Level crossing stupidity...

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

Hi Jim,

Why? Most folks can cope with more than one set of units. Everyone knows what a 6ft fence post looks like, why try to specify it in mm?

cheers,

Martin.

Because that's what building supllies are done in.

Fence posts come in increments of metres, if somebody is supplying you with a six foot one it's because it's actually 1.8m

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Compound2632 said:

Again, lack of new on-topic material is a Good Thing.

Is that a Metric material or a Imperial material?

• Funny 5

9 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

Hi Jim,

Why? Most folks can cope with more than one set of units. Everyone knows what a 6ft fence post looks like, why try to specify it in mm?

It feels good to retain a link with the past and use the traditional units. Some of them are very sensible, derived from centuries of practical use. For example UK shoe sizes are still based on a 1 barleycorn difference between each full size. A barleycorn is 1/3rd of an inch.

cheers,

Martin.

Until today I had no real nidea what a Barleycorn was, my only prior knowledge of the word being the Traffic song 'John Barleycorn must die'. Thanks Martin !

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, caradoc said:

Until today I had no real nidea what a Barleycorn was, my only prior knowledge of the word being the Traffic song 'John Barleycorn must die'. Thanks Martin !

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 15/04/2019 at 14:49, kevinlms said:

Both signs apply ONLY to unfitted trains. How often does the Festiniog Railway run unfitted trains? Not very often, I suspect. Infrequent enough for drivers to be especially reminded in some way, BEFORE they head off, with such a train?

Unfitted trains are still a regular occurrence on the Festiniog, all the heritage freight stock is unfitted and until recently most of the stock used for infrastructure work.   The PW dept's main loco (Harlech Castle, the loco involved in the incident) was not vac fitted until an overhaul this winter and as the PW train is out on the line for inspections and maintenance almost every day that would give an indication of how familiar crews would be at working unfitted trains. 

There are some unfitted trains that you don't want to come to a halt above the crossing except in the case of the gates being closed, so a controlled approach and the ability to either stop or continue rolling past the sign is appropriate - the Festiniog is unique in running demonstration gravity slate trains and these are run alongside the rest of the normal services on the line particularly at special events.   There are specific local instructions for running these trains, so the issue with the incident is more a matter of non-compliance with operating procedures than an issue with the signs themselves.

Martin 

Edited by mcowgill
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Porkscratching said:

Sorry but I think and work in imperial, the trouble with metric is you soon end up with crazy unwieldy numbers, its a bit like a quid equals 85597.4 lira or something, a daft example but you see what I mean.

As for us changing to driving on the 'wrong' side of the road...how many people do you want to kill and injure..?  You might have just about got away with that up until the early 70s perhaps.

I don't get your comment about unwieldy numbers using the metric system, unless your exactly converting an imperial measurement into metrics - such as a foot represents 304 point whatever millimetres.

Changing side of the road for driving, is obviously far too late - same of course for Australia, New Zealand and other places, especially island nations.

Sweden did it years ago and it made 100% sense for them and obviously it wasn't an EU Directive!

• Like 1

On 16/04/2019 at 11:49, martin_wynne said:

Much needed in the UK too -- see: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-47851582

Martin.

Most single carriageway roads in Scotland have very large white direction arrows painted on the road, specifically for tourists.  The black BMW in the clip had just passed one.  Tourist probably too busy either watching the scenery or racing to their destination.  

ps my family was nearly taken out by a tourist in identical circumstances.

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

I don't get your comment about unwieldy numbers using the metric system, unless your exactly converting an imperial measurement into metrics - such as a foot represents 304 point whatever millimetres.

Well I've worked on numerous jobs, fitting and welding, with quite large components, where the dimensions were all in MM... resulting in some crazy numbers, just my experience in real life...

For anything I do that is set out by me, I use imperial, because to ME it works better...

Doubtless many of you know only metric...bon appetit.;)

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

The primary advantage of metric IMO isn't so much the "10 of this, 10 of that part" but that derived units are derived pretty much directly, no conversion factors, even if that sometimes results in rather oversized units like farads. You could argue that the prefixes are a conversion factor rather than a notational shorthand, which weakens it slightly. The other advantage is that it doesn't suffer from different groups using different definitions of the same unit - easier to standardise with a complete change. Still see it as mostly change for the sake of it though - would choose it starting from scratch but I'm not going to make any effort to stop thinking in miles and will resist any attempt to make me do so.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Porkscratching said:

Well I've worked on numerous jobs, fitting and welding, with quite large components, where the dimensions were all in MM... resulting in some crazy numbers, just my experience in real life...

For anything I do that is set out by me, I use imperial, because to ME it works better...

Doubtless many of you know only metric...bon appetit.;)

Agreed .......... a MkIII coach is 22150mm over headstocks ( http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/Diagram_Book_200_for_issue.pdf ) that's an unwieldy number !

Is it actually built to the exact millimetre anyway? - the diagram doesn't specify the temperature at which it should be measured.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Porkscratching said:

I agree. The metric system is based on decimals, and very prone to errors caused by getting decimal points in the wrong place. The imperial system is based on fractions, not decimals, and much better suited to everyday life where fractions are everywhere.

1/3rd of a foot? easy. 1/4 of a yard? easy. 6 eggs in a box, or 5? no brainer.

Martin.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

30 minutes ago, Wickham Green said:

Agreed .......... a MkIII coach is 22150mm over headstocks that's an unwieldy number 

Or 22.15m not so unwieldy. Or 24yds 0ft 10 1/2ins (approx)... Give me decimals over fractions any day ;)

Edited by Hobby
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

The people who keep calling for further metrification never seem that bothered by 60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour, 24 hours in a day, 7 days in a week, differing numbers of days in a month, 12 months in a year...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Reorte said:

The people who keep calling for further metrification never seem that bothered by 60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour, 24 hours in a day, 7 days in a week, differing numbers of days in a month, 12 months in a year...

Why not go further PI should be 3,2 none of this 3.1426.... rubbish. Indiana state was almost bold enough to do it http://mentalfloss.com/article/30214/new-math-time-indiana-tried-change-pi-32 

Edited by Vistisen
  • Like 1