Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Weatheringman it's a pity you are not posting the review of the compound I always enjoy reading them. Could you maybe give your opinion on a couple of things? Is the Midland red correct? It looks lighter in the photos. I know the shade will look different depending on the light, and also colours in photographs can change due to a number of factors.

Secondly where did the Seam line around the area of the boiler dome come from presumably it is not on the Bachmann model.

Thanks in advance

Sorry wasnt specific in my last post....I appreciate the planned locos in the series....was just wondering what or if was replacing the next model initially listed as locomotion. There seems to have been a common thread this will not now appear. In previous weeks the next model has been shown on the release of the current one ...in this case the compound. Is it an omen that the series is running out of steam. If it does what will I do with my time, instead of blogging....blimey I could even take up modelling. ( not in the fashion sense that is for all those of a sensitive nature.)

On the subject of modelling my urges got the better of me and have forsaken the Ivatt for now,and am applying plasticard to my donor Hornby railroad compound.body. It and the comet chassis now seem more likely to be a match made in heaven. The body already minus the raised footplate and new splashers in place. Will photo in due course when looking more like a class3 belpaire. High level gearbox now running sweetly.....really must start finishing some of these projects, instead of starting new ones.. Crickey that's another portion of modelling time spent on this infernal device.

• Like 2

Having run a stall at swopmeets/toyfairs in the past, I couldn't agree more. Some punters seem to want things at less than cost price - some of them even use soap and water (remember that song by Berlin called Take My Breath Away?)

Although I haven't been able to do anything model wise for a little while, I did get a look at the Midland Compound in the newsagent, didn't buy it as due to the debacle with the subscription, will be coming in the post.  Compound did look really rather good and am looking forward to the 4MT tank in particular which should look good in front of a couple of Dapol CKD non-corridors andmay even do a Mornington Crescent destination board for it.  Why not.

As a matter of interest, did the 4MT tanks venture anywhere else other than the Southern and Scottish regions (snapshot from Wikipedia).

Edit: another typo (spotted this time!)

Also saw the compound today, as usual the locomotive case was detached from the magazine. Model looked ok to me. A bit too much silver paint and moulded on handrails. Looked like a compound though.

As for the 4MT allocation, not an exhaustive list, just the main shed numbers.

1, 2, 5, 6, 9,10,14, 15, 17, 24, 26, 30, 31, 33, 34, 50, 55, 56, 61, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 70, 71, 72, 73, 75, 82, 83, 87 & 89.

Should help to work out which regions had them.

Also saw the compound today, as usual the locomotive case was detached from the magazine. Model looked ok to me. A bit too much silver paint and moulded on handrails. Looked like a compound though.

As for the 4MT allocation, not an exhaustive list, just the main shed numbers.

1, 2, 5, 6, 9,10,14, 15, 17, 24, 26, 30, 31, 33, 34, 50, 55, 56, 61, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 70, 71, 72, 73, 75, 82, 83, 87 & 89.

Should help to work out which regions had them.

Doh! No 8's.

(Looks for the list of excuses)

Wild Boar Fell

Having run a stall at swopmeets/toyfairs in the past, I couldn't agree more. Some punters seem to want things at less than cost price - some of them even use soap and water (remember that song by Berlin called Take My Breath Away?)

Although I haven't been able to do anything model wise for a little while, I did get a look at the Midland Compound in the newsagent, didn't buy it as due to the debacle with the subscription, will be coming in the post.  Compound did look really rather good and am looking forward to the 4MT tank in particular which should look good in front of a couple of Dapol CKD non-corridors andmay even do a Mornington Crescent destination board for it.  Why not.

As a matter of interest, did the 4MT tanks venture anywhere else other than the Southern and Scottish regions (snapshot from Wikipedia).

Edit: another typo (spotted this time!)

Re. your. query on the "Standard 4MT"s outside of the Scottish and Southern Regionsi Quote from my 1962 Locoshed book as follows:  Stratford - 80071/3-7 and Tilbury - 80103, Neville Hill 80116-20, some 15 or so had gone to the WR at this stage South wales and Shrewsbury areas. Holbeck had a pair briefly c.1959/60 too. Interestingly 80101 is shown at 99A (!!) (in error for 89A I suspect). Model Rail no. 68 June 2004 covers them in "Master-class" and the tug-of-war between some regions for them! HTH

Dear all back on this machine ..in meantime however had a bash at the class 3 belpaire.I  have just photoed her seductively posed on my dining room window ledge. She is quite obviously a work in progress.....her other side not quite so photogenic yet.

post-23587-0-30386800-1409081281_thumb.jpg

post-23587-0-71891600-1409081300_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Re. your. query on the "Standard 4MT"s outside of the Scottish and Southern Regionsi Quote from my 1962 Locoshed book as follows:  Stratford - 80071/3-7 and Tilbury - 80103, Neville Hill 80116-20, some 15 or so had gone to the WR at this stage South wales and Shrewsbury areas. Holbeck had a pair briefly c.1959/60 too. Interestingly 80101 is shown at 99A (!!) (in error for 89A I suspect). Model Rail no. 68 June 2004 covers them in "Master-class" and the tug-of-war between some regions for them! HTH

80103 was the first one to be withdrawn (cracked frames).

post-4032-0-66704400-1409136956.jpg

The static model straight out of the wrapping doesn't look bad at all at the back of the layout imho

post-4032-0-31519100-1409137037.jpg

Cut the moulded handrails off 3 of mine, here's 2 of them but unlike 46256 I haven't fitted new handrails yet.

post-4032-0-57442400-1409137167.jpg

Looking at the ejector on the right hand side, not sure whether to cut this off and replace it or if it actually looks ok as it is.

post-4032-0-78329100-1409137305.jpg

This is an Airfix 4F which got changed to right hand drive (rather some years ago now)

post-4032-0-36997900-1409137374.jpg

And a kit built 3F but ejector perhaps not enough detail?   There seem to be some pipes sticking up above the ejector body on the prototype which perhaps ought to be there (they are moulded on the compound).

So another decision. 

Found I'd run out of red primer (and time) so the "what colour is crimson lake, is it Humbrol 20" issue is still out there......

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A couple of photos of the GBL Deltic, running on Lima bogies from a CL37.I used the original Lima bogie mountings, which needed filing to fit into the GBL body, and they are force fit with just a touch of impact adhesive. I thought at some stage I might fit it to a Bachmann chassis if a cheap one turned up - sorry to those who feel trying to get a bargain is not the proper thing to do- but it actually runs o.k  - a bit noisily , but pulls 9 coaches, which is the normal consist on my layout.

The body is really just a rename/number. I have attempted some weathering, using Tamiya Weathering Pads. The beauty of these, for folk like me who don't own an airbrush and struggle to wield a paintbrush, is that they simply come away with water. The disadvantage is they also smudge if carelessly handled.

For anyone looking to make a start motorising these models, the Deltic with Lima bogies is probably as easy and cheap as any. For the more adventurous, Shawplan etches designed for the Bachmann model should work just as well on the GBL version.

Hi Rowan

With my stretched Lima Deltics I have used the Lima 37 bogies. I turned them the other way round so the steeps lined up with the cab doors. It does mean the middle brake cylinder is facing the wrong way but in my mind the steeps under the door looks better than http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/62561-rough-engineering-made-easy-converting-diesels

I have not seen a GBL Deltic in the flesh but the nose looks a lot like that of the Dapol DP2.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

Thanks for the note about the steps. I think the same point was raised when the GBL Deltic came out and I forgot about it.It will be tricky to change now, but I agree it looks odd as it is, once you know! I may invest in a Shawplan etch.

Hi,

Just a quick add on to my previous re the colour.

Humbrol No. 20 is deffinatly not anything like the correct colour, nor is any other colour in any Humbrol or other range with the exception of Railmatch and/or Precision authentics.

For Midland Railway period i'd use Precision and for LMS i'd prefer Railmatch - these are my personal preferences being able to compare paints with my original colour panels but always remember that we all 'see' colours differently so another person might disagree with my preferences - I have my views as above but would never say that those views will look right to everyone - they simply cant.

Regards

Hi, hope you're doing ok health wise.   Thanks for the info on Midland colours. I've seen the original Midland red described as an iron oxide red, which was somewhat brown but when covered with 10 or so coats of varnish turned into a lustrous deeper red. Then the LMS went on with the same colour but hen due to cost concerns went over to black on most locos.  So presumably the LMS shade could also have been lighter if they were cutting back (perhaps less varnish, or leaving longer between repaints?)  An interesting topic.

Now the compound (1000) will be the only Midland crimson lake loco on the layout,, so apart from the best paint for crimson lake, what would be the best match for the GBR model red, as I could probably get away with just repainting the boiler?  Haven't tried any paint patches yet from the paints I've got.

A different query is about the difference between LMS red and BR maroon (managed to repaint coaches that look ok next to Bachmann maroon ones) so is the LMS shade lighter or perhaps looks sufficiently the same in 1:76?

Thanks

Apologies!! TheWeatheringMan, I'd missed your post above where you mention that the GBR model is much too brown in shade. This calls for another think - should I repaint the whole model the correct shade of red....fortunately my other 2 conversions will be black...

Edited by railroadbill

Hi Rowanj,

Somewhere along the line after reviewing the GBL 'Deltic' I did mention this 'trick' which Clive has very usefully mentioned again.

Just a thought but how have you secured the Lima bogies into your model - I only ask as I was wondering if perhaps there might be a way of doing it on your model - i've rebuilt a lot of Lima chassis one way or another over the years so I hope you dont mind me asking just in case anything i've done might offer a solution for you - of course without risking any damage to you model - if there were any risk of this then i'd agree that carving off the moulded steps and replacement with an etch would be much more preferable. 

Regards

I used the whole of the Lima chassis into which the bogies sit, squeezed into the GBL body after filing.The centre tanks are cut from the GBL chassis. So in theory I should be able to switch the bogies around but in practice my first few efforts to free them have been unsuccessful and I'm loath to pull and pry too much. I,ll have another look,but it may be best just to get the etch if cutting away the Lima steps looks feasible and can be done to leave a neat finish.If I do that, I'll also fit the missing etched lifting plates.

For all LNER fans Hatchette have launched a new partwork (today I believe - shown on ITV this aft) - an "O" gauge "Mallard" in garter blue - first issue 50p and then 129 more at £7:99 each. The body at least is in etched brass. The ad shows footage of it running on a length of track so is presumably is motorised(!). PS Also a German U-96 U-boat partwork launched (no pun intended) too (150 parts). (is there a website for WW2 militaria buffs I wonder!) :O

To all the participants of this forum some of whom I gather are not in the best of health, best wishes. I really appreciate the modelling skills we use to transform these models into working pieces. It is the difference between those, who,whilst excellent, even exceptional modellers create still life..ie diaromas .....we infuse movement (life) into our creations....this series has allowed us to try out...resurrect old mechanisms...in short enjojy our wonderful hobby. Now where did I put that glass of single malt before tapping out this post.....

Thank you I look forward to reading the review I'm sure it will be to your usual high standard.

Totally agree.

If you are feeling up to it, and please don't put yourself back, but your reviews are ALWAYS compulsive reading, so if you can - please post it. They always add significantly to our knowledge despite all that has previously been posted.

Hi TheWeatheringMan, hope you're soon 100% again, i've met lots of people who have had hip ops and after a while they've all been glad they had it done. Just takes a while for things to settle down. As I've found, more tablets as one gets over 60 though, at least I'm old enough not to have to pay for them!

Thanks very much for that very comprehensive history of loco and coach paint, that will be very useful. There was some discussion on the Dapol Western thread about the right shade of maroon and whether it was the same as coaches, so confirmation that they should be  the same is useful.

Interesting that MR crimson/BR maroon is actually the same colour (or was intended to be).

Strange that the LMS pacifics were a lighter shade when some were repainted in BR days, that's a loco on my "get one in red one day" list so I'll revisit that one someday. Presumably the effect of (earlier period) constant cleaning and then (later period) not much cleaning of locos had an effect on the perceived colour as well.

Thanks again for your knowledge of the research that was carried out and for making it available. That should nail it!

cheers,

Bill

Dear all my last post was inspired by the photos of the deltic motorised as described by the author. In addition as stated health is an issue for a number of us. In respect of this series I have just bought another compound from wh smith merry hill in the Black Country. It had at least another 5 on display.

As stated in my piece on the class3 belpaire rather than use the GBL models I have instead elected to butcher the Hornby railroad body, left after I used her chassis. This was in part because it had the handrails already in place. It is one of my pet hates carving off unwanted detail. The other was the desire to preserve at least one of the GBL models I now have.. To my eye the livery is very well applied...in particular it's Brunswick green main coat......only joking goodness me whatever next LNWR lined black. The red to me is about right and the Midland coat of arms very nicely applied.

I note still no announcement of the next issue...could it be big Bertha or the gresley Garratt.?

Happy modelling