Great British Locomotives

EddieB

This is an "interesting" conversion I did some time ago which I think illustrates what can be done with these models. "Diamond Jubilee" had a 94P boiler and A4 type non-corridor tender, so quite different to the GBL Scotsman. I used the GBL cab and footplate with the boiler from a Hornby tender-drive A3, matched to the tender from the GBL Mallard .It's on one of the early Hornby super-detail chassis from the time you could pick them up for £20 or so.

I'm surprised to see, 2 years down the track, there are still complaints about the quality of the locos in this series. Some of them have been very satisfactory, some o.k, and some quite poor, depending upon the age and provenance of the cloned source. It would have been nice, I suppose, if they had all been taken from recent, high-quality RTR, but I suspect Amercom must always have had one eye on potential litigation. But at only £8.99 a shot? What do we expect at that price? Have a look at, e.g Hattons, who are as competitive as anyone, and outside Railroad, the price bands are mainly in the £100 - £150 category, with some notable and welcome bargains outside this range. And the GBL target audience was never serious modellers.

This is probably my last post, so I'll end by adding that, with some notable exceptions, I'm disappointed by how little actual modelling has appeared on this thread. Thank you to those whose work did appear, much of which I "cloned" to aid my own conversions. Pls use PM if I can be of any help, or just for a chat. I,ll continue to put the odd update on the thread at the link below.

John

post-1659-0-64481700-1440941394.jpg

post-1659-0-68548700-1440941405.jpg

• Like 10

I suspect the latter - can't ever recall seeing a Triang-Hornby or Lima version with this number, can anyone confirm this at all?

I have 2 old two tone green Lima Brush 4's. They are D1574 which has the same light green as the GBL loco, and D1842 which has a strange pea green colour. Both as bought i.e ex factory.

Just got the other running this afternoon. I've decided to leave the GBL buffers as is for now, the stocks need a bit of red paint and the heads toning down a bit.

Brush 4's are taking over my layout, just like the real thing !!!

This is what I hope to achieve with the weathering. I reckon the existing GBL greens will be OK under the grime.

d1755_man_vic_bm.jpg

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 6

What is the next loco after the47? it should be inside the front cover of the 47 magazine

Just had a look. Issue 41 Locomotion & Chaldron wagon. This Wednesday I think.

Brit15

I've got to work out how Locomotion's valve rods work - never seen anything else quite like it!

IIRC, it's called grasshopper valve gear.

This is pi?? me off as I wrote a nice reply and it has gone.

I'll try and do it again.

The vertical cylinders each drove one axle, by using con. rods that meant that the wheels were kept in sinc.  But when you look at the wheels you will see that one cylinder is driving one wheel at approx. 90 Deg. to the other one on the same side. So that should mean that the push rods on both sides of the same axle are only working on the same stroke. That is why the wheels have to be set out of sinc.

The wheels are of the type that were made by Blenkingsop? (spelling check) These were quite an idea for the time that this loco was built, These wheels were cast as an inner one piece casting and the outer as a number of casting IIRC. Then the two rims? were fixed together using round wooden plugs between the outer and inner castings to try and reduce any movement between the track and the loco frames.as most locos at this time did not have any form of suspension

IIRC this wheel was used on one of the £5 notes a few years back 

OzzyO.

Edited by ozzyo

Yes, Blenkinsop invented the first rack-and-pinion rail system. I found a reference in a book by the late Peter Wright that says the Locomotion wheel pattern is a Hackworth design rather than Blenkinsop.

Some Googling has turned up some more diagrams.

I'm very intrigued.

Edited by Horsetan

none  at all yet in rugby WHSmiths or asda or sainsburies   guess i will be hitting the usual suspects down london tomorrow  i only want 3 or 4 lol and  my next stop is the Class 47   group for some ideas .... i can see this being very messy ................  will buying 4 be enough ??????

Edited by nigelb

I've got to work out how Locomotion's valve rods work - never seen anything else quite like it!

It is quite impressive enough if the yokes on the ends of the piston rods, the yoke guides, the connecting rods to the wheels and the coupling rods  are represented, and all the moving parts move. A P4 layout which was exhibited for the 150th anniversary in 1975 had most of this tackle in rigid wire, only the coupling rods were mechanically functional.

The valve gear drive proper comes off eccentrics on the axle at the driver's end, the eccentric rods go up to a frame above the firebox, and there are the gabs and valve rods running to the valves adjacent each cylinder. The movements are tiny, can all be done rigid in fine wire in 4mm unless feeling truly heroic would be my suggestion.

I wasn't really aware of this series but noticed the 47 in Smiths in Exmouth and initially dismissed it but ended up buying one. As I have a static train at the back of Peafore Yard as part of the backscene and the 47 could fulfil the role of train engine rather than one of my working locos so it will be secured permanently to the layout reusing the plinth screws and holes. It will get a respray and light detailing to bring it up to a reasonable standard so I am v happy with my find.

• Like 2

It is quite impressive enough if the yokes on the ends of the piston rods, the yoke guides, the connecting rods to the wheels and the coupling rods  are represented, and all the moving parts move. A P4 layout which was exhibited for the 150th anniversary in 1975 had most of this tackle in rigid wire, only the coupling rods were mechanically functional.

The valve gear drive proper comes off eccentrics on the axle at the driver's end, the eccentric rods go up to a frame above the firebox, and there are the gabs and valve rods running to the valves adjacent each cylinder. The movements are tiny, can all be done rigid in fine wire in 4mm unless feeling truly heroic would be my suggestion.

It's got to be worth a laugh.

WH Smiths in the centre of Bolton has one class 47. Seemed complete and undamaged, but not my bag so it was still there when I left. I am, however, interested in Locomotion and wondering what model they copied for it. Was there an Airfix kit in the right scale once upon a time?

• RMweb Premium

I am, however, interested in Locomotion and wondering what model they copied for it. Was there an Airfix kit in the right scale once upon a time?

This question has exercised minds and memories on here for some time Jenny and the only definitive answer so far is "Nobody Knows"

Best speculation is that it has been scaled down from Bachmann's 'O' gauge production in pewter.

I can certainly say I've never seen or heard of an Airfix or Kitmaster 'OO' kit of Locomotion and I was an avid builder(?) of the Airfix

railway models at the height of their popularity during my misspent youth.

The GBL production could ironically prove to be a first in 1:76, even if it can't be described as RTR.

Mine will possibly find a place on a plinth on a platform, reminiscent of the times when 'LOCOMOTION' stood on Darlington Bank Top Station in the company of 'DERWENT' IIRC.

Can you tell I'm looking forward to this one?

Regards,

John

Edit for 'case' correction

Edited by Brit70053
  • Like 2

So, the locomotion set will definitely be 1:76 scale? Is that right? Or, is it speculation? :(

It's the only GBL model where "authentic OO scalee model" is not written on the magazine cover which indicates a no but to do anything bigger would require completely new packaging so my guess is it's an approximation of 1:76

Edit to get my GBL quote right

Also just thinking, if it is an approximation it won't be any worse than those copied from bad base models like the Brit or Light Pacifics

Edited by WD0-6-0

I wasn't really aware of this series but noticed the 47 in Smiths in Exmouth and initially dismissed it but ended up buying one. As I have a static train at the back of Peafore Yard as part of the backscene and the 47 could fulfil the role of train engine rather than one of my working locos so it will be secured permanently to the layout reusing the plinth screws and holes. It will get a respray and light detailing to bring it up to a reasonable standard so I am v happy with my find.

Just be aware that the chassis is metal and the wheels are not insulated. It the track you are putting it on is live it will cause a short.

Took time off from the DIY this afternoon to nip into Warminster to see if issue 40 was in yet.  This normally reliable branch has not yet had stocks of this issue, so the helpful assistant looked it up on their computer system.  She showed me the screens, which indicated that issue 40 was due out today (31 Aug), so she expected it would be delivered tomorrow due to the Bank Holiday.

Issue 41 was shown as due on the 9th September  and issue 42(?)  on the 16th September at a price of £ 6.30 instead of the usual £8.99.

No idea what that means.

Looks like I will have to make another trip tomorrow.

• RMweb Premium

So, the locomotion set will definitely be 1:76 scale? Is that right? Or, is it speculation?   :(

Like everything about this forthcoming model, pure speculation. You'll notice I did say "could prove to be a first in 1:76".

No guarantees at all.

Cheers,

John

Edit for punctuation - why's numberlock 'On' not the default setting on this keyboard?

Edited by Brit70053

Just be aware that the chassis is metal and the wheels are not insulated. It the track you are putting it on is live it will cause a short.

Thanks Darrel, that portion of track is not live but thanks for the heads up.

checked my local WHS and they said they have only been getting one copy each fortnight and one person always buys it.They did not think no 40 had come in yet, but deliveries normally on Tuesdays. Asda still had none. It did not look like their 'part work' shelf had been restocked with anything recently.