Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Hi Calkins,

A very interesting idea indeed.

However a few problems arise.

I am wondering if by any chance you were speaking 'tongue in cheek' with your proposal - please accept my apologies if I'm wrong as I don't wish to cause you any offence.

Regards

Hi TheWeatheringMan,

It was mentioned with a bit of my tongue in my cheek :) but Titan's post below yours, and considering the detail quality, I was thinking of doing a swap of the better details.

By the way no apology is needed. :)

Cheers

If anyone who has motorised their model would they be interested in selling the bogies side frames as the only model I have been able to buy had been opened and one side frame is now missing

That missing sideframe is probably being used as a master for resin castings, for all we know....

Looks like it was painted with one of those! Isn't predictive text a wonderful thing (not)!

Sorry, slipped into French... where rubber stamps are tampons.

Edited by Smiffy2

• RMweb Premium

I examined my copy of the Deltic a bit more thoroughly having removed it from the packaging. As I mentioned above my example was quite well finished apart from the pale green stripe being too yellow. On the other side the 'pale green' stripe fades from the yellow to more or less the correct shade. On closer examination this depends upon the thickness of the paint, the green of the main body showing through the 'yellow' paint.

ok now for my bodge If you are using the loco as a static model on a layout since the bogies don't turn you can only put it on straight track. To make the bogies turn here is what I did. where the bogie attaches there are three plastic bits to put the screws into cut off two of them but leave the middle one. I then used the long screw that had held the loco to the plinth and screwed the bogie on with that now it is too long but I couldn't be bothered cutting it down keep screwing it in it will come through the other side but don't worry once its screwed in the bogie will be able to turn. if you are just putting it in a display case you don't need to do this.

I found the original bogie fixing screws worked just as well through the central "plinth" hole.

Eventually found a couple of these in WHS Burgess Hill on way home today - Haywards Heath doesn't seem to stock them any more. I was quite pleased to find them having planned to buy and strip to do a repaint so wasn't worried about any poor finish on the model... but blimey they were bad. I too considered that they were based on a rough copy of the Bachmann model... but it's an approximation and lacks the refinement (what you'd expect for the price I suppose .... as others have said)... I ummed and ahhed... and then put them back.....

I finally found three in Hemel Hempstead. They stayed in Hemel Hempstead.

Not by me, I assure you.

...he said, quickly pushing a newly-cured mould off his desk.... Edited by Horsetan

Looking forward to the T9, but wish they'd do a Terrier. They might. I hope.

The Terrier can kindly wait behind the Y7, which is suggested by their website (no, I doubt we'll see it either). What I'm waiting to see with the Jinty and Locomotion is how they cope with something so small on the standard trackbase. Might they add a wagon?

Or - can they  [gasp!] be doing a different length of trackbase? Could we collect those as well? ;)

It's a shame that more care couldn't have been taken over the model's finish... maybe at that price, quality control or checking ... or even taking care to do a half decent job in the first place aren't a consideration.

It would be interesting to find out how much they cost to the newsagent. Think a comparison can easilly be made if we equate them with a Mk1 GUV for example which a RTR ones are well over twice the cost so to expect something perfect at that price would be hoping for a huge bargain. Obviously Mallard and Coronation were loss leaders although it would be interesting if someone lodged a claim against them that had entered into a subscription on the basis the rest would be of similar standard. From normal viewing distance of a layout are its faults, paintwork excepting, that noticeable?

The Terrier can kindly wait behind the Y7, which is suggested by their website (no, I doubt we'll see it either). What I'm waiting to see with the Jinty and Locomotion is how they cope with something so small on the standard trackbase. Might they add a wagon?

Or - can they  [gasp!] be doing a different length of trackbase? Could we collect those as well? ;)

I have hopes of a carriage with Rocket. But who knows...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I notice that the transparent packaging is the same as well, well the A4 and the Deltic are.

• RMweb Premium

I have to point out, that due to poor quality control at the Chinese manufacturers, incorrect assembly has meant that items 52 - 57 will not rotate as intended!

Keith

Edited by melmerby

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brio-33435-BRIO-Cargo-Engine/dp/B000EHPZL8/ref=sr_1_157?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1400192942&sr=1-157&keywords=brio  

All of this complaining about terrible finish etc, its ONLY 8.99!!! hopefully the above link has worked to show what you can get for around ten quid, i think i'll stick with the Deltic thanks even if the Brio loco has rotating wheels!!

It would be interesting to find out how much they cost to the newsagent. Think a comparison can easilly be made if we equate them with a Mk1 GUV for example which a RTR ones are well over twice the cost so to expect something perfect at that price would be hoping for a huge bargain. Obviously Mallard and Coronation were loss leaders although it would be interesting if someone lodged a claim against them that had entered into a subscription on the basis the rest would be of similar standard. From normal viewing distance of a layout are its faults, paintwork excepting, that noticeable?

I suspect that the breakdown of the costs is magazine £8.99 and model free (for VAT reasons). There would not really be a case to answer.

EDIT to make sense.

Edited by Il Grifone

Is the 'fluke' concerning the highly unlikely event of it actually working? :jester:

EDIT.

I see it was strangely published in the December issue. I would have thought April more appropriate....

Hilarious link - Thanks!

Edited by Il Grifone

One potential fault I have not seen mentioned, the bogie frames are handed. Mine has 3 of one and one of the other, assembled so that only one is the right way round! Besides that it seems to exhibit most if not all the previously mentioned issues as expected.

Having just got home with a Deltic, I've managed to take it apart and discovered the fuel tanks are in three parts.

The two outer sides, with the detail on, are fitted on to a central block on the chassis, that is equal to half of the width.

I have also compared some detail on the GBL model with the Lima 1970s model, and I am thinking that a mix and match project is becoming more feasible, and if I select the right panels, the scale difference might not be so obvious.

• Like 1