Level crossing stupidity...

21 hours ago, Hobby said:

Different brain set up. Women's and men's brains work differently for some things as well.

2 Apologies before I go any further:

Apology #1 for going more OT.

Apology #2, this is sent under license of humour and is not representative of my own beliefs, or anyone else's beliefs.

325840559_BrainMale.JPG.5ffd58c96123c60b93ab3d0304534ed3.JPG

1425595492_BrainFemale.JPG.95abde43d540b8ffc0a2f75c5afe6633.JPG

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold

In the days before cockpit visits were banned, I was traveling back from Dublin to Birmingham in a Dash-8 & got invited up front. We were travelling parallel to the North Wales coast & I looked out & said 'isn't that the Great One over there?' The pilot said he didn't know, reached under his seat & took out a GB road atlas, correlated with his position on instruments & agreed I was correct!  :)

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Ramblin Rich said:

In the days before cockpit visits were banned, I was traveling back from Dublin to Birmingham in a Dash-8 & got invited up front. We were travelling parallel to the North Wales coast & I looked out & said 'isn't that the Great One over there?' The pilot said he didn't know, reached under his seat & took out a GB road atlas, correlated with his position on instruments & agreed I was correct!  :)

Well at least in a Dash-8 he could always dip down to 100 feet to read the road signs.........:o

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

I know it’s sounds “grump old git” territory but this was brought home recently upon watching an episode of Eggheads, the visiting team were a team of young TV presenters primarily (no pun intended) from Children’s TV programmes......all of course seemingly well educated and bright, until one of the first questions came up in the “geography” segment, the question was as I recall “where is Dartmoor National Park” there were three options, Devon......Sussex......and somewhere else I cannot remember, let’s say Norfolk.....whatever.....after several tense lip biting minutes the female contestant came up with SUSSEX.......hells bells.....it’s Dartmoor, you were even given an obvious (I thought) choice.......Dartmoor in Sussex? JEEZ......as far as see it these kind of knowledge is really the very basics of living in a country, just knowing where you are and the major areas and cities/towns should be known.

What happens when her flatmate in London says I moving Bangor, and she thinks “oh I’ll pop in to see you most evenings”! :wacko:

Ranting over....and calm.....:lol:

At least they didn't say the Norfolk broads is a national park  which it isn't... 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, johnofwessex said:

One boat hire business based there told me that the had a great deal of trouble with internet searches for 'Broads'...............

I have the same problems when searching for "Models".....................:jester:

• Funny 6

20 years ago I applied for a job on Central and was given a map and asked to put the towns and cities listed in the right places on the map. Needless to say I did, correctly, (they were main towns and cities so relatively easy) but it surprised me just how many other applicants couldn't... Even a basic knowledge of the UK's geography seems limited these days... Though it does depend on your hobby, ours will give you that knowledge and others such as a love of old houses and churches can do the same... Not so sure about shopping, though... :)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

At least the pilot was NOT navigating by the railways, if he was a bit of CPE would be in order  :D

• Like 2

23 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

When I was on Eggheads (broadcast earlier this year but recorded in January 2018 with a condition that I couldn't record anything else before it aired - which meant I had to turn down two invitations to do GMRC!), my friend Das (a lorry driver) got the geography round.

What viewers didn't see (as it was edited down for television) was that not only did he take the round to a tie break, the tie break ran to about 12 questions each, and at one point recording had to be suspended while the production team wrote some more questions!

When I was on Mastermind* and the subject was 'British Railways' they got the question wrong ! - something along the lines of "What was Bulleid's revolutionary bogie steam loco in the sixties ?" ( my italics ).

* brief glimpse on air - I was sat immediately behind the Black Chair !

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

BTW have we taken a wrong turning somewhere or did I pass over the level crossing without noticing?

Jonathan

Drift for this thread is an indication that the stupidity level at level crossings has decreased (i.e. no incidents to discuss).

Which in many ways - is a good thing...…………………..

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 3
  • Agree 12

1 hour ago, newbryford said:

Drift for this thread is an indication that the stupidity level at level crossings has decreased (i.e. no incidents to discuss).

Which in many ways - is a good thing...…………………..

Ah, but is that a reduction in the level of stupidity at level crossings or simply a reduction in the number of level crossings to be stupid at ?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

11 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Except that someone has, apparently, just hit a level crossing barrier in Peterborough, nothing on local news yet though ...

1843584765_ScreenShot2019-11-18at14_02_15.png.1cbb5d23aabfb77a1054b59930b74bcc.png

I am blaming Newbryford, He said how quiet it was on here!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 9

10 hours ago, Wickham Green said:

When I was on Mastermind* and the subject was 'British Railways' they got the question wrong ! - something along the lines of "What was Bulleid's revolutionary bogie steam loco in the sixties ?" ( my italics ).

I noticed an error in a question on University Challenge a while back as well.  The question was along the lines of: what is the name of the the mountain range in Scotland which includes the largest area of ground over 4,000ft in the British Isles, and which is named after its highest peak?"  The answer they were looking for was "The Cairngorms".  The trouble with that is that Cairn Gorm is not the highest peak in the Cairngorms: that honour goes to Ben Macdui - fairly obviously, since it is the second highest mountain in the UK, and everyone knows (don't they?) that Ben Nevis is the highest.

It makes me wonder how many questions in other subject areas that I am not so familiar with aren't quite right.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 17/11/2019 at 11:28, lmsforever said:

Knowing the basics such as where the main cities in the UK are should be a requirement of basic education but sadly its not considered of importance ,but I am of the older generation and received a far more rounded education than today.

I only got to know where places were by having an all Scotland rail rover at 15 followed by an all line railrover the following year. Geography lessons included studying an OD map of Craven Arms and Stokesay with plenty of contours, a few oxbow lakes, a double track and a single track railway.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Its true  people  paper qualifications often have no practical abilities ,back in the sixties a group of us went to France for a fortnights cycle touring .one of our number possessed a high grade in French language.Guess who had to do all the chatting having picked up the language from listening to the radio and reading a cycling magazine from France!

• Like 3

If you want to see some leve; crossing stupidity, take a look at the Big Boy Comeback tour group on Facebook. Stupid Americans standing in the four foot as 500 tons of steam loco and about 1200 tons of passenger train bear down on them. Some have even placed cameras in the four foot and have made last minute adjustments... As for lineside photography, the rule over there seems to be "keep 25' from the track. Some scale it down to one foot to the millimetre. 

Big Boy seems to have the cylinder drain cocks an awful long time when there are people about. :)

Edited by roythebus
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, 96701 said:

I only got to know where places were by having an all Scotland rail rover at 15 followed by an all line railrover the following year. Geography lessons included studying an OD map of Craven Arms and Stokesay with plenty of contours, a few oxbow lakes, a double track and a single track railway.

I remember the Craven Arms map - must have been a favourite with skools at one time ............ and when we had a geography fieldwork trip it was to some place called Bridgnorth that nobody else had heard of ! ( Should be back there Sunday as it happens.)

• Like 2
  • Funny 4