Great British Locomotives

EddieB

...There is a third possibility - get hold of a cheap older version of the Triang-Hornby model and use the chassis and tender drive....

Not sure that the Margate wheelbase is correct. This needs to be checked, because in 1981 when Hornby released its 4-4-0 quartet, I recall there were two different chassis to fit the four 4-4-0s; one fitted the GW County and the Compound, whilst the other went under the "Schools" and the "Shire". As I understood it, the standardised Margate wheelbase on one chassis was incorrect for at least one of the engines (possibly the Compound) and maybe one of the others as well.....

Bought a schools today.  Quality is very good for the price  For a copy the finish is very good, I'd like to know how they make the copy. Do they create a mould from an existing model and then add details? Presumably a bit similar to the rather crude black "Coal" loco shelf models which have been sold for some years.  Use of the current schools is quite encouraging for future models - i do hope GBL use the up to date model for the LMS Class 5. One small point on the livery finish.  Both the loco and the tender carry the loco number 828 which is incorrect, the number was either on the tender or the loco at different times but not both.

Just bought today in Dorchester. Checked for chimney was the correct way round, but did not notice the dodgy paint work and smokebox door at 90 degrees!

Part of the motion is broken on one side, but registration of paint on left hand smoke deflector plus numerous scratches and missed paint on corners of tender means a repaint. I was only going to use it under the Ratio Loco Hoist so not too bothered.

I have only bought the Mallard previously.

post-20378-0-78012600-1397749292_thumb.jpg

post-20378-0-69824400-1397749311_thumb.jpg

post-20378-0-22607600-1397749343_thumb.jpg

post-20378-0-42772700-1397749355_thumb.jpg

post-20378-0-56859900-1397749371_thumb.jpg

post-20378-0-62390100-1397749391_thumb.jpg

post-20378-0-56564800-1397749413_thumb.jpg

post-20378-0-56564800-1397749413_thumb.jpg

post-20378-0-91224700-1397749447_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I wonder if the quality, of the schools, coming now is somewhat accidental. The original lists claimed it to come earlier and it was shown as number 4 in the adverts so maybe it was originally meant to come fourth so I don't expect the quality to remain as high, I think it will drop again before it gets better if it even does.

Rhys

I wonder if the quality, of the schools, coming now is somewhat accidental....

The misaligned smokebox door and slavish copy of misaligned valve gear (see union link and combination lever) certainly gives it a charm all of its own..... :jester:

Has anyone here subscribed and received theirs in the post yet. I have and the payment went from my account two weeks ago, but as yet I have not received and models. I suspect they are using surnames alphabeticaly, in which case I will get mine last!

cheers

Shane

The misaligned smokebox door and slavish copy of misaligned valve gear (see union link and combination lever) certainly gives it a charm all of its own..... :jester:

Ok quality was poor choice of word ;) but what I mean is its better than the 28xx.

Rhys

What I meant was the A4 was brilliant, the Duchess just as good, the A3 wasn't too bad but the 28xx was fairly dreadful, I just wondered if the schools should have come after the Scotsman but they changed it for whatever reason after all the lists and adverts show it as number 4.

Rhys

Hi Rhys,

Although you 'might' be right about the handrails on Evening Star time will tell.

Don't read too much into the picture on the website though as what you see might just be something different - lets say not the GBL release version perhaps.

Regards

For those who fear that they have missed out on a "Schools" class loco, talking to my local newsagent this morning, he tells me that here, in Derby area, the recall date for unsold issue 5 items is the 30th of April. The local wholesaler will have unsold returns for a couple of days and any newsagent should be able to get one in that short time window. After that they should be available on "back order" if your local man will play ball.

I don't see the big boys (Smiffs et al) jumping through the hoops but the smaller guys may do so if you ask nicely..

Could some kind soul please take a pair of calipers and a ruler to the Schools boiler and give me the outside diameter and length, I have an idea.

From the reported shortages, these do seem to be selling well which augers well for not having to subscribe to get the few I want as the series continues.

Managed to get 3 at my local ASDA yesterday all had the chimney cap backwards and the smoke box door 90 degrees! Amateurs  LOL.

Other than that much better than the 28xx just a shame it doesn't have separate handrails.

Only problem is I can't seem to get the body separated from the chassis took the two screws out of the keeper plate  but it looks like it may be glued in by the cylinders and maybe the front frames. 

Didn't want to destroy it totally so any tips?

Cheers Trailrage

To remove the smokebox door use a small screwdriver or a scalpel blade. Gently ease the door off the door is glued in so go carefully. Work your way around the door it's not too difficult a job. Just take your time good luck and let us know how you get on.

• Like 1

Just bought today in Dorchester. Checked for chimney was the correct way round, but did not notice the dodgy paint work and smokebox door at 90 degrees!

Part of the motion is broken on one side, but registration of paint on left hand smoke deflector plus numerous scratches and missed paint on corners of tender means a repaint. I was only going to use it under the Ratio Loco Hoist so not too bothered.

I have only bought the Mallard previously.

attachicon.gifIMG_2427.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2428.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2429.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2430.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2431.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2432.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2433.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2433.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2434.jpg

My one has the same issue. Smokebox door 90 degrees the wrong way. I saw some in my local Smiths which all had the same problem.

To remove the smokebox door use a small screwdriver or a scalpel blade. Gently ease the door off the door is glued in so go carefully. Work your way around the door it's not too difficult a job. Just take your time good luck and let us know how you get on.

Thanks for that. It worked with a fine screwdriver, so now it's in the correct orientation. I can't believe it though - I searched carefully good quality examples but missed the fact that my Schools one and the A3 have a missing buffer each. I'm going to have to buy another for the spares.  Really stupid mistake!