Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Any one  in  the   North  Wales  / Deeside/ Chester  area  desperate  for  a  copy  of No1  Mallard  £2.99?

My local  newsagent  has   a  load in stock!!  5  on  the  shelf  and  more  in  a  box!!

The  address  is  Premier  Stores,  Mercia Square,  Mercia  Ave,  MYMYDD ISA, Nr  Mold  Post  code CH7  6UY

Mynydd Isa  id  between  Mold & Buckley.

Nigel the owner  ask me to point  out  the  shop  is currently  only  open  from   early AM  until  approx  12.30 to 1-00PM

My local newsagent has a "Mallard" in stock at the moment and it looks to be quite a nice model, but, on closer inspection, I noticed none of the wheels on the front pony truck are in contact with the track on the display plinth !

I was delighted to see on the packaging, that one of the production Deltics is planned to follow later in the series.

The front wheels on the one I bought this morning were the same but they were easily moved onto the track though!

Tilbury Asda had one this morning. Unless they have reserve stocks hidden away, they don't have it any longer!

We are promised a streamlined Coronation in crimson lake (presumably 6229), A3 4472 (with German style blinkers) SR 'Schools' 'Stowe' GWR 2800 :) , Black 5, 1000 MR Compound, 'Rocket', 'City of Truro' :), LNER K3, SR WC, a Jinty' 3F  "... and many more" *    The 2nd issue is £5.99, then £8.99

The subscription comes with various freebies. I'm thinking about it  (and SWMBO hasn't said "No!")

* This 'Many More' individual gets everywhere! :jester:

Four more this morning (20th Feb) the best one came home with me. (They appear to suffer from misaligned nameplate transfers, damaged/missing brake/scoop standards and a moulding dent which rather spoils the tender side. There is little play in the bogie support which stops it sitting properly on the rails - fairly easy to remedy.)

NEXT a couple of streamlined 'Coronations'.....

Edited by Il Grifone

ASDA in Stevenage has them but due to space is probably only having one at a time on the shelf...... checked WHS in the Town Centre at lunchtime and they have them on display and by the tills..... 6 boxes... looks like 6 in a box waiting for eager buyers.... the model and magazine are good value at 2.99.

Steve

post-17621-0-26423700-1392919390_thumb.jpg I have just bought Issue 1 Mallard and the "A4" Class from W H Smiths in Swanage. There is no date on the magazine and it looks like they issued the magazine with the model last year in other parts of the Country. It is excellent value for money. I am not sure why I bought it as I already have a working model of Mallard and my flat is cluttered with locomotives. I don't even model the LNER.

attachicon.gif002.JPG I have just bought Issue 1 Mallard and the "A4" Class from W H Smiths in Swanage. There is no date on the magazine and it looks like they issued the magazine with the model last year in other parts of the Country. It is excellent value for money. I am not sure why I bought it as I already have a working model of Mallard and my flat is cluttered with locomotives. I don't even model the LNER.

I bought  one  from  the  Co-op  of  all places  yesterday!  I  dont  know  why  I  dont  model  the  LNER  and  currently  not  involved  with  any 00 layouts so  dont  have  a locoshed  to   pose  it  near!!

Edited by Stevelewis

• RMweb Premium

They (issue 1) arrived here on the coast of Norfolk today there was a big stack in the local newsagents, mind you with that stupid sized card backing it doesn't take many to make a big stack!!

I am considering getting more  /  maybe the series, again SWMBO hasn't said NO and I've told her the full price!!

The Q

• RMweb Premium

I am as sure as one can be from having seen the A4 from a year ago, that the model is a copy of Hornby's product. Easy to spot 'tell'; it had a flangeless Cartazzi truck wheelset.

I agree

Sorry, I can see no evidence to support that, having bought a few.

The ones in Smiffs in Brum today definitely looked flangeless.

Keith

In theory, what I have done this evening was an entirely pointless exercise. However the plastic model Mallard cost £2.99 and the loco and tender body shell have a lot of potential for some conversions I think. Mine is sitting on a temporary donor Bachmann A4 chassis, the tender body is sitting on a spare Hornby A4 tender chassis (which, with minimal modification to the tender body, fits perfectly).

Remove moulded handrails and add wire ones, a full repaint plus some etched parts, new buffers, and suddenly you've got a an A4 which isn't quite as good as Hornby's super detail one, but for my money, is better than the Railroad body shell.

post-1656-0-97997600-1392939670.jpg

Pointless? Yes, but a bit of fun nonetheless. If it comes out looking good after modifications and a repaint, then all the better, but if not it was only £2.99. No modifications to the Bachmann chassis at all.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

I am considering getting more  /  maybe the series, again SWMBO hasn't said NO and I've told her the full price!!

The Q

Snap, even at the full price £8.99 per magazine & Model, this looks like an inexpensive way to have a collection of (static) locos which wouldn't have a place on the layout, but nonetheless would make for a worthwhile display. A bit like the old kitmaster/ Airfix/ Dapol range without the need to assemble and, as S.A.C. Martin has shown with the A4, there is potential to produce a running model if desired.

Regards,

John

• Agree 1

My local Martins newsagent had one on the shelf this morning so I did the honourable thing.

I would be interested in the whole series if I thought there were to be a few historical subjects from the early days that would never be made R-T-R. A collection of static versions of locos already in my collection wouldn't be for me. They are doing Rocket and I would like to see how they tackle a subject that doesn't lend itself to a OO translation.

FWIW on Mallard I counted eleven separate handrails but no moulded ones. The bit of cab and tender front detail and glazing makes me wonder if a series of plastic kits could not be made for £8.99 a pop. It needs painting properly in any case. 

I bought one of these the other day - looks cracking for the money. The main reason for buying was because, as many are probably well aware, the front buffer section on Hornby super detailed models is extremely weak, and I own four spare bodies with this component missing. As far as I can tell, the body shape appears to follow that of the R2339 version with some obvious ommisions. So far, i've taken mine off the stand, and popped the buffer beam section out - was fairly straightforward. However, on trial fit I found that it was a little long. I've filed a bit if flash away, but was reluctant to go any further as it was fairly late at night and work called in the morning.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has been able to use this front section as a replacement for a super detailed model. Obviously the front buffers would need sprung replacements, however it should go in place with some fettling. The blues dont match up - to be expected I guess, but I believe it can be `toned' in the worst case, and for BR/wartime models this seciton just needs repainting black anyway.

One copy (now one fewer) at a local newsagent.  I have now, in theory, a cheap body to cut and shut and fit on a 4-6-0 chassis and come up with a streamlined B17.  Not that I'd have anywhere suitable to run a streamlined B17, and of course Garter Blue is the wrong shade of green!

Spot on Eddie. It's a pity no other LNER engines were sent to Barry, or that there had been a Barry of the north. The A4s are well preserved but little else is.

I've discussed my model a bit more on the LNER forum but to fill in the gaps here, I've had another look at the rest of the tender, and whilst my personal preference is to throw away the majority of it, you could in theory carefully remove the over glued bottom, fit full wheel sets with axles and thus have a fully working chassis.

However the tender connection would need some getting so I'm opting to use only the tender body and marry it to spare Hornby A3 and A4 frames.

Handrails come away easily with a scalpel, and humbrol plastic filler can be used to fill in the various nicks on the body shell.

The loco body on closer examination is really very good value for money and is a much superior shape to the Bachmann A4. This is definitely a cheap way of improving upon that breed though of course, why pay for this, a Bachmann A4 and do modelling when you can get Hornby A4s with more detail?

My answer to that would be, because you can (!) so I will if only to show what can be done.

• Like 2

The loco and tender body seem to be straight from the Hornby moulding with cheaper plastic, slightly oversized extras (handrails, etc) and missing detail parts (such as lampirons, whistle) etc. In terms of body shape, it would make an excellent donor, as the most recent A4 by Hornby is pretty much spot on body-wise. Hence my query regarding the front buffer section...

Edited by 84A