Big jim's (now dismantled) 12 x 6 shed layout

big jim

• RMweb Gold

ive not done anything with the layout for a long time, other than it being used as a test track for the yellow stock ive been modifying ive not touched it track or scenery wise

as it happens ive had a ppi payment come through which hopefully will enable me to get my garage converted into a 'playroom', im waiting on prices for the work that needs doing and if its within my price range then il basically be ripping this layout up, salvaging the trackwork (maybe bits of baseboard) and turning the shed into storage for lawn mower, bikes etc and ill build a new layout in the garage.

a rough measure earlier showed it should have around 12 x 14 ft footprint as opposed to the current 12 x 6 set up, the floor plan i have for the garage involves a 12 x 4ft wide 'utility room' / workbench area at the front of the building to house our deep freeze and tumble drier on one side and the likes of my 3D printer, solder station, paint booth etc on the other side, the current up and over door will be removed and replaced by a single upvc door and window set up, internally there would be a single door through to the layout area which already has a upvc double glazed window fitted

as i say im waiting on quotes, first up is a new flat roof as whether or not i carry on with the conversion masterplan that needs replacing anyway as our temporary fix from 10 years back is now starting to deteriorate, ive been in touch with the planning department who have advised me what forms i need to fill in and how to go about getting building regs sorted as it would now be a 'habitable room' as opposed to a storage facility

lets see what the next few weeks bring regards the way forward before i close this thread down as the layout is dismantled, it may prove too expensive to carry on with the full conversion and ill crack on with this layout

im hoping i can start afresh as i have a few ideas for a new layout floating round my head, im liking the idea of a peninsula board coming out at an angle from one of the longer walls, track wise a simple 2 track mainline again with shallow inclines, (figure of 8 set up again maybe), decent size station on one side again but im now seeing a branch line meandering off it and dropping away to a slightly lower level baseboard area with a simple 'modern day' basic terminus station, however im also seeing a bit of 009 sneaking in from there as a tourist railway as ive got a quarry hunslet 'Alice' on order!

the beauty of having the extra room should mean i could put a 3rd/4th radius helix in and have storage below scenic board height for complete trains to save having to incorporate a 'scenic' yard, i would of course have have TMD on there though

lets keep our fingers crossed i can get the garage done

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Did it myself, went onto Martin Lewis money saving expert site and used something called resolvr that once you register you just choose who you think you have PPI with and it sends an automatic email to the organisation requesting info, I did loads which came back as no PPI but NatWest had 4 with it, they wrote to me, I filled out the claim form they sent back and got my money back, started doing it first week in December and got paid out this week straight back into my account

No middleman or anything so no fees

• Like 5

Great idea Jim,

If it's any use to you I'm currently (still) converting my 16'x9' garage. I've split mine into a train room 12'9' and store 4'x9'. For the train room, plasterboarded all walls, put a stud wall up with a door and added a new ceiling with spot lights and it's cost me less than 400 quid. I've had to do most of it myself in between working away hence why it's taken so long, but it could be done in a few weeks if I'd been able to.

Good luck with it, sounds great!

John

When I did mine in my previous abode, I put down 2 inch thick Polystyrene on the Floor, then a layer of 3/4 Chipboard to stop cold coming up under the feet, I then bought a remnant of Lino for a clean flat floor. In my current shed I also have the Halfords interlocking rubber mats down the centre walkway.

Hope that helps and all the best with the changes.

• Like 2

Hello Jim. I had our integral garage converted at our old house for a kids playroom and cost around £6000 to take off the garage door and brick it up but putting in a large window as it was at the front of the house. Then studding out the walls, kingspan insulation and plastering all walls. Making a false floor to raise height of garage floor to same height as house floors as you stepped down into garage. Then adding extra sockets and electric heater.

Good luck with it all and which ever way it pans out for you look forward to either seeing you build a new layout or seeing this one continue.

Edited by Powerhaul 70 Pey
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Submitted an application to the planning dept of the council for a change of use and building regs inspection etc, just got to pay them to come and get me up to speed on what needs inspecting etc

Quotes coming in for the garage roof too, next up Plasterers’ although the guy coming Sunday to quote me can do the lot, roof and plasterboard the interior

Regards the door/window I have spotted on ebay an unused/unfitted set of bifold doors that were ordered the wrong size and happen to be 1cm narrower than my garage door hole, a bit shorter but it’s been suggested I could put a box section lintle above and infill with wood and facia board up to the roof level, I’ve got a feeling the cost of the bifold doors won’t be that far off the cost of a upvc door and window with the associated boxing out or bricking up the current hole to suit

If I did go down that route the door is in the right side for the ‘utility’ room entrance and should I happen to be using the mini paint booth or want to use thebworkbench in a warm day I could open the whole front of the building up

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well it looks like the above plan is going ahead but not as quick as i hoped, the roofer is booked and the bi-fold doors have been delivered tonat least get the garage conversion started once the weather improves but the internals such as the lining out/ insulation and plasterboarding will have to wait a bit longer as the money I put aside for that has gone on a ‘new’ car instead

Layout wise that means that this layout will stop being worked on any more but at the moment it won’t be dismantled so I can still play trains for a good while and use the shed as a workspace etc, once the garage is complete then the layout will be dismantled and I will start in something new but realistically I can’t see that happening for a good 6 to 9 months yet

When I do get round to it I have an available space of 12 x 13 ft at my disposal

• Like 6

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well that’s it, final closure orders delivered today, all stock moved and track lifted, boards removed on one side, this layout is an ex layout!

5BC3F560-C30D-4718-B18E-5D49443F9320.jpg

And now I have a shed, still the other side to remove, I’m going to keep 6ft of the baseboard at the rear of the shed to act as a table 

1AA35378-B56A-43D7-A620-2739F71FEBAC.jpg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hello Jim I'm Just going through a similar process my self.  My new laser cut Base boards are built attached to one another with the plan [full size] on top to spot-mark where the control arms are required for point operation.

Happy times.

Watching your progress with interest.

Best

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Barnaby said:

Hello Jim I'm Just going through a similar process my self.  My new laser cut Base boards are built attached to one another with the plan [full size] on top to spot-mark where the control arms are required for point operation.

Happy times.

Watching your progress with interest.

Best

The only progress you will see on this thread is the layout getting smaller! 

Keep an eye on the garage conversion thread I’ve got going for any layout building that will go on