Level crossing stupidity...

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Obviously he hadn't notified the control centre, because no sooner had the tow truck cleared the crossing,  then the barriers started coming down.

Not obviously. The train could have already stopped just before the strike in point waiting for clearance to proceed.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Not obviously. The train could have already stopped just before the strike in point waiting for clearance to proceed.

Well, the tow truck company is investigating and know who the driver is.

https://www.news.com.au/national/victoria/news/i-cant-believe-this-shock-as-tow-truck-parks-across-railway/news-story/7372f0b93426cc0cf6556cf45218048f

So we'll have to wait for an answer.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This is a bit frightening, was this covered when it happened (March)?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-essex-50745553/lorry-stuck-on-essex-crossing-barrier-almost-hit-by-train

"The Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) said the lorry was waved over the crossing by a railway worker despite the red lights flashing.

"Simon French, chief inspector of rail accidents, said it was almost a 'disaster', adding that Network Rail and Amey Inabensa had "addressed the factors" to stop it happening again."

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, lmsforever said:

All the people in these vidios have the I am so busy syndrome that affects so many today plus total stupidity that afflicts the population now, they will only learn when they are injured and then will try and sue authority for negligence.

Well they may not be personally able to sue!

I doubt whether that's a thought that occurs to them 'at the time', it's subsequently someone suggests that they sue.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, lmsforever said:

All the people in these vidios have the I am so busy syndrome that affects so many today plus total stupidity that afflicts the population now, they will only learn when they are injured and then will try and sue authority for negligence.

I forget that nobody ever got killed on a level crossing until the last 20 years.

• Agree 1

Of course, how many members of the general public would even have an idea of who to call in such a situation...? I suspect that a 999 call via the police might be a bit convoluted, assuming that they would consider calling the signaller and not simply dispatching a squad car to the crossing. And that's before we get to the question whether there are emergency telephones at level crossings in Australia...

• Like 1

When the ambulance that was being chased by the police crashed into the level crossing near Skipton, the police didn’t even pick up the phone in the yellow box by the crossing to warn the signaller.

all captured on camera by channel 5 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ess1uk said:

When the ambulance that was being chased by the police crashed into the level crossing near Skipton, the police didn’t even pick up the phone in the yellow box by the crossing to warn the signaller.

all captured on camera by channel 5 

Having seen that footage I'm not sure that using the phone would have made a difference given there was about a 30 seconds between the ambulance crashing into the crossing and the train coming.

Edited by Aire Head
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, Aire Head said:

Having seen that footage I'm not sure that using the phone would have made a difference given there was about a 30 seconds between the ambulance crashing into the crossing and the train coming.

But the Police wouldn't have known when the next train was due, 

so should have used the phone as it might have made the difference.

• Agree 7

24 minutes ago, jcm@gwr said:

But the Police wouldn't have known when the next train was due, 

so should have used the phone as it might have made the difference.

It's 30 seconds between the vehicle on the tracks and the train. The police can clearly be seen waving at the train as it approaches while the train also uses its horn. 

Grabbing a phone wouldnt have made a difference.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Aire Head said:

It's 30 seconds between the vehicle on the tracks and the train. The police can clearly be seen waving at the train as it approaches while the train also uses its horn. 

Whether it would have made a difference or not, if there is a phone provided at a LX then it should be first thing that you use in the event of an accident. That phone gets through to the controlling signalbox and we can then do what we can to stop trains.

Andy G

Signalman.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, uax6 said:

Whether it would have made a difference or not, if there is a phone provided at a LX then it should be first thing that you use in the event of an accident. That phone gets through to the controlling signalbox and we can then do what we can to stop trains.

As required by Rule 299 of the Highway Code (2015 edition).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, uax6 said:

Andy G

Signalman.

The video stops just after the train passes so you are assuming they didn't do this afterwards.

I don't disagree with you I just think there is a lot of assumptions being made about a short peice of footage.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Aire Head said:

Neither would waving at the train, the point being made (and you are missing) is there are procedures which should be followed and Police Officers SHOULD know what they are, in this case they either didnt know or couldnt be bothered.

You will be surprised how quickly an emergency call can be sent when the Signaller is made aware of a problem!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Aire Head said:

The video stops just after the train passes so you are assuming they didn't do this afterwards.

I don't disagree with you I just think there is a lot of assumptions being made about a short peice of footage.

And you are assuming an awful lot as well.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Aire Head said:

Yes I suppose your right.

It is rather a big assumption that grabbing the phone to the signal box 30 seconds before the train reaches you wouldn't stop it from crashing.

And if the train had been a minute away picking up the phone could/would/should have enabled it to be stopped in time, the fact they never went near the phone meant there was no chance of stopping the train! potato potahto.

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, royaloak said:

And if the train had been a minute away picking up the phone could/would/should have enabled it to be stopped in time, the fact they never went near the phone meant there was no chance of stopping the train! potato potahto.

They could see how close the train was they knew it was 30 seconds away.

I'm very familiar with the crossing concerned before you say that it is an assumption.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I get that waving to alert the driver to the danger is a natural instinct, I can't help but think that if the train is close enough for them to see, then it was probably also close enough for the driver to see what was going on, and also that (in general terms) even if you can see the train that is approaching, phoning the signaller could enable them to stop the one you can't that's approaching 30 seconds later in the opposite direction

• Like 1
  • Agree 3