Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Rubbed off some of the excess paint on mine using a foam "magic eraser", the dark green appears to have a satin varnish coat. Not noticed any problems with no, logo alignment.

With Rocket I'm hoping they copy the Airfix kit and it comes with both a closed and open coach.

Edited by Butler Henderson

• RMweb Premium

The subscription copy of evening star and Celtic have just landed, star has a displaced bracketry for the valve gear on one side, the Celtic has a scratch on the yellow band but other wise OK.

The Q

Rubbed off some of the excess paint on mine using a foam "magic eraser", the dark green appears to have a satin varnish coat. Not noticed any problems with no, logo alignment.

With Rocket I'm hoping they copy the Airfix kit and it comes with both a closed and open coach.

lets hope its not this one!!!!!   :   http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thomas-Friends-Take-N-Play-Stephen-Engine/dp/B00C58IAFC/ref=sr_1_10?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1400275519&sr=1-10&keywords=thomas+the+tank+engine

I have a confession to make. Despite my best intentions (see post #874) I succumbed this morning.

Went shopping to my local ASDA and was perusing the magazine shelves. Couldn't see any GBL mags so thought I was safe. Then an assistant came up and asked if I was looking for anything in particular. I made the fatal mistake of saying the GBL magazine.

"Oh, we keep those in the back as people have been stealing the locos out of them". Off she goes to see if there are any, but she returns empty handed. "We must have sold the last one".

Phew, a close shave.

"Have you tried the newsagents next door?" she enquired. Actually I had been in there on a previous occasion but didn't find anything, but I thought, why not?

And there on the shelf was a solitary Deltic.....

I just couldn't leave it could I.......................

• Like 3

After an hour of cutting and drilling I've managed to get an old Lima 37 motor and unpowered bogie in the GBL Deltic chassis. Still needs guides on either side of the motor bogie to hold it in place and a fixing between chassis and body, as I cut a bit too much off the chassis off (!), but it looks like this is going to be a simple enough method of motorising the GBL loco. The Lima 37 steps are obviously wrong but otherwise the effect is not bad.

I found a couple of Deltics in WH Smith today, the finish on these was noticably better than my first purchase. The white window surrounds were applied better and the yellow lower band wasn't oversprayed onto the BR dark green.

However (there's always a down side!!) the front yellow warning panel had fuzzy edges (this was not bad on the original) and a horn was missing....This one could therefore look much better with full yellow ends as 55002 in 1981 condition, if I can get the D numbers off this is what I'll do with it. I have a couple of scratch built ETH jumpers that could come in use, and it will need a plated headcode. 

In the meantime here are some pics of the motorised GBL chassis with Lima 37 bogies. Still needs the bogies levelled, weight added and a bit of the chassis sides filed down to allow the bogies to turn on tight curves as there is slight fouling. It runs fine on the straight just now. Obviously the steps still need sorted, that may be a job for another day.

post-16866-0-10763600-1400349808_thumb.jpg

post-16866-0-42467700-1400349824_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

W. H. Smiths at Swanage had sold out of Deltics by Friday and the manager said he would order some more. Today he said that his suppliers have run out as well. This is probably a blessing in disguise as the cost of my collection of Great British Locomotives is mounting up to the extent that it will soon equal to the cost of a ready to run locomotive. I have also run out of storage space

Don't know if there have been any notes on the quality of the magazine which accompanies the model?

As I've just  two models (Princess Coronation and Deltic), these are the only ones I can comment on. I must say they are much better  than I expected. Well produced with an informative centre spread and interesting photos. The photo on the back of the Deltic mag is a delight and not one I've seen before.

• Like 1

W. H. Smiths at Swanage had sold out of Deltics by Friday and the manager said he would order some more. Today he said that his suppliers have run out as well. This is probably a blessing in disguise as the cost of my collection of Great British Locomotives is mounting up to the extent that it will soon equal to the cost of a ready to run locomotive. I have also run out of storage space

Are they selling out because more are being bought or because GBL are manufacturing less as the series continues?

I think maybe because some of us are bulk buying I bought 5 deltics one is now BR blue the next will also be blue maybe with white cab surrounds, two others will be repainted two tone green. 

I think when some future models come out for example locomotion there will be a lot left on the shelves. As there is a lot less potential with it. Other models like the western will sell well as they carried lots of liverys. 

No repaints into porterbrook purple??

I'm thinking of doing something similar, but hopefully note quite so 'purple'

:)

P.S. what about Harry Needle RailRoad Livery?

Edited by Catkins

• RMweb Premium

So if I said someone I know wants one in EWS livery.....?

Historically equally anachronistic, but far less likely to induce nausea.

:scratchhead:

Regards,

John

• Like 1