Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Model of the Year 2012 - the results

post-1-0-45066400-1358771811.gif

Model of the Year 2012: The Results

Each year Model Rail magazine, RMweb and MREmag join forces to ask modellers to vote for their favourite models of the preceding 12 months. The results of the latest poll, are published today.

In another busy year for new British ready-to-run models in the three major scales, Bachmann Europe emerged as the clear winner, sweeping the board in ‘N’ gauge, winning all but one of the ‘OO’ categories and scooping the overall Manufacturer of the Year award with almost 60% of the vote.

Dapol marked its first venture into ‘O’ gauge modelling with an award for its new coal wagons and Ixion’s brave venture into RTR ‘O’ gauge industrial locomotives was acknowledged too. A delighted Chris Klein of Ixion Model Railways said: “Lindsay, Phil and I are thrilled with the award and thank everyone who voted for us. We wanted to produce a high quality, economically priced model that would attract people to the joys of ‘O’ Gauge and judging by the Hudswell Clarke’s ubiquity at exhibitions and this award, we believe we have achieved our aim."

Dapol’s Dave Jones added: “We are delighted to have won for our ‘O’ gauge wagons, and to be named ‘O’ gauge manufacturer of the year. Although we’re disappointed with our ‘N’ and ‘OO’ gauge showing, we congratulate Bachmann on well earned awards in both ‘N’ and ‘OO’ gauge for its wonderful ‘Blue Pullman’ models.”

Hornby claimed just one prize – for its popular Maunsell pull-push coaches – in a category it dominated once again in 2012. Marketing Manager Simon Kohler said: “This is excellent news. Clearly we have much to do in the other categories but I’d like to thank all those who voted for our products in all of the categories. It really is appreciated by all at Hornby.”

As predicted, Bachmann’s ‘Midland Pullman’ DEMUs in ‘N’ and ‘OO’ won their categories by a landslide, but the company’s ‘OO’ gauge Wainwright ‘C’ Class 0-6-0 was perhaps a surprise winner in front of Hornby’s LNER ‘B17’. The success of Bachmann’s Class 85 electric ahead of the Hornby Class 67 was also unexpected. Both claimed almost double the vote of their nearest challengers.

In ‘N’ gauge, the Graham Farish ‘WD 2-8-0, new Class 20, SR ‘Pillbox’ brake van and LMS Inspection Saloons proved particularly popular with voters, and the brake van was also a strong winner for Bachmann Europe in the ‘OO’ wagon section.

The company’s European Sales & Marketing Manager David Haarhaus said: “We are highly delighted to receive these awards from our loyal customers. The whole team at Bachmann Europe Plc would like to say thank you to everybody who voted for our models. To be pronounced overall manufacturer of the year for a fifth year in succession is a great honour.”

Model Rail editor Ben Jones added: “Congratulations to all our winners. There are worthy victors in every category, but the quality of many models that didn’t win is testament to the high standards now being achieved by all our RTR manufacturers.”

MotY1.jpg

MotY2.jpg

MotY3.jpg

The Bachmann BR SR pillbox brake fills a huge gap for SR modellers that was last filled by the Hornby Dublo SR brake and later by the Ks kit in the 1950s. I was also pleased to see that Bachmann produced models of the Blue Pullman in N and 00 gauges in response to huge public demand despite fears of poor sales due to limited period of operation. Similarly Hornby's gamble to produce a Maunsell Pull-Push paid off despite the prototypes only being in use for a short period and in limited locations. Producing excellent coaches is Hornby's strong point. Modelling the Swanage Railway I was looking forward to buying one in the first quarter of 2012 as there were four or five in use on the branch line at the same time. Unfortunately 12 months later I have still been unable to obtain one and I look forward to purchasing the next two versions when they appear, hopefully, later this year. The Dapol 0 gauge models are welcome for people starting in 0 gauge which has made a come back recently.

The results are a real pat on the back for Bachmann and Graham Farish - well done! Of course while we applaud the manufacturers we should also remember the elves who put the MOTY vote together for us in the first place! Many thanks to all those involved, it's nice to be able to support the manufacturers in this way as well as just buying their products. I would have liked to have voted for Hornby's Maunsel push pull set but was not able to obtain one, (but I did get hold of a Thompson brake coach - which I did vote for) so I'm looking forward to buying a set in the Summer.

Very impressed with Dave Jones acknowledgement of Graham Farish, it was very professional - personally I'm very pleased with my Dapol class 121 and 122 DMU's (and again my voting choices reflected this) and look forward to Dapol's other releases in N.

In deed I'm looking forward to quite a lot of new releases from all the manufacturers, in N and OO, and long may it last!

Linners

• RMweb Gold

It's very interesting that despite some strong contenders overall Hornby were only (just) in third place behind Dapol while Bachmann are clearly doing something right to manage a string of successes over several years.  Maybe this poll is contributing far more to the raising of standards in r-t-r than the numbers voting would suggest with - to my way of thinking - the manufacturers offering innovation and consistently high standards of prototype fidelity coming out on top.

Hornby have a well deserved consolation prize in the shape of the 00 gauge Coaching Stock section and it might possibly indicate to them what one section of their market is after although it is questionable if it will influence their future strategy.  Anyway, congratulations to all the winners  and keep up the good work chaps.

When I talk to friends and customers who in the past built loco kits or had loco kits built for them,  Bachmann is their first choice in the belief this company makes scale models.

Hornby now has a good presence in coaching stock (but needs to tackle its lack of supply problems). However, if Hornby is low in the polls at this stage of the game, goodness knows where its gamble with moulded handrails will take it. Surely they will have to change course long before next years poll....

Disappointed with the turn out of votes for the Thompson O1. For all Hornby's known supply problems, that particular model was an absolute sparkling gem last year, and I challenge the "true" model of the year (despite the agreed excellence of the Bachmann C Class, I feel the O1 just pips it in quality). I've never had a model which performed as flawlessly nor looked as "right" out of the box as the O1. The thing which probably let it down was the type of smokebox door. Used on too few examples of class O1 to renumber without replacing it altogether.

The rest of the poll more or less follows as I felt it would, although the surprise for me is Dapol's strong showing in the manufacturer of the year O gauge category ahead of Heljan. Was this down to the four wheeled wagons on their own? We've not as yet seen their O gauge locomotives, whereas Heljan and Ixion both had strong O gauge showings over the last year.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting just how far behind Hornby are in the OO manufacturer results. Shame that Dapol are as far back as they are, but I think that will change in future years. Bachmann are to my mind getting pretty much 'everything' right for the modeller, while Hornby seem to be floundering about as they worry about producing toys rather than models. It's also interesting just how far down in 'our' estimation Heljan are. Both the 'H' companies seem to have some sock pulling up to do.

I found it a little difficult to vote (00 section) because in terms of the quality of the candidate items I had purchased, there was no way of differentiating them. Take your pick of any of three or four, all of them worthy to be winners.

If we are exercised about possible retreat in standards of new productions, the survey could be revised to include ratings of the candidate items, as an addition to the 'first past the post' vote that we currently use. I am thinking of a fairly coarse rating scale: 'Spot on/Good/Average/Disappointing' style. That means that the survey stays fully compatible with past results, but supplies more information. At the cost of extra work the survey team, to whom thanks for this year's effort.

Andy,

Any ideas why voter turn out was a bit down (26%) this year?

I found that the most surprising result of all.

The relative magnitudes of the voter source seems to be comparable year over year.

Personally, I was less familiar with many of the items up for consideration this year. I still participated - I just ignored questions where I didn't have enough awareness to pick a favourite.

Hopefully the manufacturers find this feedback valuable. I believe that consumer feedback like the MOTY award is an important contribution we can all make.

Andy,

Any ideas why voter turn out was a bit down (26%) this year?

I found that the most surprising result of all.

No specific ideas (considering site usage is up massively on a year ago) although I think it was 'collectively' pushed a little less this year and maybe the forthcoming wishlist poll will tell me more about my personal thoughts on whether people are just happy to let the manufacturers lead the flow (not that they ever haven't) rather than individuals feeling they have to have a say.

• RMweb Gold

I don't think Hornby have much to be concerned over with good placings, just not the top spot. If they weren't in the top 5 then it would be different, likewise for Dapol.

The BP was bound to do well as it was not only a spot on model but had built up it's own almost mythilogical fan base due to the it won't ever happen ;)

I think it shows the big four are doing well and I'm delighted to see Ixion pull off a well deserved win in the O catergory just showing you don't have to be (relatively) big to suceed.

What a field to participate in though, making the top spot all the more pleasing because of what they edged out.

The BP was bound to do well as it was not only a spot on model but had built up it's own almost mythilogical fan base due to the it won't ever happen ;)

I think the Midland Pullman was recognized more because it is an excellent model than any B*** P****** froth factor.

• RMweb Gold

I think the Midland Pullman was recognized more because it is an excellent model than any B*** P****** froth factor.

Hence the spot on model ref ;) but I chose it partly because of rewarding the risk they took which meant that I was sorely tempted despite it not fitting any of my collections. If it had come down to a 50:50 choice between that and the next model that would have swayed me to vote for the BP first. I vote to reward the model and the development effort behind it and I believe here the BP scores well on both counts for going beyond the average model. There's not many models that create such a stir and headlines.

Nice to see special commisions also making the top 5 with good support.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Just wanted to say thanks on behalf of the NGS to all those who voted for the NGS/Farish LMS Inspection Saloon giving it the top spot in the N-gauge coaching stock section.

Although voting figures are down, we are very pleased that the model has been recognised in this way.

Much of the credit must go to Bachmann's Colin Allbright, well known for his expertise in the LMS and its rolling stock, for the excellent job he did on this model.  The NGS is also very grateful to members who supported the project with pre-orders and subsequent purchases.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

I don't think Hornby have much to be concerned over with good placings, just not the top spot. If they weren't in the top 5 then it would be different, likewise for Dapol.

I think it shows the big four are doing well and I'm delighted to see Ixion pull off a well deserved win in the O catergory just showing you don't have to be (relatively) big to suceed.

What a field to participate in though, making the top spot all the more pleasing because of what they edged out.

Really? Hornby down at 21% compared to Bachmann's 58% doesn't look so good to me. The manufacturer polls give an indication of how each manufacturer sits in the estimation of the voters. Now while Hornby certainly don't only see the likes of the modellers on RMweb as their only source of a 'satisfaction index', it surely must be of some concern to them? They have in the past (up until 'Design Clever' anyway) proven they can produce good models to good standards, certainly on a par with anything Bachmann can do. So they really should be level pegging with Bachmann, not some 40 points behind. I really do hope, somehow, that Hornby finds the will to be a modellers manufacturer again. I may seem to 'bash' them at the moment, but it's only because I want them back in the decent models game alongside Bachmann and Dapol.

Would the fact the class 85 won suggest that someone must be buying them? Would like Bachmann to announce if the experiment to produce AC electric models was a success or not. No reply to my email asking that very question. But well done Bachmann you deserve all the plaudits coming your way!

Cheers

Mark

• RMweb Premium

I think Hornby's situation may be even worse than these results suggest.   There must be others like me who usually vote for Bachmann, but actually voted for Hornby this year in recognition of the superb ex-LNER locos and coaches they came up with in the relevant twelve months.  

I think Hornby's situation may be even worse than these results suggest.

I think all the manufacturers, not just Hornby, may consider their sales figures as a better indication of the situation than figures in an on line poll.

Archived