Level crossing stupidity...

On 19/04/2019 at 10:02, Compound2632 said:

BSP parallel and tapered, according to application.

The old BSPT and BSPP threads have been incorporated into BS EN standards. I couldn't tell you which without a bit of research, since it's three years since I finished.

• Like 1

On 15/04/2019 at 20:42, eastglosmog said:

The Irish have recently managed to convert from miles and mph to km and kph on all their roads, without catastrophe, so it is perfectly possible.

On 16/04/2019 at 11:18, Wickham Green said:

It's quite surprising where you'll find multilingual  'DRIVE ON THE LEFT' signs in Ireland - even the opposite side of the country from any ferry port !

On 16/04/2019 at 12:45, Vistisen said:

As a Brit living in Denmark, I have tried all four combinations of LHD/RHD and driving on Left and right sides of roads. It really isn't that hard, at least not on roads them selves. It tends to be public but not road areas, like carparks and petrol stations where there  are often assumed rights of way that are deeply ingrained into the habits of the local drivers that are not indicated by road markings. Another slight tricky area is when getting to the end of a one way street, where one might be correctly driving on the 'wrong' side of the road, when turing out of such a street I really do have to think about which side of the road I should turn on to. Mind you I have  seen Brits driving in Denmark getting confused by the wide cycle lanes and thinking that they are on a dual carriageway!

I’ve also been through all four combinations, as well as some countries where the correct side of the road appears negotiable.  The greatest risk is returning to a “normal” carriageway after an interruption - pulling out from a side way, or leaving a single track road and where there is no traffic (we all tend to follow the vehicle in front, where there is one). So not as daft as it sounds to remind motorists in far-flung corners.

Confusion came recently when I was given a ROI-registered car by a hire company in Belfast. The car (and its SatNav) were metric, but what about the road signs? Having not been to Ulster for many years, I had no immediate recollection of whether they’d changed to be compatible with the Republic.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, EddieB said:

I had no immediate recollection of whether they’d changed to be compatible with the Republic.

No reason why they would, they are still part of the UK so comply with our regulations, not that of a foreign country. ;)

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Hobby said:

No reason why they would, they are still part of the UK so comply with our regulations, not that of a foreign country. ;)

But not very foreign, the natives are notoriously friendly. See if you can spot the baseboard joint:

https://goo.gl/maps/K47qzJMfZYaY19YS8

Has anyone told the DUP that Northern Ireland uses a different track gauge from the rest of the UK? smile.gif

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I was issued a British registered Renault at Heathrow with a speedo in kilometers... Interesting with all those speed cameras on the m25.

I've also had a snowdrop (aka RAF policeman)  try to charge me with driving on the wrong side of the road... 

It was a one way street and I was about to turn right... 

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

I once was stopped by a policeman who wanted to stop me from going down my driveway 100 meters from where there was about to be a cycle race.  I told him that he was a) stupid, and b) Had parked his car illegally  less than 10m from a junction which is an offence, as it really did block the view for turning traffic, AND the sign warning about the road being closed for a cycle race. He started writing a ticket, so I took a few photos of his car and then he decided "to let it go this once"

Edited by Vistisen
  • Like 4
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Catkins said:

Can we please get back on topic of talking about Imperial -v- Metric.

Oops, Wrong self-righteous police hat on.

:rolleyes:

• Funny 5

1 hour ago, jim.snowdon said:

And that it was imposed on them by the English....

Jim

At this point I'd love to wax upon the Cong Canal, surveyed by the English, and built on a bed of porous limestone in County Galway - but I'm afraid the accounts that mock its construction don't hold water.  A bit like the canal itself...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

11 hours ago, 62613 said:

The old BSPT and BSPP threads have been incorporated into BS EN standards. I couldn't tell you which without a bit of research, since it's three years since I finished.

Believe it or not, there is even a DIN standard for the same thread.

Did you ever try to find any 1/4" dimension at a G1/4" thread?

(maybe it's because I can't figure out how to use my caliper for fractional dimensions)

Michael

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 62613 said:

As were the BA threads, which had metric origins anyway.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

I notice a 80km/h sign as you enter the ROI but not a corresponding 50mph on the way back!:scratchhead:

Perhaps it is the national limit on the UK side? So it should be the black diagonal bar on white sign? Presumably on the back of the ROI 80km/h sign -- I'm sure they wouldn't mind sharing their post. :)

Martin.

• Like 1

On 16/04/2019 at 22:18, Wickham Green said:

It's quite surprising where you'll find multilingual  'DRIVE ON THE LEFT' signs in Ireland - even the opposite side of the country from any ferry port !

A higher proportion of non-UK visitors to Ireland are more likely to arrive by air and hire a car than by ferry from Great Britain or France.

There are direct flights from North America to Shannon Airport and  flights from Europe to Shannon and regional airports in the South & West

Being faced with a narrow twisting Irish road can be challenging enough for someone arriving off a long haul flight without having to adjust to driving on the "wrong side" of the road!

Those DRIVE ON THE LEFT road signs and rental car dash board stickers may save lives.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Damo666 said:

Can we please get back on topic of talking about Imperial -v- Metric.

Oops, Wrong self-righteous police hat on.

:rolleyes:

A couple of snippets. The US military and other institutions such as NASA use the metric system and nothing else. They also use GMT wherever in the world they are.  The Irish broad gauge of 5' 3" translates exactly to 1600 millimetres, a nice round figure. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Porkscratching said:

Ah, yes but it's well known they use Alien technology..:D

Seeing how much conspiracy theories are a fact of American life, I would not be surprised to read that a significant proportion of Americans, believe that is where the metric system came from!

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, michl080 said:

Believe it or not, there is even a DIN standard for the same thread.

Did you ever try to find any 1/4" dimension at a G1/4" thread?

(maybe it's because I can't figure out how to use my caliper for fractional dimensions)

Michael

I think DIN standards have pretty well been incorporated as Euronorms as well now, haven't they?

I just drew them, by the way, and the only time I ever really saw a G1/4" fitting was on distribution blocks for control air, for attaching the flexible tube to the valve controller. Even 1/2" was usually site run after the first fitting.

Edited by 62613
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, 62613 said:

I just drew them, by the way, and the only time I ever really saw a G1/4" fitting was on distribution blocks for control air, for attaching the flexible tube to the valve controller.

I like the G - threads, because they belong to the very few threads that are known in continental Europe, the UK, in Asia and even in the USA. I use them commonly at my job because of that. It is virtually impossible to get NPT threads components in Europe and likewise metric threads in the USA (impossible means at a decent price :-)

no level crossing incidents arising?

Michael

• Like 1