Level crossing stupidity...

8 hours ago, melmerby said:

I wonder which part of the instruction "STOP" they misunderstood:jester:

(All directions are "Stop")

I'm intrigued that there appear to be barriers to block off the cross street for trains to pass (presumably), whilst the street that actually has the railway line running down the middle of it has no such protections.

• Like 1

There's been several train/road vehicle crashes there, people have posted the videos on here. Seems they just like to crash there! Here's one from 2017 (I am sure it's been posted before, lots more on YouTube):

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, PatB said:

I'm intrigued that there appear to be barriers to block off the cross street for trains to pass (presumably), whilst the street that actually has the railway line running down the middle of it has no such protections.

Bit difficult as the cars travel along the tracks!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

so, if that was the gate and it was locked then...

"Motorist crashes through locked gates and damages oncoming train. Then causes major disruption to many intending passengers."

Kev.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Odd how cars do that - and break through large metal barriers - of their own volition .............. and odd how the - obviously totally uninjured - driver was "hurt after train collides with car".

Looking at the map, Janefield Avenue (mentioned in the BBC report) runs towards the railway, in fact towards lineside access gates as described by ajwffc. So it looks as if rather than turning left or right, the motorist has gone straight on through the gates and onto the line !

• Informative/Useful 2

On 15/08/2020 at 18:30, caradoc said:

Looking at the map, Janefield Avenue (mentioned in the BBC report) runs towards the railway, in fact towards lineside access gates as described by ajwffc. So it looks as if rather than turning left or right, the motorist has gone straight on through the gates and onto the line !

yes, down a narrow residential street, across a T junction & through the gates

• Like 2

On 12/08/2020 at 16:25, melmerby said:

Bit difficult as the cars travel along the tracks!

Well, yes, pretty much my point. It's OK to have some cars on the tracks, but not others.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PatB said:

Well, yes, pretty much my point. It's OK to have some cars on the tracks, but not others.

It's really no different to street running trams (but much heavier and longer!) where quite often motor traffic runs with the trams but at crossroads there are traffic lights so that motorists can't cross, whilst a tram is on the crossing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 96701 said:

No excuse for crossing when the train was in sight - BUT it looks like it would have been hidden by foliage until something like ten seconds before it got to the crossing. ( Stop and Listen - even if it's pointless Looking )

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

No excuse for crossing when the train was in sight - BUT it looks like it would have been hidden by foliage until something like ten seconds before it got to the crossing. ( Stop and Listen - even if it's pointless Looking )

True but when you're still at one side, and start to run to get to the other...? The only reason the last one can have had for starting to run is seeing the train, yet he was still at the edge of the crossing. Even if he thought it was on the right hand track, surely stepping back would be the most sensible thing, not running across...

...actually, no, I answered my own question. There's "the most sensible thing" and then there's what people actually do.

• Agree 10