Level crossing stupidity...

The propeller at the other end can be even more dangerous - us kids were told to steer well clear of all such beasts (and also not stray over level crossings when the lights were going for the same reason - you were never going to win the contest).

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

All the above and much more will come into play (and much more) on Saturday when our 100 sailing boats set sail on the 3 Rivers Race, confusing the hell out of the tourists who've never read the navigation rules and are only interested in getting to the next pub.

I've now got a picture in my mind of lots of hire boats not knowing what to to herding all the sail boats towards the next pub! :lol:

Edited by Hobby
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TheQ said:

The world regulations for sailing motor vessels are the same, however on the Norfolk Broads, even though we are legally an arm of the sea our regulations are in the odd case different.  

BUT, using our regulations wording.

Responsibilities Between Vessels
(b) The master of a sailing vessel underway shall keep his vessel out of the way of:

(i) a vessel not under command;

(ii) a vessel restricted in its ability to manoeuvre;

(iii) a quanted vessel.

(c) (i) The master of a vessel other than a vessel not under command or a vessel restricted in its ability to manoeuvre shall, if the circumstances of the case admit, avoid his vessel impeding the safe passage of a vessel constrained by its draught, exhibiting the signal in Byelaw 39.

(ii) The master of a vessel constrained by its draught shall navigate his vessel with particular caution having full regard to that constraint.

And:

image.png.c05e2491c9478dacafc90c21a7a5ba7e.png

So make sure you take your tape measure with you...

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hobby said:

I've now got a picture in my mind of lots of hire boats not knowing what to to herding all the sail boats towards the next pub! :lol:

During regatta week 3rd to the 9th August this year , I will be running a rescue boat, I doubt I'll be doing much rescuing, what I will be doing is herding cats.. all the tourists mostly in day boats along the bank, who haven't a clue.

As for commercial power craft over 15M that would be covered by 10 (ii) vessels restricted in their ability to manouver.

On the northern rivers there are no commercial vessels of that size except for Broads tours and the Fake paddle steamer Southern Comfort.  (which is moored next to the club) So we only have to avoid 4 of those, I think the BA dredger and wherries are below 50ft.

Oh and trawlers are definately not allowed on the broads..(not to work anyway)

Those commercial vessels generally give both the 3 Rivers Race and Regatta week a miss.. Southern Comfort will go out but normally leaving and returning between races..

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

How about a vehicle barrier down the centre of the last 200yds on roads approaching a Railway Crossing, with half-barriers?  Combined with screens which prevent the warnng lights being visible until well into the portion of road with the separating barrier.

Regards

Julian

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

How about a vehicle barrier down the centre of the last 200yds on roads approaching a Railway Crossing, with half-barriers?  Combined with screens which prevent the warnng lights being visible until well into the portion of road with the separating barrier.

Regards

Julian

Exactly (and something I have advocated for a long time). It is about thinking of a level crossing as a system, not just the bit where the railway crosses the highway.

Jim

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

Regards

Julian

This might work in some locations but certainly not all. The crossing that I commented on a couple of weeks ago (Gwinner road) could look like an ideal candidate for this, but introducing a barrier in the middle of the road would prevent vehicle access to several properties without doing a U turn beyond the barrier, possibly okay for cars (not a safe prospect however) but impossible for the HGV and farm traffic using one entrance. This is possibly a more unusual rural location but I can also think of many urban crossings that have roads joining the crossing road within a very short distance of the rail crossing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

53 minutes ago, jim.snowdon said:

Exactly (and something I have advocated for a long time). It is about thinking of a level crossing as a system, not just the bit where the railway crosses the highway.

Jim

This has been done in several cases in France. Either the two sides of the road are separated by a raised kerb, or the area between them is excavated out, then backfilled with fine gravel, like that used in escape routes on steep hills.

This should link to a Google view of a crossing near our vines in Beaujolais, which uses the raised kerb, at least on one side:- https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@45.9231482,4.5625037,3a,75y,90h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sXlIinSAjukIrDkX-wy7uKQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en-GB  Though the road is only a Departmental, it carries quite a lot of traffic, either locals travelling to Lyon or HGVs carrying timber from local forests.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Well let's get back on dry land and on topic.   

It is reported in the Railway Herald  that the Mercedes driver who decided to have an argument with the Y15 on the NNR has been fined £1180 and ordered to pay costs of £85. 

Apologies if this has been noted earlier in this thread but there is too much froth to search through to check whether or not it has already been announced.

Malcolm

• Like 5

2 hours ago, dunwurken said:

Well let's get back on dry land and on topic.   

It is reported in the Railway Herald  that the Mercedes driver who decided to have an argument with the Y15 on the NNR has been fined £1180 and ordered to pay costs of £85. 

Apologies if this has been noted earlier in this thread but there is too much froth to search through to check whether or not it has already been announced.

Malcolm

And a hefty increase in his insurance premiums too, I hope!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 30/05/2019 at 09:08, Hobby said:

Ah - reminds me of summer weekends at university, taking a flotilla of sailing dinghies up Oulton Dyke and along the Waveney to the pub - used to have much fun with the holidaymakers and it certainly honed your judgement of when to tack/gybe.

Remember one bloke watched us so intently that he completely missed the bend in the river with much crunching of boat and bank!

Martin 

Edited by mcowgill
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, 96701 said:

I've just read the last few posts and thought that I was in Wheeltappers. I had actually forgotten I was in a level crossing thread.:help::offtopic:

Keeps us occupied until the next level crossing incident....

• Agree 4

On 30/05/2019 at 17:16, Fat Controller said:

This has been done in several cases in France. Either the two sides of the road are separated by a raised kerb, or the area between them is excavated out, then backfilled with fine gravel, like that used in escape routes on steep hills.

This should link to a Google view of a crossing near our vines in Beaujolais, which uses the raised kerb, at least on one side:- https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@45.9231482,4.5625037,3a,75y,90h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sXlIinSAjukIrDkX-wy7uKQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en-GB  Though the road is only a Departmental, it carries quite a lot of traffic, either locals travelling to Lyon or HGVs carrying timber from local forests.

The level crossing where the Cholsey & Wallingford Railway crosses the Wallingford bypass is laid out in a similar fashion.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

On 29/05/2019 at 19:04, eastglosmog said:

As the saying goes, here lies the body of Harold Day, who insisted on his right of way.  When I learnt to sail on Southampton Water, steam (and diesel) had right of way as you did not argue with Cunard's Queens or Esso's oil tankers (not if you wanted to stay alive, anyway).

That's because sail does not have right of way over powered craft in defined shipping channels.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1