Level crossing stupidity...

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, melmerby said:

:offtopic:

My current hate is Cazoo.

"That's the sound of a gospel choir, they just bought a car online with Cazoo"

"Buy a second hand car online and have it delivered to your door."

Buy online? Really? I want to see and drive a car before I buy it:yes:

I suppose these days as long as you can do it on a phone it's OK.

What's next? Brain surgery online?:jester:

I've been unable to work out how someone buying a second hand car on line is a hero.  I concluded that it is just the latest round of language devaluation.

Adrian

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, rab said:

Thats the way to do it.

Who needs all this fancy equipment.

A bit of chain and a flag works much better :)

Slightly worrying the camera(person) was standing on one line while the 1st train went past on the other :O

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, rab said:

Thats the way to do it.

Looks like electrickery is on the way.

And proper trains, none of these poncey 11 coach trains like in the UK

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, rab said:

Thats the way to do it.

So how does the guy know when to come and put the chain across?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, melmerby said:

Looks like electrickery is on the way.

Actually Pakistan de-electrified the Lahore - Khanewhal line back in 2011 citing theft of the OHL wires as the reason.  What's seen in the video are the rusting masts yet to be removed (or maybe retained just in case?) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pakistan_Railways (Scroll down)

• Like 2

On 24/07/2020 at 21:16, melmerby said:

:offtopic:

My current hate is Cazoo.

"That's the sound of a gospel choir, they just bought a car online with Cazoo"

"Buy a second hand car online and have it delivered to your door."

Buy online? Really? I want to see and drive a car before I buy it:yes:

I suppose these days as long as you can do it on a phone it's OK.

What's next? Brain surgery online?:jester:

You think buying a car online is insane how about buying a house online. There are some estate agents offering online viewing only, I know because we are house hunting at the moment. 

Edited by Ohmisterporter
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ohmisterporter said:

You think buying a car online is insane how about buying a house online. There are some estate agents offering online viewing only, I know because we are house hunting at the moment. 

Our neighbour just moved out of his house last week, he popped across to say goodbye and tell us the new owners would be moving in this week sometime......he hasn’t seen them, they didn’t visit just bought through the agency, very trusting for a £3m house :o

• Like 5
  • Funny 2

5 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Our neighbour just moved out of his house last week, he popped across to say goodbye and tell us the new owners would be moving in this week sometime......he hasn’t seen them, they didn’t visit just bought through the agency, very trusting for a £3m house :o

Obviously an investment rather than a family home .............

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

Obviously an investment rather than a family home .............

It is their “bolt hole” in Cornwall as the new owner told us this week......they will be here for R&R often apparently.

• Like 3

I guess if you can drop 3m on a "bolt hole", you've the people and the financial resources to sort out any problems that might arise from skipping the inspection. 

• Agree 4

17 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Expect to see £50 notes hanging out to dry?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, PatB said:

I guess if you can drop 3m on a "bolt hole", you've the people and the financial resources to sort out any problems that might arise from skipping the inspection. 

Certainly the financial resources but the the previous owners were well known in design and high end commodities and shall we say not wanting for the folding stuff, the house has been totally reworked and decorated in the appropriate style (no Ikea stuff there :lol:) and sold completely furnished, it’s a known 1930’s architect designed Art Deco house.
But I don’t doubt the new owners will spend just as much again.......I would if I could, they have a new designer garage with a lower workshop/hobby room and flat which would make an amazing railway room......I’m going to have to work in the new owner, I can see that :lol:

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Network Rail seem to have been quick off the mark releasing the CCTV of an HGV running red lights and taking the barriers out on Friday at Manningtree.   The local press had the video up on their site about 3 hours after the incident

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/video-lorry-crashes-through-level-crossing-barriers-1-6762674

Martin

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, mcowgill said:

Network Rail seem to have been quick off the mark releasing the CCTV of an HGV running red lights and taking the barriers out on Friday at Manningtree.   The local press had the video up on their site about 3 hours after the incident

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/video-lorry-crashes-through-level-crossing-barriers-1-6762674

Martin

Foreign trailer, possibly tractor too.

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, mcowgill said:

Martin

44 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Foreign trailer, possibly tractor too.

British company based in Runcorn. I expect the management have had a call from the BTP.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

9 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

British company based in Runcorn. I expect the management have had a call from the BTP.

...and the driver 'on the carpet' the following morning, being directed to nearest Job Centre...

Edited by talisman56
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Ohmisterporter said:

The world is changing. And the way we live and undertake business is too. Everything is becoming digital, electronic and moving on to the internet.  

A lot more people today have less connection with property (houses, cars, etc.,), view ownership as very transient and have less time (or can't be bothered) to invest in the old labour and time consuming buying processes. Whereas oldies want to test drive cars, check over houses, take their time and make sure they are not rooked, the younger generation has less inclination to such frivolities, and are happy to pare back on them. Perhaps they also see it as oldie obsessiveness.

I guess we're all going to have to start embracing the future and stepping away from the practices of the past. We no longer have steam trains despite the old generation venerating them. And I even had to make an appointment to get my hair cut the other day. Never done that before.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, grahame said:

The world is changing. And the way we live and undertake business is too. Everything is becoming digital, electronic and moving on to the internet.  

A lot more people today have less connection with property (houses, cars, etc.,), view ownership as very transient and have less time (or can't be bothered) to invest in the old labour and time consuming buying processes. Whereas oldies want to test drive cars, check over houses, take their time and make sure they are not rooked, the younger generation has less inclination to such frivolities, and are happy to pare back on them. Perhaps they also see it as oldie obsessiveness.

I guess we're all going to have to start embracing the future and stepping away from the practices of the past. We no longer have steam trains despite the old generation venerating them. And I even had to make an appointment to get my hair cut the other day. Never done that before.

Sounds pretty darned dystopian to me. I might have to put up with that but there's no way in hell I'll embrace it (had to make an appointment for a haircut too, but I'm fine with exceptions in exceptional circumstances).

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

On 27/07/2020 at 11:16, mcowgill said:

Martin

BBC caught up with it today!  Or, looking at the time, yesterday!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-essex-53570958/lorry-smashes-through-essex-level-crossing-barrier

• Like 1

On ‎27‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 11:16, mcowgill said:

Martin

Certainly shows the benefit of having cameras at level crossings as it will hopefully bring more of these idiots to justice. I passed through Stowmarket the other week and noticed they were installing cameras there.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...