Level crossing stupidity...

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, SHMD said:

(Early) Railways don't like inclines.

The incline out of Manchester Victoria, heading east, is 1 in 49 AND IS steep.

If you use this gradient as a minimum and that bridge is raised only 1 foot then you would need just 49 feet either side as minimum banks up and down to the new height. Ok, add a few more feet so that the transitions are smooth and avoid any "grounding" of vehicle underslung equipment, (and some more for smooth riding of the fastest trains), but you are not looking at half a mile each side of the bridge of banking rework.

Kev.

I imagine a typical US freight train may well need a bit more with some being more than two miles long and over 15000 tons.......not exactly an HST or Azuma

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

I imagine a typical US freight train may well need a bit more with some being more than two miles long and over 15000 tons.......not exactly an HST or Azuma

The length and weight of the train is immaterial, it is only the part that is on the up gradient that has to be lifted, and as soon as the front of the train passes over the now raised bridge, the section of train on the down gradient balances the part on the upgrade.

Jim 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

13 minutes ago, jim.snowdon said:

The length and weight of the train is immaterial, it is only the part that is on the up gradient that has to be lifted, and as soon as the front of the train passes over the now raised bridge, the section of train on the down gradient balances the part on the upgrade.

Jim 

In all the film/photos of the bridge that I have seen the trains have been passenger trains.

Edited by PhilJ W

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Wickham Green said:

That's assuming no transition .................. very uncomfortable for the passengers and very likely to ground the centre - sorry center of an 80' car !

I wouldn’t bother.......:lol:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 30/10/2019 at 13:04, talisman56 said:

The commentary on one video said they are raising the 11'8" bridge to the 'same grade' as the neighbouring level crossing, so presumably it means they are levelling out the rail line, with a slightly steeper bit the other side. They've got some scope for doing some road resurfacing now... :devil:

Progress! The bridge has been raised and the first train ran over it!

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

That "ballast regulator" was a new one on me - and what a wonderful job it did.

So, the change in transition is not that far after all.

Kev.

(Are you sure they are "tamping" machines - they are not yellow!)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, SHMD said:

That "ballast regulator" was a new one on me - and what a wonderful job it did.

So, the change in transition is not that far after all.

Kev.

(Are you sure they are "tamping" machines - they are not yellow!)

It looks as if they just put more ballast underneath the track to raise it. 

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

No point doing that as the whole reason for the exercise was to raise the clearance under the bridge.......

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

2 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

No point doing that as the whole reason for the exercise was to raise the clearance under the bridge.......

The track on the bridge itself appeared to not be ballasted, but laid directly on to the  deck. When the deck was raised, the ballast levels on either side would be too low, so more ballast would need to be laid to return it to the correct level. I'm not sure how this volume of ballast would have been laid, but I suspect it would have been dropped on top of the sleepers for the tamper (a tampler and leveller, I believe, as there appeared to be a wagon with a 'target' some distance ahead) to 'shake it down'

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Also in the film was the steel beam protecting the bridge and its replacement. The replacement was almost identical except that the original was bent by an impact which must have been quite severe to bend a 12" I-beam.

• RMweb Premium

Clarifying some of the discussion about who owns what.

The state owned North Carolina Railroad Company owns the track & bridge and leases usage to NS & Amtrak

The City of Durham own the road and have provided all the warning signs, lights, detectors etc.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

The track on the bridge itself appeared to not be ballasted, but laid directly on to the  deck. When the deck was raised, the ballast levels on either side would be too low, so more ballast would need to be laid to return it to the correct level.

Thank you for clarifying.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, duncan said:

Anyone placed a bet on when the first rent a truck hits the raised bridge ?

presumably the 8" is just enough that the majority of the smaller hire box trucks just clears the bridge and it's only going to be the larger stuff that gets caught

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, duncan said:

Anyone placed a bet on when the first rent a truck hits the raised bridge ?

Yes, that was my thought, as the videos previously seen, show that some vehicles didn't 'just hit'!

Edited by kevinlms
  • Agree 1