Bachmann GWR Shunters Truck

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Why limited stocks? You would have thought there would be loads produced after such a long wait!

There are at least a dozen Newton Abbot ones on ebay as I speak.It makes a change for other retailers to get them before the Liverpool emporium.

Why limited stocks? You would have thought there would be loads produced after such a long wait!

A long wait??

Hoom ba-room hrum now, don't be so hasty my lad. (And no, no ents in the Hobbit movie, happily so because there was an awful lot of other stuff, but I digress.)

It's only been nine months since Bachmann Branch-Line announced their GWR shunter which, as I recall, is also the gestational period for H. Sapiens, and for model railways these days it's really cranking the handle and well within the 18 months or so that Bachmann suggests, so I'll not only give them a pass but a tick in the 'nice' column if the shunters appear before St. Nick does.

• Like 2

I got a Bachmann 'Old Oak Common' version today. Seller said they arrived with him on Thursday. Very nice it is too, and it seems it's better assembled than the Hornby one (mine has poorly-assembled/glued handrails, so they are bowed - easily corrected though). The Hornby one does seem a little weightier than the Bachmann (I haven't actually weighed then yet). There also a bag of small parts included; lamps, vacuum pipes etc,  but no indication as to where they fit exactly. I'll have to check out the photos......

Edited by Coppercap

• RMweb Gold

The Newton Abbot one appeared today at this address, it was worth the wait, as above post a nice little bag of bits to stick on it including two shunters poles. :sungum:

Mine is on it's way to Santa as I speak.Look out over Christmas on my layout thread for it. ;) It looks very nice.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

BR loco dept version arrived today less than 48 hours after it was ordered in spite of 'standard' mail.  Nice little model. First class service from Invicta, have never used them before but certainly will again.  :)

• RMweb Gold

Wow! Picked up my GWR 'Newton About' one from my local model shope in Rushden today.

Great work by Bachmann.  A lovely model.

As others have said it does feel a bit light but there's room in between the sole bars to add additional weight.

I've already changed the wheels over to some Gibson ones improving the appearance as well.

The little pack of 'Goodies'  (Not TBT et al!) is a nice touch! ;)

Cheers,

Mark

There you go Robin-The TVP is still alive! :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There you go Robin-The TVP is still alive! :D

I thought you'd gone all HOe on us.Anyway you show me yours and I'll show you mine. :D

Incidently,I started this thread on the 16th March and we have them in our hands nine months on which is superb considering the production problems of the far east etc.

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I thought you'd gone all HOe on us.Anyway you show me yours and I'll show you mine. :D

Incidently,I started this thread on the 16th March and we have them in our hands nine months on which is superb considering the production problems of the far east etc.

But at the time it was announced EPs were already made so development started some time before the announcement.  Mind but you are absolutely right about us actually having them in our hands (not quite in my case, but ready to collect) in present Chinese production (or not) circumstances.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Steady on there young Robin! :D

I thought yours was being wrapped up for opening on Christmas Day when shunting on Brent can commence with the appropriate wagon!

Mine may get some paintwork and weathering effects soon. Watch this space.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I know that as a blue diesel modeller my options for one of these interesting little vehicles are very limited, but I hope that a run down one abandoned and forgotten at the end of a siding might not be pushing reality too far (at least not when my pre-TOPS locos are running).

However, I am curious what the 'Loco Dept.' one would have been used for. If it was allocated to a large MPD to assist in shunting the loco coal wagons, wouldn't have carried the name of the shed? Or if it was for use at A Shop, wouldn't it have carried 'Swindon Works'? Or is it simply a 'spare' which would roam nomadically covering trucks away for overhaul, or assisting when extra capacity was needed?

Just has a look at one in Peter's Spares. Very nice but no advantage over the Hornby ones I have already purchased so no sale. My old Wills one is getting a bit tired and I may replace that one with a Bachmann at some point. Apart from that it comes over as a pointless duplication of a wagon that most modellers will only need one of.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

Just picked up mine (BR livery, Loco Dept) from the shop.

I waited for the Bachmann model as they are generally more committed to the wagon sector than Hornby and I was more confident of what they would deliver.

Excellent model, and once I get some Gibson wheels under it and change the couplings, it'll look even better.

It look like the two screws underneath will release the toolbox making relettering easy and offering space for a little extra weight.

John 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi John,

I've had mine apart and yes indeed those two screws do hold the tool box down.

Inside there are two very small weights which come out easily.  

Removal of the NEM coupling mounts is also easily done by removing the tension locks and unscrewing the mounts.  

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444

I have just picked up my shunters trucks and they do look very nice.

Out of interest, should the loco department one say "LOCO DEPI."?  Note the department is abbrieviated with an "I" rather than a "T".

• RMweb Gold

Out of interest, should the loco department one say "LOCO DEPI."?  Note the department is abbrieviated with an "I" rather than a "T".

??? - the standard abbreviation for 'department' is 'dept' (certainly on the GWR/WR if nowhere else) and has been for many a long year to my knowledge.  Where do you get 'depl' from as a matter of interest? 

• RMweb Gold

Just has a look at one in Peter's Spares. Very nice but no advantage over the Hornby ones I have already purchased so no sale. My old Wills one is getting a bit tired and I may replace that one with a Bachmann at some point. Apart from that it comes over as a pointless duplication of a wagon that most modellers will only need one of.

Mike Wiltshire

At least the Bachmann BR version has the slight advantage of starting off in the right colour ;)

Get you magnifying glass out - it's a capital T underlined! :blind:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've already changed the wheels over to some Gibson ones improving the appearance as well.

Excellent model, and once I get some Gibson wheels under it and change the couplings, it'll look even better.

IMHO As the wheels are more or less invisible behind the foot guards, I will not need to change them!

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have just compared my two shunter's trucks, one each from Hornby (40148 sic) and Bachmann (94979).

Here is my personal review:

Both are IMHO a good try with little to choose detail wise.

As mentioned Bachmann supply some detailing parts, Hornby do not.

The erroneous brake handle on the Hornby one can easily be moved to the off position, although not as high as the Bachmann one due to a shorter offset.

Incidentally on both models they are separately applied.

Both have removable toolboxes and coupling mountings (screws on underside of chassis)

The toolbox on the Hornby version is not as tall as the Bachmann.

The Toolbox moulding on the Bachmann one is slightly finer, detail wise (with lamp irons), as are the running boards.

(The foot boards are slightly heavier looking on the Hornby model)

Both have reasonable looking shiny wheels, although as in my previous post, little of them is visible, so I personally would not bother changing them, just a little blackening will do.

The lower handrails, on my Hornby one, have a slight curve to them

The Hornby has lamp irons on the chassis ends, the Bachmann does not.

The Bachmann weighs, on my scales, 16gms, the Hornby one 28gms.

The Bachmann one has the number on the ends as well as the sides.

Overall IMHO little to choose, either would look fine behind the shunting loco on a layout.

Keith

• Like 3