Level crossing stupidity...

• RMweb Premium

These are all examples of "customary units". It's not important - in fact undesirable - that there should be a metric equivalent. The two examples given are units of length; what is important is that their relationship to the SI base unit of length is defined, so that someone unfamiliar with the customary unit can still understand the measurement.

Do gnats have whiskers?

• Like 2

On 22/04/2019 at 00:39, RJS1977 said:

If so, that's only a recent development. A few years ago NASA lost a Mars probe as a result of one shift working in metric and the other in imperial!

It was 20 years ago, and it was a contractor who used the wrong units, not "different shifts":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Climate_Orbiter#Cause_of_failure

...one piece of ground software supplied by Lockheed Martin produced results in a United States customary unit, contrary to its Software Interface Specification (SIS), while a second system, supplied by NASA, expected those results to be in SI units, in accordance with the SIS.

So as far back as 1999 NASA was using metric, expected their contractors to do the same, and stated as such in the specification for the software being provided by the contractor concerned.

To its credit, NASA did not place the blame on Lockheed Martin: "The problem here was not the error; it was the failure of NASA's systems engineering, and the checks and balances in our processes, to detect the error. That's why we lost the spacecraft."

EDIT: Although NASA didn't actually go fully metric until 2007: https://www.space.com/3332-nasa-finally-metric.html.  The ISS (the first component of which was launched in to orbit in 1998) still uses a mixture of metric and imperial.

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Porkscratching said:

Ok what about a metric 'fag paper'...?

Cigarette paper is a very convenient source of 2 thou shim, for example when setting the height of a lathe tool on centre.

So the metric equivalent = 0.002" x 25.4 = 0.05mm in round figures.

Martin.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

These are all examples of "customary units". It's not important - in fact undesirable - that there should be a metric equivalent.

Except when modelling in most common British model railway scales! ;)

Back on subject, how did it take several hours to shift it? Just get a long rope and a large truck and drag the thing off...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Back on subject, how did it take several hours to shift it? Just get a long rope and a large truck and drag the thing off...

Probably took minutes to shift it - but hours to get agreement on how to do it. A Land Rover with a winch would be enough.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

It becomes a "crime scene" and then nothing can happen until the crime team has examined every inch of the surroundings for evidence. Presumably in this case empty bottles with fingerprints!

In the "old days" it would have been off the line in ten minutes of being discovered. OK, slight exaggeration.

Jonathan

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hobby said:

Except when modelling in most common British model railway scales! ;)

Oh not anyone can shift it, you'll have to find qualified people who can work under wires with authorised approved equipment, and a risk assessment written up first..

Yes I could have nipped under there with the landrover and towed it off in seconds.. But they would have arrested me if I tried..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Probably took minutes to shift it - but hours to get agreement on how to do it. A Land Rover with a winch would be enough.

10 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Oh not anyone can shift it, you'll have to find qualified people who can work under wires with authorised approved equipment, and a risk assessment written up first..

Yes I could have nipped under there with the landrover and towed it off in seconds.. But they would have arrested me if I tried..

What could have caused delay was the driver claimed the car had been stolen. It was quickly proven that he had been behind the wheel (CCTV?) so all he did was to make the charge sheet longer.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

It becomes a "crime scene" and then nothing can happen until the crime team has examined every inch of the surroundings for evidence. Presumably in this case empty bottles with fingerprints!

In the "old days" it would have been off the line in ten minutes of being discovered. OK, slight exaggeration.

Jonathan

And in the "old days" someone would have sorted out single line working through Grays station, where the Down platform is rather handily signalled for up working, until a line blockage could be arranged to get the offending vehicle towed back to the crossing.

Jim

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Surely some common sense should come into the equation. For a fatality I can understand a delay, but even then it's not more than a couple of hours or so (most of the time)... But for a stolen/dumped vehicle it should be cleared much quicker... The world's gone mad if we are causing line closures for this sort of thing. Use gloves and close the door and drag the thing out of the way, do the dusting for prints when it's safely out of the way and the line is open...

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Grovenor said:

It happened quite some time ago, roughly when common sense was abolished.

rgds

They do the same on  roads even major ones like motorways you find the  casualty clearance was hours ago, but the road remains closed for hours for"police investigations"

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, TheQ said:

They do the same on  roads even major ones like motorways you find the  casualty clearance was hours ago, but the road remains closed for hours for"police investigations"

thereby greatly increasing the risk of accidents elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Wickham Green said:

RUBBISH ! ................................. that's Irish Standard Gauge you're talking about.

1600mm at 1:50 scale would allow Irish models to use 32mm track, i.e. O gauge wheels, axles, etc. I wonder if anyone has done this.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

1600mm at 1:50 scale would allow Irish models to use 32mm track, i.e. O gauge wheels, axles, etc. I wonder if anyone has done this.

James Boyd used 6mm/ft, which is 1:50.8

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_I._C._Boyd

5ft-3in at 6mm/ft = 31.5mm exactly = 0-MF.

Martin.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Wickham Green said:

RUBBISH ! ................................. that's Irish Standard Gauge you're talking about.

Or Broad Gauge lines in Victoria & South Australia!

• Like 1