WIGAN EXHIBITION June 15th & 16th 2013

Eaton

post-1648-0-29912000-1363380258_thumb.jpg

2013 LAYOUT LIST

1   ALLENDENAC Richard Chown, Linthithgoe, Scotland, S7 52’ x 9’ Company du Paris de Orleans, 1880
2   BACUP ENGINE SHED Charles Stevens, Warwick, O, 18’ x 2’ L&Y 1910
3   BRAFFERTON  Tony Simms, Catterick garrison, North Yorks. 2FS 6, x 6’ BR 1950s/60s
4   CAEREINION ROAD Geoff Lord, Bury, O-16.5
5   CLIFFHANGER Jehan de Frayssinet Romondanovsky-Lodyhensky & Kevin Mason OO9 16' x 5' high North Devon Cliffs 1935 
6   CLUTTON  Tim Venton, Bristol, P4 24’ x 7’ BR (WR) 1952
7   DIENW Warrington M.R.C. 009 12’x2’ 1940’s WW2 North Wales
8   DOREHILL ST. STEVENS  Soar Valley M.R.C., Shepshed, Leics, OO 41’9” x 14’6” BR 1957/62
9   ESKMUIR  Tony Bucknell, Littleborough, OO 26’ x 3’ Ex C.R. BR (Sc) 1960
10 FARINGDON  Rex Davidson, Newport, Salop. P4 20’x3’ ExGWR/BR 1950’s
11 FELTON LANE (Goods)  Paul Gallon, Whitby,OO 13’ x 2’ LNER 1947
12 FURKA OBERALP  Furness Model Railway Club HOm 6’ x 7’ x 8’ high, Swiss Modern Image
13 GHYLLDALE  John Varley, Leeds, OO9 10’ x 3’ North Yorks Coast
14 GOLDMIRE QUARRY Maurice Bramley, Barrow in Furness, G 24’ x 10’ 1980/1990
15 HOLCOMBE BROOK & TOTTINGTON Peter Crighton, Holcombe Brook Branch 1960’s.
16 LAW JUNCTION  East Neuk Model Railway Club, Fife, Scotland, N 26’ x 5’ WCML Scotland 2000/2012
17 LITTLE ARROW Ray Clarke, Leigh, OO 15’8”x3’ B.R. 1960’s Cumbria.
18 MELTON MOWBRAY (North)  John Spence, Melton Mowbray, N 22’ 3’3” GWR/LNWR 1948/53
19 NEW MERE  Chris Longley, Freshwater, Isle of Wight, P4 14’ x 2’
20 OAKWOOD FURNACES  Richard Chown, Linlithgoe, Scotland, S4 6’6”x 1’8” Industrial South Wales 1900
21 OVERLORD II Charles Stevens, Warwick, 39’x3’ South Coast 5th June 1944 D Day +1
22 PHARCAMBE HALL Roger Epps, Leeds, 15’ x 2’ OO BR 1990
23 PORTCHULLIN  Mark Tatlow, Limpsfield, Surrey, P4 15’ x 15’ Dingle & Skye Railway 1974
24 PROJECT IRAQ 2003 Tony & Kate Bennett, Stafford, Ng 10’ x 3’
25 RHYDWYN FAWR  Ian Blackburn, Holyhead, Anglesey, O 13’9” x 2’8” British Steel.
26 ROTHAMPTON Stan Williams, St. Helens, 009 10' x 2' pre 1947 Yorkshire Dales,
27 ROWINGTON for SHREWLEY  Richard Hewins, Henley in Arden, Warwickshire, OO 12’ x 12’ GWR 1922
28 SHALLOWFORD PARK Walter Pullman, Eccleston, Chorley, OO 18’ x 2’ SR 1930’s
29 STAINSBY David Scott, Stockton on Tees, EM 26’x2’, LNER 1936
30 STAMFORD EAST Trevor Webster, Nottingham, N 10’ x 3’ LNER/LMS 1950’s/60’s
31 ST. GEORGE’S QUAY  Alan Gray, Gateshead, O 14’6” x 3’6” LNER 1930’s
32 THE RUXLEY BRANCH  Keith Higgins Ashtead, Surrey, OO 46’ x 2’ GWR Devon 1930
33 TROUTBECK BRIDGE (LMR)  Andrew Butler, Cockermouth, Cumbria, OO 19’ x 8’ LMR 1958/66
34 TUMMEL V111  Allan Parker, Rainworth, Notts, O 27’ x 2’3” BR (Sc) 1959/60
35 WOODFIELD ROAD  David Woodward, Wakefield EM 16’ x 2’6” East Midlands 2005

I really missed the Wigan show last Christmas.

Layout list looks interesting, many layouts I've never heard of so looking forward to seeing them, I only have to travel 2 miles !!

Better start saving for the "bits n bobs".

Brit15

Eaton, just a quick observation, I took the lad to his Karate class at Robin Park this morning - no notices / posters etc about the exhibition were evident. In previous years there used to be posters / flyers / card bookmarks and a nice display cabinet in the entrance hall. Nowt today !. Locals therfore don't know about it.

Brit15

Eaton, just a quick observation, I took the lad to his Karate class at Robin Park this morning - no notices / posters etc about the exhibition were evident. In previous years there used to be posters / flyers / card bookmarks and a nice display cabinet in the entrance hall. Nowt today !. Locals therfore don't know about it.

Brit15

Posters printed yesterday, display box and flyers due to be at the centre in next couple of days.

Really looking forward to going to Wigan with Stainsby - is it still Saturday for you Tom? Have posted an update about the layout on the Stainsby thread, today. I saw Jonathan at the Nottingham Show, yesterday, and he is looking forward to shunting the goods yard both days! I built some more stock and a J77 to keep him quiet!!

Speaking of North East, I shall be there with Stainsby. :)

Guest Tom F

Really looking forward to going to Wigan with Stainsby - is it still Saturday for you Tom? Have posted an update about the layout on the Stainsby thread, today. I saw Jonathan at the Nottingham Show, yesterday, and he is looking forward to shunting the goods yard both days! I built some more stock and a J77 to keep him quiet!!

Saturday David. :yes:

I'm looking forward to it.

TRADE SUPPORT AT THE 2013 EXHIBITION

A1 MODELS

BILL HUDSON BOOKS

BOOKLAW PUBLICATIONS WITH PETE WATERMAN

BUFFERBEAM LTD

CEYNIX TREES

CD3D LTD

CHELTENHAM MODEL CENTRE

COMET MODELS

CONTIKITS

COUNTY ROLLING STOCK

COOPERCRAFT

DAVE'S RAILWAY FILMS

D & E VIDEOS

DEAN SIDINGS

DIGITRAINS

DIRECT TRAIN SPARES OF BURNLEY

DON BISHOP

DURHAM TRAINS OF STANLEY

EILEEN'S EMPORIUM

FOOTPLATE MODELS

GOING LOCO

GREEN SCENE

GRIMY TIMES

HOBBY HOLIDAYS

INTERNATIONAL RAILWAY INDEX

INVERTRAINS MODEL RAILWAYS

JUDITH EDGE KITS

LAYOUTS 4U

M & B MODELS

MODELEX

MODEL ROAD AND TRAMWAYS

N BRASS LOCOS

OSH BOOKS

PARKSIDE DUNDAS

PENKETH MODEL CENTRE

PETER METCALF MODEL RAILWAYS (ACE TRAINS)

PICTURE PRIDE DISPLAYS

PLUS DAUGHTERS

REALTRACK MODELS

REPLICA RAILWAYS

ROGER CARPENTER PHOTOGRAPHS

SHAWPLAN MODEL PRODUCTS

STEPHENSON CARRIAGES

TEN COMMANDMENTS

T GAUGE.com

TODMORDEN MODEL SUPPLIES

TRACKSIDE SIGNS

VINTAGE PRINTS

Regular updates can be found on our website at www.wiganfrm.org.uk  Details for ADVANCE TICKET ordering can also be found there. Tickets are at last years prices and the 4 for 3 ticket is still being offered at £30. Also remember that the Guidebook is included in the price and that accompanied children up to 16 years of age are admitted free.

In the April issue of the BRM can be found a feature on 'Highbury Colliery' one of the layouts that will be with us in June. 

What happened to Bradfield Gloucester Square. Are Tring and District MRC not now honouring the layouts exhibition commitments as they agreed when purchasing.?

I was looking forward to seeing this layout.

Won't stop me going though.

Bradfield Gloucester Square was indeed provisionally booked for this year when the layout resided up north, but since it has moved down south we have had to delay its appearance until next year. It was certainly not a question of Tring MRC not honouring exhibition commitments but more down to our exhibition budget.  

• 2 weeks later...

Two new traders are joining us this year, 'Model Roads and Tramways' and 'Replica Railways'. This brings the total trade support to 48 so there should be plenty of opportunity for visitors to pick up the bits and pieces they need to complete that modelling project that has been sitting on the workbench.

post-1648-0-90956900-1365964069_thumb.jpg

Another photograph of a featured layout at Wigan, this time with a maritime theme. 'Overlord II' is a layout set on the 5th June 1944, the day after D Day, which shows the prepations needed by rail and sea to support the Normandy landings.

It is also a superb example of railway, military and nautical modelling and marvellously captured in one of Chris Nevard's atmospheric photographs.

There will be photographs of more layouts to follow.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a very good feature article in the current Railway Modeller on David Woodward's 'Woodfield Road' which will be at the Wigan Exhibition in June, well worth a read.

There is still time to visit our website at www.wiganfrm.org.uk to purchase Advance Tickets. Not only are they at a reduced admission price and you can gain early entry, but most importantly you can dodge the queue at the cash desk. We are still offering the 4 for 3 ticket which gains 4 visitors entry for £30 ( £7.50 each). Also remember that the guidebook is included in the price and accompanied children up to 16 years of age are free.

• 2 weeks later...

post-1648-0-16066400-1368116810_thumb.jpg

With only a little over a month to go before the doors open here are some more featured layouts starting with 'Allendenac' based upon the Company du Paris de Orleans in the 1880's. The viaduct is some structure being 4ft. 10ins. above river level. The layout was built by Richard Chown and the photograph taken by Gerard Tombroek.

post-1648-0-96140600-1368117176_thumb.jpg

This is 'Melton Mowbray' John Spence and Steve Weston's N Gauge masterpiece that really exploits the scale to show heavy traffic moving through the countryside. At 26ft by 8ft in N gauge you get a lot of railway. The photograph is by Trevor Jones.

post-1648-0-17045100-1368118415_thumb.jpg

'Portcullin' in P4 is set in the Highlands in 1974 and is brought to Wigan by Mark Tatlow and was built in response to a Scalefour Challenge. The photograph is by Andy York.

'Woodfield Road' was the featured layout in the May issue of the Railway Modeller, but in the June issue we have gone one better and two of the layouts due to appear at Wigan are featured. Roger Epps's 'Pharcambe Hall' is part of his Cumbrian Fells article on page 450 whilst 'Rhydwyn Fawar' is Ian Blackburn's model of 'a brutal and dangerous' steel works.

Advance Tickets are still being sold through our website www.wignfrm.org.uk and the 4 for 3 ticket is proving very popular. This will admit two granddads,two grandchildren, two fathers and two breadsnappers (all accompanied children are free) and one stroppy teenager (under 16) for £30, and that even includes 4 guidebooks.

post-1648-0-59797500-1368792778_thumb.jpg

Another photograph of a layout bound for Wigan next month.

This is Roger Epps 's 'Pharcambe Hall' as featured in the Modeller. Pharcambe Hall was the first station out of Workington on the truncated remains of the Penrith, Cockermouth and Workington Railway.

The photograph is by Derek Shore.

• RMweb Gold

Sadly we have had to pull out of doing the Wigan show as an operation my wife and chief operator has been waiting a long time for has been brought forward to June. We will be there next year with either Highbury or Tucking Mill.

This is a great shame as the line up of layouts looks terrific and we have heard nothing but good things about the show. I hope it is a great success and that everyone has a good time.

Jerry and Kim

Sadly we have had to pull out of doing the Wigan show as an operation my wife and chief operator has been waiting a long time for has been brought forward to June. We will be there next year with either Highbury or Tucking Mill.

This is a great shame as the line up of layouts looks terrific and we have heard nothing but good things about the show. I hope it is a great success and that everyone has a good time.

Jerry and Kim

Wigan have been relegated from the Premier League in more ways than one then, this year ;)

• RMweb Gold

Wigan have been relegated from the Premier League in more ways than one then, this year ;)

I hope queensquare won't mind me saying that there are plenty of other layouts present which means that whilst Wigan FC may have been relegated, WFRM still retains it's premier place.

Sorry about that, another Senior Moment.

Hopefully these are two layouts that will appear at Wigan in June.

This should be Paul Gallons's 'FELTON LANE (GOODS)

post-1648-0-73486100-1369242778_thumb.jpg

post-1648-0-55002100-1369242126_thumb.jpg

And I hope this is David Scott's 'STAINSBY'.

Yes, Stainsby is my layout. Have a look in "Layout Topics" where there are more photographs. Greatly looking forward to the Exhibition where I will be ably assisted by fellow "rmwebbers" Jonathan Wealleans and Tom Foster. Do come and say hello to us all otherwise we will feel rather lonely!

Archived