Level crossing stupidity...

5 minutes ago, meil said:

That's because sail does not have right of way over powered craft in defined shipping channels.

Not quite - commercial powered craft had right of way over pleasure sail but someone mucking about in his motor boat did not.  Generally was based on ability to maneuver, which large vessels coming up Southampton Water did not have.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

The level crossing where the Cholsey & Wallingford Railway crosses the Wallingford bypass is laid out in a similar fashion.

But the islands are comparatively short although they are preceded by double white lines and road 'hatching markings.  Probably because it also has a very high road traffic approach speed (National Speed Limit) on what is in any respects a very fast road.  And of course the crossing wasbuilt into a brand new road so somebody applied some commonsense right from the off.

1876179540_wallingfordxing.jpg.2bd0eec880c17b0c4e12c1e1103f48cf.jpg

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

The level crossing where the Cholsey & Wallingford Railway crosses the Wallingford bypass is laid out in a similar fashion.

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

But the islands are comparatively short although they are preceded by double white lines and road 'hatching markings.  Probably because it also has a very high road traffic approach speed (National Speed Limit) on what is in any respects a very fast road.  And of course the crossing wasbuilt into a brand new road so somebody applied some commonsense right from the off.

A similar arrangement is envisaged on the A23 when the Kent and East Sussex extends to Robertsbridge. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

To my mind, common sense would decree having another set of traffic lights well back from there...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 01/06/2019 at 15:44, melmerby said:

5 horns on that.

So they can play communist anthems as it runs through the countryside?:jester:

Trump that with this one, it even includes a level crossing......

IMG_0139.JPG.23f077394bbbe7fd6cca83f522f09260.JPG

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Porkscratching said:

ps..I hope you weren't being stupid on that level crossing...;)

Well I saw some deer being rather stupid in front of the train further down that hill bu they weren't using level crossings.

I did see an alpaca using a foot crossing though.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Porkscratching said:

Ahh..but what tune do the air horns play...?

ps..I hope you weren't being stupid on that level crossing...;)

They were American so they just Trump'd, loudly altogether...

The wildfowl were wandering too, there was this peacock, sort of wearing a form of hi-vis

IMG_0107.JPG.5ca9e0a3d8f257c86fa5af98c537d0b1.JPG

But this one was Rhea-lly stupid in camouflage......

IMG_9935.JPG.cf1ae8129a0353cba660b60b766e8b49.JPG

Edited by Davexoc
spelling..
  • Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Davexoc said:

They were American so they just Trump'd, loudly altogether...

The wildfowl were wandering too, there was this peacock, sort of wearing a form of hi-vis

Where's that groan button when you really need it?

• Agree 4
  • Funny 2

On 02/06/2019 at 21:53, Davexoc said:

IMG_9935.JPG.cf1ae8129a0353cba660b60b766e8b49.JPG

Excuse me being pedantic, but that’s an emu, neither a rhea nor an e.m.u. (I hasten to add)...

Besides, wouldn’t a rhea (greater or lesser/Darwin’s) be expected to carry a red light?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, EddieB said:

Excuse me being pedantic, but that’s an emu, neither a rhea nor an e.m.u. (I hasten to add)...

Besides, wouldn’t a rhea (greater or lesser/Darwin’s) be expected to carry a red light?

No, you just need to show a red light to it.

• Like 1

My wife has decided I might like to go on a continental river cruise so I thought I would undertake a little research.  I was watching the attached video when the narrator mentions a train wreck.  That woke me up!    Just go to 13.17min into the video, I don't think it has been on here before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cLeOSceVT0&app=desktop

Malcolm

Edited by dunwurken
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, dunwurken said:

My wife has decided I might like to go on a continental river cruise so I thought I would undertake a little research.  I was watching the attached video when the narrator mentions a train wreck.  That woke me up!    Just go to 13.17min into the video, I don't think it has been on here before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cLeOSceVT0&app=desktop

Malcolm

Pretty sure we've had that level crossing incident before.

Interesting seeing the bridge of the boat going down and up though - I've seen river boats that looked as if they were designed to do that but haven't seen it actually happen.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1