Bachmann GWR Shunters Truck

gwrrob

Interestingly, none of those were the picture I remember seeing! Perhaps survivors were more long lived than we thought?

Well the photo at the very bottom shows a Shunter truck attached to a Class 08 in 1985!! Just a shame we don't know the number... :(

• 6 months later...

I recently purchased the Bachmann Shunters Truck lettered for Margam Junc. However my layout is based on the Wellington (Shropshire)  area and the recent purchase of a nice photo of the shunters truck allocated to Wellington set me of on how to rename. I made a request to John Isherwood of Cambridge Custom Transfers and he has now done a sheet for all the trucks as best we know.

Attached is my partially completed rename and re number which still needs finishing. 

post-20690-0-22064400-1430490806_thumb.jpg

My question is that the truck I have a photo for has different brake gear with a long brake lever similar to an ordinary wagon. When were they rebuilt?

I have the series of articles in Great Wester Journal by John Lewis (issues 19, 21, 24, 26, 29) but I must admit I am a little confused. I model in the BR period circa 1960-1967 and the articles tend to cover the GWR period. I have I missed something?

David

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Do they still use shunter's trucks or something similar ?

First of all you have to find a shunter!

OK, so that was a flippant first response, now putting my serious head on, I haven't seen anything like a shunters truck / match wagon / brake van in use with a small shunter for years now, the last place that I used to see an 08 + brake van was sitting in the middle road at Bristol Temple Meads.

Cheers, Mike C

First of all you have to find a shunter!

OK, so that was a flippant first response, now putting my serious head on, I haven't seen anything like a shunters truck / match wagon / brake van in use with a small shunter for years now, the last place that I used to see an 08 + brake van was sitting in the middle road at Bristol Temple Meads.

Cheers, Mike C

That was one of the last such duties, I believe; both loco and van carried Parcels Sector livery. I think their demise coincided with the end of TPO workings at Bristol.

• 3 weeks later...

Last time I passed Willesden engine shed there was an 08 with a converted container wagon used as a runner. But it was about five years ago.

Regards

I think that old Conflat is used to translate the couplings so the 08 can couple to EMU's.

• 11 months later...

Hi All. A very fine looking model indeed, as usual with Bachmann . But I expected it to be heavier, as it seems a tool for derailments at the moment. I have been trying to figure out how I can add weight without messing about with it? Maybe I should have purchased a Hornby version?? They might be “ Clunkier and heavier?” without the bother of adding weight? Best wishes. Kevin

• RMweb Gold

Hi All. A very fine looking model indeed, as usual with Bachmann . But I expected it to be heavier, as it seems a tool for derailments at the moment. I have been trying to figure out how I can add weight without messing about with it? Maybe I should have purchased a Hornby version?? They might be “ Clunkier and heavier?” without the bother of adding weight? Best wishes. Kevin

Check the back to backs on your wheel sets to make sure they are correct this could cause derailment if they are wrong, if you want to add extra weight undo the 2 screws on the underside

the tool box will come off you can pack it out with lead(roofing lead from a builders merchant) which is a lot better than the tiny bits of metal Bachmann have put in them and if you use it for

shunting put a white cast shunters figure(Dart Castings) on the foot board for extra weight and general junk like a rerailing plate it all helps.

Edit weight increased from 15 grams to 25 grams 

Edited by 81C
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Just done a rough count up (don't ask, its been long day!!!) of the number of separate parts in the Bachmann Shunters Truck (M3 version) and counted 53 including screws and couplings (47 if tension locks and NEM pockets discounted). If there is anything inside the tool box (weight) this number will obviously be higher. Not included in the counting the bag of extra detail.

Quite incredible for such a small model.

Buffers                             4
Coupling hook                 2
Wheels                            4
Axles                               2
Wheel Insulating Bushes 4
Handrails                         4
Handrail supports            8
Tension lock loop             2
Tension lock hook            2
NEM pocket                     2
NEM socket                     2
NEM socket screws         2
Toolbox                            1
Lamp Irons on toolbox     4
Toolbox screws                2
Brake levers                    2
Brake shoe assembly      2
Brake shoe cross shaft    1
Main body moulding        1
Step Boards                    2

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 1

Just done a rough count up (don't ask, its been long day!!!) of the number of separate parts in the Bachmann Shunters Truck (M3 version) and counted 53 including screws and couplings (47 if tension locks and NEM pockets discounted). If there is anything inside the tool box (weight) this number will obviously be higher. Not included in the counting the bag of extra detail.

Quite incredible for such a small model.

Buffers                             4

Coupling hook                 2

Wheels                            4

Axles                               2

Wheel Insulating Bushes 4

Handrails                         4

Handrail supports            8

Tension lock loop             2

Tension lock hook            2

NEM pocket                     2

NEM socket                     2

NEM socket screws         2

Toolbox                            1

Lamp Irons on toolbox     4

Toolbox screws                2

Brake levers                    2

Brake shoe assembly      2

Brake shoe cross shaft    1

Main body moulding        1

Step Boards                    2

And at £5 a throw from Kernow, it would be a crime not to snap one up - you can't buy the Cambrian kit for that. 

My maths using your number of parts above? £0.09 a part!

CoY

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

I know I'm resurrecting a long dormant thread but does anyone know where I can get transfers to reallocate a shunters truck?

I see Cambridge Custom Transfers mentioned up thread but all I can see on the website is the sheet for the GWR Cambrian kits? Google brings up no other results though in sure someone must do them

Thanks everyone 

18 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Railtec Models do bespoke names for toads so might be able to do shunters trucks too.

Indeed. This link here should help:

https://www.railtec-models.com/catalog.php?search_str=allocation+name

If the allocation name needs to be slightly smaller to fit on the shunter's truck then that's no issue (though I'd need you to let me know).

• Like 1

21 hours ago, WD0-6-0 said:

I know I'm resurrecting a long dormant thread but does anyone know where I can get transfers to reallocate a shunters truck?

I see Cambridge Custom Transfers mentioned up thread but all I can see on the website is the sheet for the GWR Cambrian kits? Google brings up no other results though in sure someone must do them

Thanks everyone 

The Cambrian kit is of the same prototype, as is the Hornby version. Both M4 and M5.

One to be careful of is that some had the vertical handrails such as this one which was the earlier diagram M3. Bachmann also made one of these.

38-675_1529954_Qty1_1.jpg

Photo Hattons.

Also see here for details including known allocations.

http://www.gwr.org.uk/noshunters.html

Jason

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, railtec-models said:

Indeed. This link here should help:

https://www.railtec-models.com/catalog.php?search_str=allocation+name

If the allocation name needs to be slightly smaller to fit on the shunter's truck then that's no issue (though I'd need you to let me know).

Thanks Steve, I'll have a look at that and see what will fit.

6 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

The Cambrian kit is of the same prototype, as is the Hornby version. Both M4 and M5.

Also see here for details including known allocations.

http://www.gwr.org.uk/noshunters.html

Jason

Thanks Jason, the CCT set will be correct but it includes the transfers for the other wagons too which I don't need. 

Thanks for the allocation link though, that'll be perfect for nailing down the details of the one I'm looking at!

Thanks everyone for your help, I've got a few things to look at now!

Thanks

Rhys

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 29/08/2023 at 15:07, Rugd1022 said:

does anyone do the shunter's truck in 7mm...?

Scorpio do an etched one for about half the price of the WEP.

The old ABS ones turn up on eBay periodically as well - MMP were selling the last of the stock off for peanuts not that long ago.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1