Level crossing stupidity...

On 16/11/2019 at 15:07, Hobby said:

Different brain set up. Women's and men's brains work differently for some things as well.

This guy has a good say on the matter... (the first 7 and a bit minutes are the nitty-gritty)

Edited by talisman56
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, caradoc said:

Hopefully the lorry driver will be identified and duly punished, and he and/or his employer made to foot the bill for the disruption and damage to the railway.

Maybe they've got another camera low enough to read the reg plate otherwise it could be difficult, scruffy looking white unmarked van, lot of them around, probably came off the industrial estate alongside the railway at that point. Caused "travel chaos across the region" according to the Birmingham Mail... The points failure at Snow Hill this morning will certainly have caused problems for many, but this incident? I don't think so. Why can't the Press be a little less dramatic!!

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Agreed mindless parking, but I would have thought the fire appliance has enough tools to 'remove' the vehicle. Possibly in smaller pieces... :diablo_mini:

Sadly, they're not allowed to damage the car. Even the police had to take due care when they had the car removed. Hopefully the driver will have the book thrown at him in court.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Sadly, they're not allowed to damage the car. Even the police had to take due care when they had the car removed. Hopefully the driver will have the book thrown at him in court.

But would it hold true if there was a major emergency, where every appliance was required to attend ASAP?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

A former colleague is married to a divisional fire commander (I'm afraid I'm unsure if correct terminology) who was adamant his crews would remove any vehicles blocking access to an emergency scene. Granted this was several years ago but he was quite robust in this view! I can understand more modern views on property damage but someone who thinks blocking a fire station is a sensible move, just isn't safe to drive.... :mad_mini:

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium

If anyone parks only allowing a small gap and they happen to be within earshot, the phrase:

"If a fire engine can't get through that gap, I hope it's their house on fire" usually works.......

• Like 6
  • Agree 3

One of my mates who was in the Country Fire Service told me, that if a car parks across a fire hydrant access point, they can move  the car & it it gets damaged in the process, the owner misses out - their fault so not covered by insurance. And I agree....

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Sol said:

One of my mates who was in the Country Fire Service told me, that if a car parks across a fire hydrant access point, they can move  the car & it it gets damaged in the process, the owner misses out - their fault so not covered by insurance. And I agree....

There are several pictures online of cars parked blocking fire hydrants (America) and the firemen have simply smashed the windows and routed their hoses through the car, whether it was serious or a set up I dont know but its nice to think its real.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

They should be allowed to move the car and it should be compulsory for them to damage the car in the process, but once again the law protects the guilty!

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

16 minutes ago, royaloak said:

There are several pictures online of cars parked blocking fire hydrants (America) and the firemen have simply smashed the windows and routed their hoses through the car, whether it was serious or a set up I dont know but its nice to think its real.

BMW= Break My Window...

Minf, I often park er, abandon, my car in front of one hydrant.   Not a big issue, I'm the one who will be taking water from it...I'd open my windows !

Captain J. Powell, Shirley VFD

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

When I worked in Northern Ireland Railways, any car parked such that it was blocking access to any aspect of our operations was simply moved out of the way.  We had an insurance policy that covered NIR for any damage that might occur to the car. In my time there we never had to make a claim on the policy.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

5 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

When I worked in Northern Ireland Railways, any car parked such that it was blocking access to any aspect of our operations was simply moved out of the way.  We had an insurance policy that covered NIR for any damage that might occur to the car. In my time there we never had to make a claim on the policy.

Did the same apply to the Weymouth Harbour Tramway, I wonder?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Some of our roads here are 'Tow Away' zones at peak hour.

Come 10 minutes before time, parking inspectors & tilt bed tow trucks are lined up waiting for the clock to tick over.

On time the ticket gets typed & photo taken, while the tow driver is tilting his tray & pulling out the chains.

Doesn't take long at all, until your vehicle is GONE. No messing about moving it!

Expensive to get back.

https://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/parking-and-transport/parking/parking-rules/Pages/towed-impounded-vehicles.aspx

I'm sure they could be easily be convinced to pick up a mere car blocking a fire engine! Money for jam.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, talisman56 said:

Did the same apply to the Weymouth Harbour Tramway, I wonder?

Back in the early '50s when cars were a lot less common it was just regarded as 'unfortunate' if one got in the way according to one of my former staff who was a Shunter at Weymouth back then.  They always gave plenty of warning but cars were sometimes in the way and they were usually moved if possible by railway staff but if there was any damage to railway rolling stock a bill would be sent to the car owner if they could be traced.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Back in the early '50s when cars were a lot less common it was just regarded as 'unfortunate' if one got in the way according to one of my former staff who was a Shunter at Weymouth back then.  They always gave plenty of warning but cars were sometimes in the way and they were usually moved if possible by railway staff but if there was any damage to railway rolling stock a bill would be sent to the car owner if they could be traced.

I'd be more concerned about injuries to railway staff movings cars. 

• Agree 2