Level crossing stupidity...

7 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Not a level crossing, but total stupidity that came close to being a tragedy

That is horrifying.  What a family of idiots, and sending the wrong message to their kids.  I'd expect that sort of thing on some unfenced line in the middle of the desert, but that looks to be an elevated, suburban mainline, fenced-off too.

Mindyou, I live near the KWVR, and have had to report the same trespassing on the line about three weeks in a row, a teenage lad who stomps up the line with his hood up.  Must be a local given how often I've seen him.  It would be bad enough on weekdays when there's only the odd engineering train running, but this was weekends when they were still running a two-train service, so something running every 40 minutes or so.  Someone I spoke to (another local resident) reckons its the grown-up kids of families whose own parents were used to using the line as a shortcut.  He speculated that we're probably on the second or maybe even third generation of trespassers, who've grown up thinking it's normal...

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Ben B said:

That is horrifying.  What a family of idiots, and sending the wrong message to their kids.  I'd expect that sort of thing on some unfenced line in the middle of the desert, but that looks to be an elevated, suburban mainline, fenced-off too.

Mindyou, I live near the KWVR, and have had to report the same trespassing on the line about three weeks in a row, a teenage lad who stomps up the line with his hood up.  Must be a local given how often I've seen him.  It would be bad enough on weekdays when there's only the odd engineering train running, but this was weekends when they were still running a two-train service, so something running every 40 minutes or so.  Someone I spoke to (another local resident) reckons its the grown-up kids of families whose own parents were used to using the line as a shortcut.  He speculated that we're probably on the second or maybe even third generation of trespassers, who've grown up thinking it's normal...

The dress of that family looks to be Amish to me (no powered devices), they may be out towners.  They would have to have got there by horse carriage though.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, dhjgreen said:

The dress of that family looks to be Amish to me (no powered devices), they may be out towners.  They would have to have got there by horse carriage though.

How does the teenager in jeans and sweatshirt power his camera?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

26 minutes ago, petethemole said:

They don't look like Amish; another source (daily Fail) suggests they were Mennonites (similar theological origins as Amish but less strict) who are widespread in Pennsylvania.

Not quite sure why which particular branch of a religion matters when looking at the behaviour of pillocks...

Julian

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, petethemole said:

They don't look like Amish; another source (daily Fail) suggests they were Mennonites (similar theological origins as Amish but less strict) who are widespread in Pennsylvania.

The Railcam in view is Greencastle PA

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, petethemole said:

The family's dress style suggests that they believe their lives are in the hands of a higher power.

Maybe, but once they knew the train was coming, their belief in a 'higher power' to protect them, vanished quick smart!

• Agree 3

15 hours ago, petethemole said:

Whoever they were, clearly they had never seen a railway line before and were unaware of its purpose; There cannot be any other explanation for their idiotic behaviour ? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, caradoc said:

Whoever they were, clearly they had never seen a railway line before and were unaware of its purpose; There cannot be any other explanation for their idiotic behaviour ? 

Their behaviour reminded me of Harry Enfields Aliens 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

.... then charged him with every offence they could think of - except anything relating to endangering the public or trespass on a railway or  ............

Wouldn’t that be down to the BTP though?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

.... then charged him with every offence they could think of - except anything relating to endangering the public or trespass on a railway or  ............

12 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Wouldn’t that be down to the BTP though?

Two different police authorities. The local police were the force dealing with it in the first place and have the more serious charges. The BTP can tack any charges relating to the railway onto the charge sheet later. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Two different police authorities. The local police were the force dealing with it in the first place and have the more serious charges. The BTP can tack any charges relating to the railway onto the charge sheet later. 

Indeed, that’s what I thought.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I seem to remember that the railway offences often carry a very heavy sentence particularly if life is endangered. The charges are available to Home Office forces but the officers don't know about them.  However they are all on the database of charges that all officers have access to.  When I was developing that system BTP made a major contribution and obviously the railway offences were added.

Jamie

• Informative/Useful 6