Level crossing stupidity...

7 minutes ago, rab said:

Runners/joggers are second only to cyclists

for ignoring rules of the road, other users etc.

Ok, I'm generalizing i know but there are 

offenders in both groups.

If it's any consolation, many cyclists act without consideration towards other cyclists too. It's not 'cos they're cyclists, it's' cos they're self-centred gits who happen to cycle. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 8

1 minute ago, Hobby said:

Concentrating on getting from A to B as quickly as possible and hang the rest of us, plenty of motorists as well...

True, but the worst offenders I come across are weekend leisure riders on the cycle trail I use to commute to work. I've started to lose count of the number I've encountered on Saturday and Sunday mornings (I work weekends) , oncoming two abreast on narrow sections, who appear to expect me to become one with a rock wall, or levitate off the side of a steep embankment so as to make way for them. You'd think that there'd be less pressure on a recreational ride, but apparently that's not the case. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

49 minutes ago, PatB said:

True, but the worst offenders I come across are weekend leisure riders on the cycle trail I use to commute to work. I've started to lose count of the number I've encountered on Saturday and Sunday mornings (I work weekends) , oncoming two abreast on narrow sections, who appear to expect me to become one with a rock wall, or levitate off the side of a steep embankment so as to make way for them. You'd think that there'd be less pressure on a recreational ride, but apparently that's not the case. 

In two weeks I have found one who cant stop at Traffic Lights and another who does not know how to give way at a roundabout but this was a normal day!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PatB said:

Worst I had was two cyclists in a Country Park, I was on the footpath/cyclepath (the paths are used as both) and they were cycling abreast. They gave me three choices, stay where I was and get hit, dive into a bed of nettles or jump in the lake. No contest, I stayed where I was going as close to the edge as I dared and one of them ended up on the floor having caught me with the end of her handlebars ...

• Like 6

Golf umbrellas make very useful additions to a walkers wardrobe, just be careful you don't have it open at their head height or catch the metal tip in their spokes    :devil:  .  Even worse is to inconsiderately hold said article of apparel horizontally (see knights of old jousting) in your hand closer to the cyclists  :sorry: .  Of course the reverse happens when the cyclists need umbrellas to keep them dry.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, rab said:

There are offenders in ALL groups of road users.

• Agree 10

3 hours ago, rab said:

And motorists are second to none in the number of men, women and children they kill and maim every single day.

• Agree 4

26 minutes ago, caradoc said:

And motorists are second to none in the number of men, women and children they kill and maim every single day.

The only time I have had to jump into a hedge was due to a motorist coming round a bend too fast. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Going back to the Bagult crossing incident, I noticed that the signaller at the work station had previously worked two mechanical boxes in NORFOLK!

If a train crew is supposed to have route knowledge, would it be an idea for the signallers responsible for a route to also study, and sign for, the route knowledge?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Catkins said:

Going back to the Bagult crossing incident, I noticed that the signaller at the work station had previously worked two mechanical boxes in NORFOLK!

If a train crew is supposed to have route knowledge, would it be an idea for the signallers responsible for a route to also study, and sign for, the route knowledge?

for a time on the manchester area we did just that signalers would be issued with a cab pass and spend a day running over various routes associated with theyre box quite enjoyed my various cab rides over the hope valley when i signed Newmills south jn 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Catkins said:

Maybe not sign for route knowledge to the same level as Drivers, but Signallers must certainly know the areas they control, and cab rides should form part of that (and the inevitable conversations and sharing of knowledge between Drivers and Signallers  are a Good Thing too). In the same way, Drivers should be invited to visit the signalboxes controlling the routes they work over.

(There were certainly regular visits by Drivers to Control during my time there, which were a benefit to both parties).

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

I'm not sure if it did, they had to cut the roof off and it is shown on its side in one early photo, the top of the roof looks pretty much in tact as well, without any scrapes. Looks like it was deflect onto its side by the impact.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Hobby said:

I'm not sure if it did, they had to cut the roof off and it is shown on its side in one early photo, the top of the roof looks pretty much in tact as well, without any scrapes. Looks like it was deflect onto its side by the impact.

Says so here, so it must be true.  I did not read the linked article above, huge great cookie box.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

They like cutting the roof off cars even when its not needed, a couple of years back they put a casualty in the back of a brand new police car... because he then complained of neck ache they cut the roof off..

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jim.snowdon said:

Yet another car driver learns the hard way not to ignore red traffic lights. 

Jim

Most of the problem on Melbourne's vast tram network, is other vehicles turning. Only 3% of incidents are attributed to tram drivers.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/caught-on-camera-tram-and-car-crashes-20190812-5fiyc.html

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dhjgreen said:

Says so here, so it must be true.  I did not read the linked article above, huge great cookie box.

Bear in mind "overturned" means: "tip (something) over so that it is on its side or upside down"

I suppose we'll never know for sure unless someone comes up with a photo. No point in worrying about it either, as the OP said, you don't argue with a tram!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Bear in mind "overturned" means: "tip (something) over so that it is on its side or upside down"

I suppose we'll never know for sure unless someone comes up with a photo. No point in worrying about it either, as the OP said, you don't argue with a tram!

Melbourne's renowned W Class trams had/have a big steel girder as a bumper bar, nothing touched them!

W8.983.01.jpg

I once saw a car that had just demolished by one. Apparently the hoon driving his V8, had overtaken one on the wrong side of the road. Sadly for him, there was another one coming towards him, so he slammed into it headon. Not a mistake to repeat.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

Most of the problem on Melbourne's vast tram network, is other vehicles turning. Only 3% of incidents are attributed to tram drivers.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/caught-on-camera-tram-and-car-crashes-20190812-5fiyc.html

All those seem to be tram hits car when it should not be there.  Our yellow box road markings are similarly routinely ignored in Manchester.

• Agree 1