Level crossing stupidity...

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, EddieB said:

Edit: To add that the light probably has a trailing cable connection - which surely can't be laid over the level crossing.

Old fashioned.

These days, most I see are radio linked with a self contained traffic column/battery box/receiver.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Was with the MOM when the call for these came in, but sadly its not unusual to see this sort of set up, and until someone tells you (usually a train driver as was this case) you don't even get to know about it.

The supervising equipment for an AHBC in the signalbox/panel is very basic, power on/off indicators, and a barrier rasied, working, failed indicator. No way of dropping the barriers and they aren't interlocked with signals.... Even people who work on the railways are amazed that thats all there is!

Andy G

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 minutes ago, duncan said:

For those without twitter, could someone post a picture of what the above is about please 

Membership of Twitter isn't necessary.

Photos & posting done on Twitter can still be viewed online using an ordinary browser.

Twitter can be accessed [by anybody], but requires membership if wishing to post or comment on a Twitter feed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, alastairq said:

Membership of Twitter isn't necessary.

Photos & posting done on Twitter can still be viewed online using an ordinary browser.

Twitter can be accessed [by anybody], but requires membership if wishing to post or comment on a Twitter feed.

It doesn't always show up in browsers

I find (if I can actually see a link*) I need to open the link in a new window, else nothing happens.

* sometimes no link visible, it's not consistent.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Welly said:

19 hours ago, melmerby said:

Retribution coming for the driver as well, with a cop there able to witness it all.

I got the feeling the truck was trying to reverse out of the way of the police car. Whatever it was, a severe lack of situational awareness. :O 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, melmerby said:

I've seen them on roads where there is a side road entering half way along the works and there is no provision for them.

So you can enter from the side road into the road works area, when there isn't a queue for the lights so you can't tell their state, go in either direction and are confronted by angry motorists coming towards you. (I've had that happen)

Whenever I've seen that there's usually been a "joining traffic not signal controlled" sign, unless it's just for houses along the traffic light stretch. One I saw once was the opposite - a set of traffic lights on a rough track that joined during the roadworks. That looked a bit odd, I presume there were some houses down there.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I can imagine what would happen if the lights went green just as the barriers were coming down. Some chancer would try to cross.

Some would deliberately chance it, and some might just react to the green light anyway. This would also be a problem if it was in front of the barriers - light's green, people just looking at the nearest thing (yes I know they shouldn't but there are enough who will) - I'm not sure if there is a good answer to traffic lights close to a level crossing, and that ideally the light should be quite some way in front. Even then it would have to be synchronised with the crossing otherwise the crossing closes and you end up with people at either side of the barriers.

edit to add: I mean either side on the road, not stranded on the crossing!

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

• 2 weeks later...

Driven by a cock-croach. They didn't just bump the front wheels down over the edge but managed to get the whole car off the platform. Was he/she trying to jump the tracks to get to the next platform?

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, big jim said:

What amazes me is the airbag hasn’t gone off!

pics of the car after recovery show it far more damaged after being winched on the tow truck the than when it Flew off the platform 

Airbags not deployed as the impact wasn’t severe enough, most airbags won’t deploy under roughly 12-15 mph, car probably just literally drove off the edge, didn’t need to be going fast.......would be interesting to see the CCTV footage of the incident.

• Agree 1