Level crossing stupidity...

It joins farmer's fields either side of the Liverpool & Manchester Railway line about three-quarters of a mile east of Rainhill station. This photo was taken from the intervening public footbridge on 10 February 2014, before the wires went up.

DSCF5253s.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, LMS2968 said:

It joins farmer's fields either side of the Liverpool & Manchester Railway line about three-quarters of a mile east of Rainhill station. This photo was taken from the intervening public footbridge on 10 February 2014, before the wires went up.

DSCF5253s.jpg

That looks like just a foot path crossing

• Agree 2

17 hours ago, 96701 said:

But we don't know, do we? We've got one side of the story from a bloke who got annoyed and had a rant to his phone and posted it on social media. 

No we don't know......I thought that was what I had said !! (regarding the actions of both the farmer and NR)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, LMS2968 said:

No. it will take vehicles. The 300mm lens has foreshortened it. The distance from the camera is about half a mile.

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In April, RAIB released 'Summaries of Learning' :

"These are the most significant areas in which we have ongoing concerns about the control of risk in the railway industry. The summaries are intended to describe what the risks are and how they arise, what our investigations have found, and the important areas for safety learning."

They use information collated from all relevent incidents to date and there is one focusing on user-worked crossings:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/summary-of-learning-1-design-and-operation-of-user-worked-level-crossings

• Informative/Useful 3

On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 16:47, boxbrownie said:

No one is saying you should, just a little bit of common sense both sides and more communication at the time rather than a flat NO or obstinacy to explain might have helped more.

I don't know the signaller concerned, but, a user wouldn't get a flat No or obstinacy from me, I try and explain I am many miles away from the user and have many crossings under my control and I need the assistance of the user in determining the location they want to cross at so they can do so safely, I can think of only one problem crossing at the locations where I work, it is one where the farmer reported the telephones not working at a crossing connecting 2 of his fields, but, then refused to let the S&T people cross his land to get to the crossing to fix them!

Ian

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, ianwales said:

I can think of only one problem crossing at the locations where I work, it is one where the farmer reported the telephones not working at a crossing connecting 2 of his fields, but, then refused to let the S&T people cross his land to get to the crossing to fix them!

No doubt his ancestor had set his labourers with pitchforks onto the surveyors back in the 1840s. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, ianwales said:

I don't know the signaller concerned, but, a user wouldn't get a flat No or obstinacy from me, I try and explain I am many miles away from the user and have many crossings under my control and I need the assistance of the user in determining the location they want to cross at so they can do so safely, I can think of only one problem crossing at the locations where I work, it is one where the farmer reported the telephones not working at a crossing connecting 2 of his fields, but, then refused to let the S&T people cross his land to get to the crossing to fix them!

Ian

Wasn't this bloke was it?

image.png.95b965a77afd153ba840867736f6e028.png

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

On the Inverness/Aberdeen route there is an occupation crossing with a long history of dispute and aggravation between the user and the railway; I once saw the folder containing the relevant communications and they went back, quite literally, decades ! A regular complaint from the user was phones not being answered or defective, however the S&T staff became reluctant to attend having been threatened in the past.

Nearly four years after I retired I can still remember the names of both the crossing and the user (although I will not publish them here).

We in Control got involved when the controlling signalbox was closed, as the user then phoned us instead, and my colleagues, knowing the history, dreaded having to deal with them. Personally I never actually had any problem with them, and I did actually have a little sympathy for the user as there had unfortunately been one occasion when they were given permission to cross before a train had passed.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

If he was on the way to work that could have been a rather expensive wait.

There are traffic lights on the road junction but I couldn't see any covering the road across the line. I should have thought they should be the near side of the crossing.

I can see why there are accidents with that kind of road/rail intersection.

Jonathan

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

There are traffic lights on the road junction but I couldn't see any covering the road across the line. I should have thought they should be the near side of the crossing.

Apart from the half barrier and lights to the right of the cyclist?

It is in Canada -  they are on the right.... which is their nearside

• Like 1

4 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

IIRC its quite common in CANADA for the lights to be up on gantries on the far side of the intersection as are the ones you can see. The lights for the cross street would thus be out of sight.

• Like 1