Great British Locomotives

EddieB

We've been told by Amercom it finishes at 41, Locomotion, on September 16th.

The 16th now?  It was the 9th a few days ago!

Oh well.

*sigh*

As for the run length, I'm surprised that ithe series has gone on for so long, with reasonably wide availibility, to this point.  Most "partworks" move to a subscription only/definite preorder basis very rapidly and disappear the shelves, never to be seen again.  Its amazing that we can still go into many branches of WHSmith/Asda/Sainsburys and independent newsagents and just pick up a copy on spec. One wonders what demographic the buyers inhabit?  Are we "collectors" who want a range of models to display, do we want spares for other projects, seekers of replacement bodies for damaged locos, or modellers looking for subjects for weathering and detailing? Whoever we are, we've obviously made it worthwile for Amercom to keep publishing for this long! However, I suspect that the ratio of sales/returns has now slumped below the profitibility point and that IF the series makes a return in a couple of years time, the last 7 models will make an early appearance.

But its been (mostly) good while it lasted!

• Like 1

Hi all,

I would keep a close eye on Amercoms website. They released a series called Combat Tanks a couple of years ago. Now all the tanks they produce did not make it into the series and it stopped at issue 120. They about 6 months later released a magazine which is still going called Military Vehicles which is a mixture of the already released and the ones not released in the origional series.They also released a series called Combat Aircraft in which they releases 63 of the then current 68 aircraft they had on their list.

So chances are they may still make the unreleased engines, But you will have to get them direct from Amercom.

The reason I know this is that I have all the tanks and aircraft.

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As for the run length, I'm surprised that ithe series has gone on for so long, with reasonably wide availibility, to this point.  Most "partworks" move to a subscription only/definite preorder basis very rapidly and disappear the shelves, never to be seen again.  Its amazing that we can still go into many branches of WHSmith/Asda/Sainsburys and independent newsagents and just pick up a copy on spec. One wonders what demographic the buyers 

For the "build an xxx in 40 monthly installments" type of partwork then it's fairly clear why they quickly go subscription only. Not much point buying a bit of the QE2 when you don't have the 29 earlier bits.

But there must be other partworks where you can pick and choose. Do these also generally go subscription only after a few issues?

Hi Coryton

They did go subscription for both the Combat tanks and Fighter Aircraft magazines and their helicopter magazine and I also think the Military vehicles magazine I mentioned earlier is now subscription only.But as said you can buy them directly from Amercom as well. So there will be loads of available spares.

Edited by cypherman

• RMweb Premium

It's always useful to have the Dapol model as a point of reference. I still need to fill in above the buffer beam at this end.attachicon.gifIMG_20150628_193855_1435516828476.jpg

I think it might be easier to start flattening the roof cowls before attacking the roof cover panels. The b'stard file has been working overtime on this model more than any other.

I'm still marvelling at how Lima spent a considerable sum of money getting it wrong, when they could have spent a similar sum to produce something essentially right. Thing is, it doesn't take that long to spot where the mistakes are, and none - so far - are impossible to rectify.

A little off-topic, but I hope you'll all forgive me...

My view of what a Western should look like is mostly formed by the old Lima model I had as a child. Despite the fact that they are one of my favourite locomotive classes, I think I've only seen a real one once, and that was about 20 years ago. 

Yesterday, while on the West Somerset Railway. I had a chance to have a good look at their Western while our train was waiting to pass one heading the other way. The front of their Western looked all wrong...the roof above the windows wasn't the right shape at all!

Now I can see what people are complaining about with the Lima/GBL model (though from my point of view the model is fine and the real thing needs some surgery to make it look right...)

• Like 2

Guest spet0114

A little off-topic, but I hope you'll all forgive me...

My view of what a Western should look like is mostly formed by the old Lima model I had as a child. Despite the fact that they are one of my favourite locomotive classes, I think I've only seen a real one once, and that was about 20 years ago. 

Yesterday, while on the West Somerset Railway. I had a chance to have a good look at their Western while our train was waiting to pass one heading the other way. The front of their Western looked all wrong...the roof above the windows wasn't the right shape at all!

Now I can see what people are complaining about with the Lima/GBL model (though from my point of view the model is fine and the real thing needs some surgery to make it look right...)

For the same reason, I've been campaigning for years to get the Deltic Preservation Society to reduce the size of the bogies on all their locos by about 12%....

• Like 1

... keep a close eye on Amercoms website. They released a series called Combat Tanks a couple of years ago. Now all the tanks they produce did not make it into the series and it stopped at issue 120. They about 6 months later released a magazine which is still going called Military Vehicles which is a mixture of the already released and the ones not released in the original series.They also released a series called Combat Aircraft in which they releases 63 of the then current 68 aircraft they had on their list.

So chances are they may still make the unreleased engines, But you will have to get them direct from Amercom....

So, crystal ball on, just let it stabilise, ah, here comes a clear image: -  

and the series will be called 'Railway Traction'. Just to add a little excitement it will include the LMS Beyer-Garratt, GNR Ivatt large atlantic, GWR 72xx, SR N class, and BR's F-C 9F. ;-)

More seriously, haven't they got the GBL series currently on distribution in Australia, from a start about a year delayed from  the UK series?

... I have all the tanks and aircraft.

Just so long as there is no Amercom series titled 'All the World's nerve agents and other chemical weapons' , is it safe to assume you won't be rolling over any national boundaries?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

After all, there are far more models, so the prototype must be wrong...........

Exactly.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees it that way!

I did read a fascinating account once of the modification of a full-size EMU coach to replace a collision-damaged coach of a similar but not identical class. 

The discussion of modifying various components to make them correct was familiar, but the first time I'd seen it done in 1:1 scale.

Wish I could remember when and where this was supposed to have happened...

• Like 3

Hi all.

I've been a lurker on this thread for a while now but I thought I'd join in.

Having bought every issue containing LMR-region BR-liveried locos in order to populate sheds/sidings, I decided to bring the LMS 8F into the same period (my first time re-numbering a model!)...

post-25291-0-24026500-1441655536_thumb.jpg

post-25291-0-95942700-1441655551_thumb.jpg

Rob

• Like 13

... More seriously, haven't they got the GBL series currently on distribution in Australia, from a start about a year delayed from  the UK series?

Yep; they are currently anticipating issue 28, The Royal Scot, according to the Australian branch of their website: http://greatbritishlocomotive.co.uk/_aus/?page_id=16

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Stupid question time, for the Australian market why did they not do a great Australian locomotives series?

Market might be a bit on the limited side.

Maybe they will do a cr&p British locomotives series with class 15, 17, 28, 31 .......

31?

I'll give you classes 15, 17 and 28.

Had the 31's stayed as class 30's then you have a point but I would say they did pretty well for themselves once re-engined.

It was tounge in cheek I could also have added class 21 and baby Deltics.

The 31s were poor when built and have always seemed to me to be underpowered. That said there are still a few out on the mainline at there grand old age which is pretty good going. Those English Electric engines were built to last (except for the ones in baby Deltics) class 20s and 37s going strong and class 08s. (08s should have qualified for a great British locomotive model)