Modelstrip - any hints, tips or advice?

I bought a tub of Modelstrip today as I want to remove a particularly poor job I've made of spraying some acrylic primer on a loco body [Lima Class 31 if you're interested ;) ].

I know there are instructions on the side of the tub, and I have read them, but it's not something I've ever used before. Are there any hints, tips, advice or definate no-no's that I should be aware of when using this stuff to strip paint?

Ok, what I really want to to ask is:

"Are there any experienced strippers who can offer me advice???!!!!" :mosking:

Thanks

Matt

Edited by matto21

Use an airtight container rather than a carrier bag, as the stuff sticks to the bag and gets everywhere. Ok if you're doing a full body but if you're doing a localised application to remove printed detail its much safer.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I use good old brake fluid as a paint stripper and doesn't damage plastic models. As above, use in a plastic container - the smallest that the model will fit in and leave overnight. Wear gloves and wash in warm water. It's best not to pour the waste into the drains but disposed of at a local waste disposal site as you would old oil and paint. The used fluid should be allowed to settle and poured off the gunge and stored for re-use. Dispose of the gunge as above.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 1

I use oven cleaner: put item in poly bag, spray in oven cleaner, seal - then put it in the shed for 24 hours. After, remove item from bag (over the sink, or bowl) flush with cold water and brush with an old toothbrush until old paint is removed.

NB Don't do this in your best suit!

Hi Matt

Had the same problem with Johnson's Kleer which is acrylic just wiped it off with a solution of household ammonia.

Make sure you dilute it as it says on the bottle, i used a small jar and marked the ratio on the side.

My wife didn't like the smell but we all have to make sacrifices.

Good luck

Ian

• 7 years later...

Hello,

I bought a tub of modelstrip to remove a bodged repaint. I opened the tub to find it dry so added a little water to make it soft again.

I smeared the stuff over the loco body and left fir 24hrs.

It doesn't appear to have done anything at all.

Would anyone be able to provide any guidance? Ideally, as I've paid for it I'd like to use it up.

Should it be left longer to soak on?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/03/2013 at 18:25, matto21 said:

Thanks for the suggetions and advice, much appreciated!

Does Modelstrip affect glue - i.e will parts that have been superglued to the loco body [fan grilles etc] be affected? 

Yes it will, even if the parts are superglued. Just a suggestion, you could use bubble wrap, used it many times myself, just make sure it's well sealed, using any sticky tape, to stop the air getting in.

Regards,

Andrew.