Level crossing stupidity...

One from the archives: https://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/BoT_FrostLane1926.pdf when 20mph was considered fast!

Car equipment has certainly improved, though.  Imagine having to hand crank the winscreen wiper every 50 yards.

Must say I think the inspecting officer was a bit harsh in claiming that it was broad daylight, 45minutes to sunset on an overcast drizzly late November day is unlikely to be broad daylight!

To have been on Frost Lane when traveling from Totton to Calshot, the Flying Officer must indeed have been lost.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 20/02/2020 at 01:05, Dave Hunt said:

And today I went over the level crossing at Wem again without any mishap!

Better than I managed - got quite a clunk over the Furness Vale crossing this afternoon, something's getting worn there.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Border Reiver said:

Striking similarities to the vehicle-versus-train collisions on the RH&DR although thankfully without injuries and the loco was able to haul the train to its destination.  

• Agree 2

speechless  open and watch the video 

emonde.fr/les-decodeurs/article/2020/02/17/cette-video-d-enfants-traversant-un-passage-a-niveau-a-ete-tournee-a-prague_6029859_4355770.html?fbclid=IwAR3rySeQd4BaxuZGuNdicx6sf3zha_wAhCXtRob_lEhJqFp_Hsvg_WlzYSg

Edited by peanuts

On 18/02/2020 at 09:55, jamie92208 said:

I think I once saw somewhere that a film usually only contains about 10% of a book's content.

Jamie

My mother was a fairly successful novelist in the 1970s. One of her books was adapted into an American TV movie called "Between Two Women" (my mum always sold well in the USA).

The book, for anyone familiar with our family, was a closely autobiographical story of my mum's fraught relationship with her mother-in-law, my grandmother. In the film:

The setting moved from the Home Counties to Malibu;

My dad switched from being a computer programmer to a sculptor;

My grandma switched from being the widow of a mid-ranking civil servant to the widow of a billionaire; 

and my mum switched from being my mum to being Farrah Fawcett.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 10

2 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Was your dad pleased with that?

He probably would have been, but I don't recall. He'd probably have been more chuffed to have been played by Michael Nouri, who you still see on TV today and who still has a fine head of hair, which my dad did not.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Jim Martin said:

My mother was a fairly successful novelist in the 1970s. One of her books was adapted into an American TV movie called "Between Two Women" (my mum always sold well in the USA).

The book, for anyone familiar with our family, was a closely autobiographical story of my mum's fraught relationship with her mother-in-law, my grandmother. In the film:

The setting moved from the Home Counties to Malibu;

My dad switched from being a computer programmer to a sculptor;

My grandma switched from being the widow of a mid-ranking civil servant to the widow of a billionaire; 

and my mum switched from being my mum to being Farrah Fawcett.

Apart from those changes - just like the original!

• Funny 4