Great British Locomotives

EddieB

• RMweb Gold

I relieved sainsburys in nantwich of one earlier, i must admit i'm quite tempted to subscribe to this part work, why i dont know, what i'd do with the models i also dont know but it certainly looks a far more 'useful' collection of models compared to the tat given away with hachette model village partwork

On the Hornby model the loco chimney now is a seperate molding to allow all varations of chimney on an a4 to be modelled

which this part work issue has a fixed double chimney.

Either there are two different castings out there, or you might want to look at that chimney again ;)

Jon

I couldn't agree more.

I'm actually finding it rather hilarious to note some of the posted criticisms... it was only £2.99!!!

There is nothing wrong with looking at the product in question objectively and seeing if it has value for one's own modelling. Please don't turn what has been a rather productive and constructive discussion into yet another "them and us" squabble about the rights and wrongs of constructive criticism. Besides, I haven't exactly seen anyone doing anything other than working out what can be re-used from dismantling one. No complaints in four pages as far as I can see.

On a different and more "constructive" note, I've been having a lot of fun with my first A4 body shell today. The tender and locomotive are being modified, ready for new handrails, new buffers on the locomotive along with lamp irons, rivets, and new, more heavy duty attachment points for fitting to the Bachmann chassis I have chosen to work on.

post-1656-0-94631500-1393179449.jpg

post-1656-0-67450400-1393179458.jpg

post-1656-0-58175600-1393179469.jpg

post-1656-0-61907200-1393179479.jpg

Overall it's made a nice project and when in grey primer I will get some footage of it running on a friend's layout, or a test track I will set up for myself. I can say this categorically, the Bachmann A4 chassis under this body shell looks rather better than I anticipated. We'll get to the painting and weathering stage before I make a full judgment on it though.

• Like 3

True. Cheap is obviously not cheap enough... I've already had one "Indecipherable/Unsure of Meaning" to Post #80 from someone that must obviously expect perfection at pocket money prices!

I shall quietly withdraw and smirk in the corner but I am looking forward to seeing what people can do with these. At this price, the potential is there to create something to be very proud of.

Perhaps most people are not talking about the price  :O , but about what modelling actually needs to be done to achieve a good model. It will then be on par with the Hornby version. :locomotive: :locomotive:

This very cheap A4 is a excellent source of spares. I have just started a makeover on one Tender. Picture(s) in due course.

• Like 1

Here is My mallard, For a long time i have wanted a wartime A4. now is my chance. :)

My first repaint and so far i'm happy with it.

Got one more coat to add after.

(Edited to add extra image).

Jamie 

post-18951-0-22136100-1393180662.jpg

post-18951-0-54851100-1393180951_thumb.jpg

Edited by jamie.dunn
  • Like 3

I've already had one "Indecipherable/Unsure of Meaning" to Post #80 from someone that must obviously expect perfection at pocket money prices!

You've got two now. Mine was because I'm struggling to see where there's any actual criticism, as opposed to pointers to which model it might be a copy of, and identification of some bits which might need attention to make a runner.

• Like 2

Some of the last two posts seems aimed at me, sorry the  the wheels are rubbish . They have a poor shape covered in casting faults and a very short stub axle, where have you ever seen Loco sheds with wheels on stub axles  on show ?? handy for a scrapyard perhaps. If anybody wants two sets let me know.

At no point was the this price related, I was informing people not expect something that could be made to work in it supplied condition.

Pretty obvious the Loco at £3 is a bargain and that doesnt even need mentioning or is relevant to the discussion .

Re the W1 conversion have a look at my modelling thread there is a build thereon.

Thankyou for confirming just what I said.

I doubt wether many people looking at the loco would be under a false impression about its capabilities - especially if they are an active modeller and if anyone seriously thought they were getting a motorised model for that price or even one with a working chass - well I'd better not comment on that.

As to you comments on the wheels firstly they look very close to the decent wheels on the high spec. Hornby model - they could if necessary and quite easily be tidied up between the spokes for use as a scenic item and as for the axles - all I will say is a little bit of simple but real modelling with a bit of brass rod or tube or even a bit of plastic sprue and a drill bit will produce results.

Again you have illustrated my point about people critisising something that is a bargain price starting point rather than considering its possibilities.

I'm sorry to say I wont be looking at your thread as I CAN do things for myself (having asked something to clarify something).

Perhaps I could ask you just what you expected for the cost of this model - a full set of Markits wheels perhaps.

I think there is no doubt that most MODELLERS have seen this model for what it is and then looked at what possibilities it offers including the other important points I raised.

I think you've missed the point of Mick's posts. It's an appraisal of what the actual model can be used for - and yes, I agree with Mick entirely, for modellers - that's what we are, after all - the wheels are rubbish. Surplus to requirements, not necessary, fit only for the bin or a scrap scene. It is an ex-parrot! Mick's post was not denigrating the model, its price, or anyone looking at using it but was simply an exercise in appraising the model prior to using it for something constructive. 

Nothing more, nothing less, and to keep arguing that somehow Mick has offended someone somewhere by branding some wheels rubbish (these being the first thing a modeller will put into the bin with these, if the intention is to do some modelling with them) is daft, as is the idea that Mick or anyone else appraising these body shells for modelling was expecting something motorised for £2.99.

I fear by not looking at Mick's thread you are missing out on a valuable resource, particularly where ECML modelling and repainting is concerned.

I bought one on a whim, having had nothing to do with railways for several decades - I'm not a 'runner', but I would like a static collection. Here I have one, cheaper than Dapol! I want a Castle (and possibly a Star conversion), some Southern, Locomotion and Rocket (especially if the latter two come with rolling stock) so I've subscribed, at least for the first six months. No idea where I'll put them all. I've subscribed because stationers will usually only hold the first three or four issues.

I suspect I'll get some extras for having fun with, and I'll do some detailing (though to my eye with the A4 that is minimal). I'd quite like an A4 in black, or Darlington green with the squared -off smokebox paint.

One thing I did find when I took mine off the silly plastic stand - it looks so much better on a length of track - was that the right side motion is all out of shape, so there may be some hot water work required there.

They are what they are, for me (and I think I may well be the target market) they are a great find, especially at the price.

• Like 1

Last few Decembers Aldi or was it Lidl (I always get those two mixed up) have had a very large display cabinet for models, it was about £60. It's an excellent way of displaying models. I have noticed a couple of people saying they don't know what they will do with all these locos if they subscribe to the series. I think they will look fantastic in one of these cases. I will have to buy another case in December.

I am looking forward to issue 2 I am very impressed with these models even at the full price of £8.99 I think they are a bargain. Ok so they are static but I plan to put them in my display case so it won't worry me. They also look much better than the old Hornby A4 from the 80s

I'm interested in the conversions other people are doing to them, some nice work there. 

Thankyou for confirming just what I said.

I doubt wether many people looking at the loco would be under a false impression about its capabilities - especially if they are an active modeller and if anyone seriously thought they were getting a motorised model for that price or even one with a working chass - well I'd better not comment on that.

As to you comments on the wheels firstly they look very close to the decent wheels on the high spec. Hornby model - they could if necessary and quite easily be tidied up between the spokes for use as a scenic item and as for the axles - all I will say is a little bit of simple but real modelling with a bit of brass rod or tube or even a bit of plastic sprue and a drill bit will produce results.

Again you have illustrated my point about people critisising something that is a bargain price starting point rather than considering its possibilities.

I'm sorry to say I wont be looking at your thread as I CAN do things for myself (having asked something to clarify something).

Perhaps I could ask you just what you expected for the cost of this model - a full set of Markits wheels perhaps.

I think there is no doubt that most MODELLERS have seen this model for what it is and then looked at what possibilities it offers including the other important points I raised.

I look forward to seeing your conversion of the wheels . 

For everybodies info,

I have taken the Loco chassis apart the Drivers are not as I thought on small stub axles. They are attached to a cast ladder hence that is where the weight of the Loco is coming from. Bogie wheels are again as on the Tender stub axles.

Bought a pair in Stevenage this morning. WHS had a chest-high stack of shipping cartons yet to get through. I may help a bit more.

The magazine itself is rather more adult in its treatment of the subject than I had expected, and is strangely anonymous, apart from the

illustration credits.

I pondered, if the manufacturer is in Europe, and feeling pleased (chuffed even) with their efforts, whether they might bid for Hornby's

business in bringing production closer to home? Love to be a fly on the wall during that sales pitch!

I further pondered how far down the proposed list they have committed to cutting metal. There's one or two included which risk being

duds if they continue to be based too closely on existing RTR. I'm thinking V2 and Deltic in particular.

But, what if they were receptive to help from some of RMWeb's researchers? 'Twould be gobsmacking if they out-did the big boys!

The Nim.

• RMweb Gold

'Twould be gobsmacking if they out-did the big boys!

The Nim.

Hope they do do a Big Boy.   Can we have it numbered 4014 please.

Jamie

just wondering when could the Big Boy's ever be under the Tital Great British Locomotives? 

Edited by farren

• RMweb Premium

just wondering when could the Big Boy's ever be under the Tital Great British Locomotives? 

That's nitpicking after all the Yanks won the war single handed as Hollywood tells us and they are always re=writing History.

Jamie

• Like 2

'Twould be gobsmacking if they out-did the big boys!

The Nim.

Hope they do do a Big Boy.   Can we have it numbered 4014 please.

Jamie

Revell do one - You do have to put it together, but it is a 'shake the box' kit at around £25 when I saw it last. It's not particularly cheap, but you do get a lot of locomotive for your money.

http://www.revell.com/germany/other/80-2165.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Revell-Big-Boy-Locomotive-scale/dp/B0000WPADK

Edited by Il Grifone

It would be interesting to see how many of these are snapped up to populate shed scenes and the like.some place where detail won't matter because people are too interested in what's whizz ing by on the main line :). Something to make up the numbers in a nice cheap fashion :)

Just a thought...