Blackwell Lane TMD

jmarsh1976

• 6 years later...

So after a house move, growing family a d general life, I’ve started to get back into my small layout. First off is a fuel storage. 

It’s a bit close to the main shed which is not ideal and makes the roller shutter look odd. I’ll have a think about that, space is tight. 

Good to get the modelling bug back though! 

1D973230-AD67-428F-82F0-769E36F870C6.jpeg

4D11FDDA-EC83-4305-A114-28B3BC3374D7.jpeg

09C16C89-5AEE-43B1-AA11-D8FE2BCC55A7.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2013 Photobucket...!

A good subject.

Thought this was a while back to say the least - after all this time I wonder how it's all not been reduced to shrapnel.

Excellent work and detail on the shed fuelling berm and pump house - really good work that has stood the last 7 years in an age when things were simple - if only we knew.

Pump and tanks look fine in proximity to the shed - what do you have in mind for a fuelling point?

Ian

Edited by Crisis Rail

On 31/03/2013 at 11:30, jmarsh1976 said:

BIt more progress on the mimic panel, should be done soon!

1_zps56565530.jpg

photo_zpsab7c2664.jpg

using 3.5,, jack sockets for point motors/isolated sections of track.

xlr connections to track and programme track.

track laying/wiring is next, originally planning to use peco oo code 75 track. Based on the layout below

.trak4_zpsec7a842e.png

this is where i'm having abit of a wobble with what direction to take.

I am toying with the idea of going down the em/oo finescale scale route, however this is my first model railway and whilst am competent at most things involved, soldering etc.  and have most of the required tools I am wondering if I would be taking on too much to go down this route. However the last thing I want to do is build it in peco and forever wish I had used hand built track.  Another option mi am also thinking about is c + l flexitrack with peco points to save on cost but may be better just adjusting the sleeper spacings on the peco track as im not sure how the difference in sleeper width will look. I am doing a tmd however so most of the sleepers will be hidden in general muck.

So i would like to know whether it is possible to use oo or em handbuilt track with my current track plan? i understand that the tolerances/radii are less forgiving.

from research it seems my modern image locos will be fairly straight forward to swap to em.

there is also the cost factor. the peco route is much cheaper.

decisions decisions....

PECO have the excellent Bullhead trackwork out now that it is 2020....!

Ian

23 minutes ago, Crisis Rail said:

2013 Photobucket...!

A good subject.

Thought this was a while back to say the least - after all this time I wonder how it's all not been reduced to shrapnel.

Excellent work and detail on the shed fuelling berm and pump house - really good work that has stood the last 7 years in an age when things sere simple - if only we knew.

Pump and tanks look fine in proximity to the shed - what do you have in mind for a fuelling point?

Ian

thanks! It has survived well! Was shocked that when I cleaned the track and powered it up, it worked pretty much ok! 

I have a knightwing fuel point kit so will run the fuel pipes along the ground and then over a small pipe bridge. Give me something else to build at least! Location will be as below. Will build the base out of styrene.

D3BA91D8-587A-4639-9657-A187341EDADD.jpeg

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, jmarsh1976 said:

thanks! It has survived well! Was shocked that when I cleaned the track and powered it up, it worked pretty much ok! 

I have a knightwing fuel point kit so will run the fuel pipes along the ground and then over a small pipe bridge. Give me something else to build at least! Location will be as below. Will build the base out of styrene.

D3BA91D8-587A-4639-9657-A187341EDADD.jpeg

Looks well researched - all the right bits where they should be.

Following  - just up my street.

I've done half a dozen Knightwing FP - still good and relevant with a bit of bespoke mods.

Skytrex Models have a similar basic version I have done on Caerbannog.

Reminds me  - must get round to finishing it.

Ian

4 minutes ago, Crisis Rail said:

Looks well researched - all the right bits where they should be.

Following  - just up my street.

I've done half a dozen Knightwing FP - still good and relevant with a bit of bespoke mods.

Skytrex Models have a similar basic version I have done on Caerbannog.

Reminds me  - must get round to finishing it.

Ian

now that is a good thread that I can follow for ideas. 

been using google images for ideas mainly, been really useful for someone who know very little about railways! Still, I’m getting there and fills the evenings in nicely!  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jmarsh1976 said:

now that is a good thread that I can follow for ideas. 

been using google images for ideas mainly, been really useful for someone who know very little about railways! Still, I’m getting there and fills the evenings in nicely!  

Mentioned on the forum.

Kelsey On Shed series are excellent - I have a few of these especially all things Scottish and Millerhill(ish)

Goes well as memories of  all the 70's Shed bunking is fading as the years pass.

Yes - fills in the winter evenings perfectly :D

https://shop.kelsey.co.uk/product/BOOKSHED6/On Shed #6 Western Region - South Wales & Bristol

Ian

Edited by Crisis Rail

54 minutes ago, Crisis Rail said:

Mentioned on the forum.

Kelsey On Shed series are excellent - I have a few of these especially all things Scottish and Millerhill(ish)

Goes well as memories of  all the 70's Shed bunking is fading as the years pass.

Yes - fills in the winter evenings perfectly :D

https://shop.kelsey.co.uk/product/BOOKSHED6/On Shed #6 Western Region - South Wales & Bristol

Ian

thanks great!

really appreciate the help thanks 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Bit of progress on the office. It’s a bit haphazard but I’ve encountered plenty of industrial buildings that have been been designed or at least ended up looking a bit odd. 

Not sure whether to fix a pavement or hard standing around the perimeter of the building so that once painted it’s easier to blend into the surrounding scenery. I think it might be better to do that as I’ll paint the building on the bench        and paint the surrounding scenery later. 

Anyway I think I just need to have a break from styrene, plastic weld, and a craft knife, so a bit of painting will be welcome. 

1D7DC675-3FDE-48FB-A256-509282A53382.jpeg

D8037EFC-47D2-4B88-B537-1B9723565CEF.jpeg

• Like 2

Added some lights, really pleased with the strip light above the door. The glazing is dusty as it’s a low relief building so depth is an issue.

Think  It’s done for now, I’ll add more detail later when into in-situ. Next task will be building the fueling point which I’ve changed about 3 times so far. 

3734F6A3-E1EF-442E-A649-AA4AA913775E.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1