Level crossing stupidity...

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, big jim said:

what did I start posting that tweet!

for fullness here is where the car entered the platform, no expert but looking at the tyre tracks it looks to be have been wheel spinning up the curve and through ‘the gravel trap’

Looks as if it was parked with the front wheels up against the kerb (dry patch between the wheel marks). Likely scenario it was left parked in gear and when the driver went to start he floored the accelerator. The rear wheels upon hitting the kerb would have bounced lifting them enough to clear the platform.

13 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Oh yes there is! My Rover 75, and its predeccesor, Rover 827, has a button to lift before moving the stick to reverse. And I had to drive a number of cars when fitting 2-way radio a few years ago, I don't remember any that didn't have one.

All autos I've driven, old and new, have a locking mechanism you have to press to take it out of Park, but once you have done that you can carry on through R/N/D without having to do anything else, is that what you mean? My point, and that by an earlier poster, is that once its out of park its quite easy to slide the leaver too far (D) or not far enough (R) and end up in the wrong gear.

• Agree 1

If you keep your finger on the button(!) and not take it off does it allow you to traverse R N D in one go, that is what i meant. You don't have to pause, take your finger off the button, then press it again, just do it from R to D in one go? For instance on the Golf you press the button in to take it out of Park, keep it pressed in, and it will go all the way to D without you doing anything else.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hobby said:

If you keep your finger on the button(!) and not take it off does it allow you to traverse R N D in one go, that is what i meant. You don't have to pause, take your finger off the button, then press it again, just do it from R to D in one go? For instance on the Golf you press the button in to take it out of Park, keep it pressed in, and it will go all the way to D without you doing anything else.

That’s the way it’s supposed to work, what YOUR not supposed to do is keep your finger on the button between changes.........but hey ho.........

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, ajwffc said:

clip of the recovery 

I wonder if the owner will submit a claim for

damaget to the front end during recovery.

"It wasn't like that when I left it"! :)

• Funny 3

Similar happened [ on more than one occasion I believe??] at Bridlington, Quay Rd level crossing.

I personally witnessed a lady go onto the crossing from the 'town' side, promptly turn left onto the tracks, and come to a halt underneath a bemused signalman....

I couldn't hang around gawping, however, I was driver of one of EYMS's service 121 buses....[out of Driffield]

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

Looks like a set of researched statistics, with any dubious conclusions identified and discussed.  It's difficult to see how that equates to sexism.

Julian

I was using the statistics to rebuff the sexism in the post that I quoted, the one suggesting that the explanation for the car ending up on the track was that it was a woman driving it. 

Andi

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

I was using the statistics to rebuff the sexism in the post that I quoted, the one suggesting that the explanation for the car ending up on the track was that it was a woman driving it. 

Andi

Apologies, I should have scrolled back to refresh the train of posts, in my mind.

Strangely, I don't know if it is specific to here, but for the last 7 - 8 years, around here, it is the Ladetts who are the purveyors of aggressive driving, poor speed and positioning judgement, cornering at speeds impossible to avoid anything round them, jumping lights, accidents and the like.  I haven't the faintest idea how that reflects in the rest of the country, if at all.  It may just be a factor of the proportions of this particular population.

Julian

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jcredfer said:

Apologies, I should have scrolled back to refresh the train of posts, in my mind.

Strangely, I don't know if it is specific to here, but for the last 7 - 8 years, around here, it is the Ladetts who are the purveyors of aggressive driving, poor speed and positioning judgement, cornering at speeds impossible to avoid anything round them, jumping lights, accidents and the like.  I haven't the faintest idea how that reflects in the rest of the country, if at all.  It may just be a factor of the proportions of this particular population.

Julian

That was the sort of behaviour I based my comment on,

which incidentally was intended tongue in cheek.

I keep forgetting that sort of thing

doesn't always work on social media.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

So, the lights are flashing. The red truck runs the lights, then the black truck cuts across the front of the white semi - and runs the lights. Then finally the white semi runs the lights - and gets hit. 

Total of 3 drivers all running the lights. And it does look like there's lights facing the direction they're coming from.

Took a while to realise the crew member bailed off the steps of the loco!

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Titan said:

I do find it odd that despite no vehicles stopping at the lights the engineer decides to go for it anyway...

On most American locomotives the engineer sits on the right and as the locomotive was running hood first he (or she) would not be able to see the trucks. The conductor on the forward steps was signalling to someone in the cab who was likely passing it on to the engineer. Add to that the fact that a heavy train takes some stopping even at walking pace.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Add to that the fact that a heavy train takes some stopping even at walking pace.

It was a light engine that started moving, not a heavy train stopping.

• Like 1