........haven't you posted this in a Bachmann thread? Some folk might get confused!!

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

You mentioned the BR Shunters Truck being black.

Back in the fifties I remember seeing one in the sidings at Railway St Cardiff from time to time and a remember it as a flat brown colour.

I thought this was my memory playing up until recently when I came across a DVD with a shunters truck at I think Pontypool Road and low and behold there was that dirty brown colour again!

Would these be badly faded and dirty trucks or were some painted a brown colour please?

Many thanks,

Dave

I can't ever recall seeing one in a brown colour Dave but it's not impossible.  However my initial inclination is 'dirt' - they certainly never seemed to see any cleaning from what I can recall and the black 'faded' for want of a better expression.  Have you a link to the DVd by any chance?

I can't ever recall seeing one in a brown colour Dave but it's not impossible.  However my initial inclination is 'dirt' - they certainly never seemed to see any cleaning from what I can recall and the black 'faded' for want of a better expression.  Have you a link to the DVd by any chance?

Mike,

I've lent the DVD to a friend - will get it back and let you have the info.

Regards,

Dave