Level crossing stupidity...

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Which Foolscap, Which Legal? Even these could vary.

e.g. Foolscap can be 13.5" x 17", legal can be 8.5" x 14", hardly a "standard"!

I didn't say it was a standard, and I didn't mention Legal.

But all the time I used foolscap it was 13" x 8". I've still got a large stock of foolscap duplicator paper, which all measures 13" x 8".

It was a light-hearted comment, but as usual on RMweb, there is always someone wanting to take everything seriously.

Martin.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Martyn

The link you posted says Legal Foolscap and again It wasn't serious just pointing out the ridiculous situation of non metric materials, where the same name could mean more than one thing, agreed some were more rigorously defined in BS.

Legal paper was always AFAIK longer than traditional foolscap so I assume the legal profession have now changed to normal foolscap

(Why if they changed did they not go metric?)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, melmerby said:

pointing out the ridiculous situation of non metric materials, where the same name could mean more than one thing

Hi Keith,

I don't think it meant more than one thing in the UK at the time it was being used. The problem is that since the old names have fallen out of use, folks have got them muddled up.

The common 13" x 8" size from schooldays is called plain Foolscap.

The larger 13.5" x 8.5" size is called Foolscap Folio. I don't remember ever seeing any.

More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_size#Traditional_British_paper_sizes

cheers,

Martin.

• Informative/Useful 1

@Reorte

Um, no ................ A0 paper measures 841 x 1189mm. B0 paper does have one side that measures 1.0m but the other is square root of 2m (can't do the symbol,

sorry) which is 1.414m (approx).

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Philou said:

@Reorte

Um, no ................ A0 paper measures 841 x 1189mm. B0 paper does have one side that measures 1.0m but the other is square root of 2m (can't do the symbol,

sorry) which is 1.414m (approx).

Cheers,

Philip

Mr Reorte is correct

A0 x 0.5 = A1, A1 x 0.5 = A2 etc.

B0, B1, B2  (& C0, C1, C2 ) etc. are different series but employ the same rule e.g fold long side in half

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

@Reorte @melmerby

Aha ...... my stupid. I mis-read 1 sq. m as 1 m. sq. which is not the same thing at all. Sorry.

(Wish I'd gone to Specsavers BEFORE replying :) )

Cheers,

Philip

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Philou said:

is square root of 2m (can't do the symbol, sorry)

You can write a square root as ^0.5

i.e.  4^0.5 = 2

The ^ is Shift-6 key.

This topic is famous across RMweb for being more off-topic than on. Have we finished driving on the right? :)

Martin.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

@martin_wynne

Pffff ............. Shift-6! I has a proppa keyboard, I has. ^ no shift needed as it's one of the symbols the 'continentals' use for accents and is a lower case key on mine. Had I known, I could have used that instead - something I shall remember, so thanks for that. (But I found this √ too ;)).

Cheers,

Philip

PS: Just to be OT, there's a level crossing over which I go regularly, that is decidedly not at all level!

Edited by Philou
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

And if the think this section of RMWeb goes off-piste then you have never visited Castle Aching.

Of course, the Americans have a completely different set of "Imperial" - ie non-metric - paper sizes. Oddly, one current popular format for railway books in the UK is an American size, though we usually define it in millimetres.

And there are about 2500 characters and symbols available if you use the "Insert symbol" function. Is that enough?

Jonathan

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

You can write a square root as ^0.5

i.e.  4^0.5 = 2

The ^ is Shift-6 key.

This topic is famous across RMweb for being more off-topic than on. Have we finished driving on the right? :)

Martin.

As a change of topic within this thread, can we discuss changing light bulbs..?

Oh, er, hang on...........

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

3 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

Of course, the Americans have a completely different set of "Imperial" - ie non-metric - paper sizes.

Jonathan

Indeed. Flexagons were discovered as the result of a British student at Princeton University having to cut down American paper to make it fit his British folder!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1