EddieB

You beat me to it Il Grifone!

But, out of your 11 points of criticism,

1/ agree

2/ agree

3/ my brake hangers were ok

4/ agree!

5/ agree

6/ I don't think they're meant to be working!

7/ agree

8/ agree

9/ no problem on mine

10/ agree

11/not sure what you mean, or what the problem is?

Jeff

Sorry i didn't mean to steat your thunder and would welcome your appraisal.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0d/City_of_Truro_3717_Didcot_%2810%29.jpg

However to illustrate my points

3. Maybe OK on position but far too heavy - the real thing is not so obvious.

6. I was referring to the two vertical parts of the handles - could easily cause broken limbs to 4mm loco crews - I think they are also too high - likewise the fireiron guide

9. Perhaps I was just unlucky

11. See the photo of the real thing - A working model would need the wheels to come out and a prototypical removable section is impractical.

But nothing that can't be easily sorted out - well worth a set of etched plates (which will cost about as much as the locomotive!).

Edited by Il Grifone

Three smokebox darts?!?  :O

I'm afraid so! - if you blow up the picture on the magazine cover they can just be seen - I'll have to see if I've got a Kitmaster door left over. (The strange brake/water scoop handles and sloping running plate as well)

http://www.greatbritishlocomotive.co.uk/the-models/

Looks like a K3 from the (rather small) illustration. Hope it is.

According to the magazine picture the model is no. 1902, which is a K3. The plan was to paint all locomotives green from 1946, but I don't know if any K3s were.

Edited by Il Grifone

I'm afraid so! - if you blow up the picture on the magazine cover they can just be seen - I'll have to see if I've got a Kitmaster door left over. (The strange brake/water scoop handles and sloping running plate as well)

http://www.greatbritishlocomotive.co.uk/the-models/

Not very clear on here, unfortunately. The door does appear to be a bit too big, though.

No problem David, my thunder is still intact

(not that I had much to start with!).

I was just trying to check it out for those

who were 'on the fence' about buying.

But you've already done a better job!

Jeff

Removing the lamp left a gloop of glue on the back of the tender. Luckily there should be a vacuum pipe there instead!

Now I have to decide whether this model is sufficiently better than my Airfix one* to merit a second example.

*Motorised (as 3712 'City of Bristol') with a K's tender drive (A beautifully smooth unit for once) in a Triang 'Lord of the Isles' tender to EM gauge back in the early 70s in unlined green 1920s livery.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

Could not find a copy in Glasgow either has anyone in Scotland seen one yet?

There were 6 in Asda at The Jewel in Edinburgh this morning, 5 once I'd left....

Nice to see the livery quality improved again, pity the Deltic wasn't up to this standard.

At least one K3 was Green .Bachmann have done a version as No 1935 no idea if pre or post war probably post war as a number of locos had single examples done e.g V1/V3  and J72 both also done by Bachmann.

Edited by micklner

The darts are just plain strange. Is the tender a little low? The steps don't seem to be in line. The chimney is easy to correct, though. The dart should be easy enough to carve off and then it would just be a case of repainting the smokebox and chimney, a bit of detail painting here or there. Shame about the handrails. But will be a nice shelf-filler.

I see the magazine repeats the claim that 100mph was impossible due to lack of power on the part of GWR 'Cities'. I have read this - it states just over 90 likely, but it's not supported by publishing the maths and would require two independent timings (one by a very well respected expert) to be seriously out.

Rous-Marten was perhaps not that "well respected" as I have read some criticisms of his timing technique (like not keeping his head still) and sadly Kennedy's notebook was thrown out when he died so that record is unavailable to us. There is also the possibility that if one of the mileposts was misplaced, that could have led to both recorders noting erroneous speeds.

However I did some calculations a few years ago (sadly also lost) which showed that if Truro did 80mph at the exit of Whiteball Tunnel as recorded by Rous-Marten, then she would have only had to have overcome the train's resistance to motion (and yes, I appreciate that at that speed even that is not a negligible force!) in order to reach 100mph at the bottom - gravity would have done the rest!

I have also on one occasion recreated the Ocean Mails as closely as possible in Microsoft Train Simulator, achieved 80mph at Whiteball and subsequent speed at the bottom of the bank was ... 102.3mph! So even allowing the concessions in my first paragraph, I'm sure 3440 was capable of such a speed. 

No sign of Truro in my local Asda. They have had all previous issues. The space on the shelf was taken up with some cake related magazine. Bah! If there is still demand I don't see why the publisher would reduce the numbers supplied.