Level crossing stupidity...

By a strange coincidence, last night I was reading the July 2004 Trains magazine which has a report of Union Pacific being fined $13000 because a stabled coal train blocked a road in Wisconsin for more than six hours; The crew had indeed split the train to clear one crossing but had not realised it was still blocking another !

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Haven't these people come across the concept of the bridge?

There has been a proposal to put the Ashland tracks in a partially covered trench with the same or similar crossing points but IIRC the residents objected because they like their trains!

They actually have a train day. (like many other US communities)

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Yes, the lights are obvious now! I think towards the end of the video when I thought about looking for them the camera must have been on close-up.

If trains stop for 20 minutes at that crossing as a regular habit I can see why road users might get impatient. But it seems to be a common feature in North American towns. I suppose slightly better than running half way down the main street and then stopping for a break!

Jonathan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Reorte said:

If it's got multiple locos and is going to be there for a while then split the train either side of the crossing :) (not a serious suggestion BTW).

There are actually instances of that happening on CSX lines in Florida when trains are stabled on passing loops for long periods.

Many long trains (and not just the really heavy ones) now have mid-train locos - DPU - distributed power unit. Often done by effectively combining two trains to run as one to simplify yard operations along the way.

Apologies for drifting from the sub-forum title of UK prototype!

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, melmerby said:

They actually have a train day. (like many other US communities)

Initially I read that as "a train a day", which is possible, I suppose, though it might be one train on one day of the year...

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Initially I read that as "a train a day", which is possible, I suppose, though it might be one train on one day of the year...

Amtrak passenger services are a bit like that...............:D

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Hroth said:

In some American communities one train a week is not uncommon.

7 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

In some American communities one train a week is not uncommon.

Which might have encouraged their interest in cars which can go well {in a straight line} and the modelling of freight trains.

Julian

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Not stupidity but the ultimate in level crossing frustration. Saw a clip on YouTube of a typical US intermodal, x miles long going on and on and on over a level crossing.

Then, with the end of the train almost in sight, the last six-or-so cars decided to derail. The train goes into emergency and stops on the crossing, with only the derailed cars left still to pass!

Don't know where it occurred but can just imagine that, as a result, this long train also blocked pretty much every crossing in the town.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, keefer said:

Not stupidity but the ultimate in level crossing frustration. Saw a clip on YouTube of a typical US intermodal, x miles long going on and on and on over a level crossing.

Then, with the end of the train almost in sight, the last six-or-so cars decided to derail. The train goes into emergency and stops on the crossing, with only the derailed cars left still to pass!

Don't know where it occurred but can just imagine that, as a result, this long train also blocked pretty much every crossing in the town.

IIRC that has appeared here on RMweb maybe even on this thread. The problem was that the driver was about a mile away and wasn't aware that something was wrong until the air lines split and the brakes went on. It took a few hours to get the train moving again after uncoupling the errant cars and it took several more hours for the recovery crews to clear the tracks and the crossing. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

There's a video somewhere of a grade crossing in a city (Seattle?) next to a major league game. The train stops minutes before the game is due to start with many fans on the wrong side......

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

53 minutes ago, duncan said:

In the days when adverts were (almost) worth watching, vey few recently that even make sense

Unfortunately, most advertising types think that any publicity/exposure is good for the brand.

What they haven't realised is that there is such a thing as negative advertising, if an advert is

sufficiently annoying, or just banal, I will remember the brand, specifically to avoid them!

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Hobby said:

I can't find any list of the adverts they did. Shame as if we knew the title I am sure YouTube would have it somewhere! 

It might have been for another brand. There is a couple of compilations of Hamlet ads, one is more than 12 minutes long.

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, jcm@gwr said:

Unfortunately, most advertising types think that any publicity/exposure is good for the brand.

What they haven't realised is that there is such a thing as negative advertising, if an advert is

sufficiently annoying, or just banal, I will remember the brand, specifically to avoid them!

:offtopic:

My current hate is Cazoo.

"That's the sound of a gospel choir, they just bought a car online with Cazoo"

"Buy a second hand car online and have it delivered to your door."

Buy online? Really? I want to see and drive a car before I buy it:yes:

I suppose these days as long as you can do it on a phone it's OK.

What's next? Brain surgery online?:jester:

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 5

11 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

It might have been for another brand. There is a couple of compilations of Hamlet ads, one is more than 12 minutes long.

It sounds about right for one of their adds, though. I've watched a couple of compilations and they didn't have it. I'm surprised there isn't a list somewhere online of them all, Wiki has a page on them but no list.

I've been stuck at Hartlebury LC a couple of times over the past few days and now have some sympathy with that van driver who destroyed the gates a few pages back! The first day I sat for nearly 5 minutes (I was clock watching!) until a Round Oak steel train trundled through and on the second occasion it was nearly 7 minutes, though that was due to two passenger trains both stopping at the station. I don't know where the treadle is (I am assuming it's worked that way?) but surely they could revise the waiting times, it's not a high speed line (75mph I think) so surely it could be reduced?

• Like 1